Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antique Dell which OS to run ?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 StressInducer

StressInducer

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:19 PM

Hello I'm a newb and want to keep an old desktop running. It had windows XP PRO UNTIL I wiped it out and installed Ubunta 14 32bit  and its running painfully slow. I can't remember if the XP was 32bit or 64bit. The Dell is a Dimension 8250 - Intel Pentium 4CPU 2.40GHZ - 513mb Ram - Nvidia graphics NV17X86/MMX/SSE2 AND 80gb HDD. The HDD was replaced 3 years ago. Thank You in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:27 PM

Oh man such ancient hardware, one of those infameous dells too with RDRAM and when they wanted you to use dell only parts.

Hate to say it but maybe its time to retire it, no matter the distro it wont run that well on such a old outdated beast.

Especially if you need something on the easy side, even puppy will be pushing it.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 StressInducer

StressInducer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:43 PM

Wow I guess it's time to let go. I'll try PUPPY just to see. It's been sitting in the closet for a year now and I saw this Linux forum and decided to give it a shot. The XP kept getting malware on it and I got tired of fixing it. Thank you anyway.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,166 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:45 PM

Its the RDRAM is where you are getting issues from, at that time Dell was one of the worst companies to buy from.

Sure by now Dell has averaged out but at that time you would have been better off even with a emachine

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,004 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:10 PM

I say try this, and then go down to puppy if needed.  You could try xbuntu etc. also but I just love Mint Xfce!  

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=193

Ubuntu 14 is way to much imo, I can't even run 12.04 on one of my old lappies.

Do you know, or maybe MadmanRB knows if RAM can be increased, as it is unusual RAM?  With a little more RAM you could stick with a Full Distro.

Or Precise Retro, look for the downloads in the paragraph right above the desktop pic.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Long-Term-Supported%20Puppy.htm 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,166 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:36 PM

Well its not like they are hard to find, but they are expensive as all hell

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:51 PM

Yep , the ram if you can find them , id just update the whole PC ....Get a New One.

If you go the Ram its ...2 GB Max for PC800 or 1.5 GB Max for PC1066 on that Motherboard.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,166 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:40 PM

Yep , the ram if you can find them , id just update the whole PC ....Get a New One.

If you go the Ram its ...2 GB Max for PC800 or 1.5 GB Max for PC1066 on that Motherboard.

Yeah but it can be costly, trust me RDRAM isnt cheap unless you know where to look and even then its not guaranteed to work, I just remember my sisters dell from the same time and it was a non upgradable piece of crap

Edited by MadmanRB, 31 December 2015 - 07:43 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,004 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:29 PM

Wow I guess it's time to let go. I'll try PUPPY just to see. It's been sitting in the closet for a year now and I saw this Linux forum and decided to give it a shot. The XP kept getting malware on it and I got tired of fixing it. Thank you anyway.

Give it a go you got nothing to loose but time.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:44 AM

@StressInducer:

Hi, and if no-one else has said it, :welcome: to BC and to the Linux Side of The Force.

Take a read of this Topic here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/600065/which-flavor-for-dinosaur-pc/

... and you may find a lot you can use?

@MadmanRB:

Ouch. I have 3 old Dell monitors that still work after 10 years (18" and 19"), which I throw into action when more recent (other brand like Acer and Toshiba) touchscreen laptops and touchscreen desktops - keel over (screenwise). Also a new Asus box and the Dell runs fine on it. Kept the old Dell boxes and am going to restore them and outfit with Linux, too.

:wizardball: Wizard

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:25 AM

StressInducer,  :welcome: to the Linux section of Bleeping Computer Forums! :)

Assuming that PC was able to run XP, there should be a very lightweight Linux that'll run on the machine, as XP can soak up some resources, it seemed like the more RAM one gives it (up to 3.25GB), the more it'll keep using. Many Linux distros, even 64 bit, only uses 600MB of RAM at idle, so it should be less for a lightweight 32 bit one. 

Lightweight Linux releases doesn't soak up as much resources as the PC has, though if very low on RAM, an upgrade may be good. On the other hand, with half of that same money, you can get many refurbished computers more powerful & ready to go, from $50 & up, some with free shipping. I'm looking for a replacement for one that I now have that's though an AMD dual core powered (4850e) & 6GB of DDR2 PC2-6400 RAM, can't seem to do much anything when it comes to power. I just know better next time not to fool with AMD PC's, in particular those with nVidia MB's. Garbage that's received no updated drivers since 2010. While I have a couple of faster HDD's, don't feel it's going to be a game changer, even with a 64MB cache, and since I have an MSI R7770 GPU waiting for a new home, it's time for a real tower (or mid-tower) PC, not SFF units. 

Fortunately, I got it for $29 & only purchased a $10 PSU upgrade, so it can be donated to charity w/out me losing much. In fact, stand a lot to gain with the right one, preferably one of the better Core 2 Quads, as close to 3.0GHz as I can get, using Passmark as a reference guide. If I'm lucky enough to find a Q9650 3.0GHz, it's the best of the lot, as there's only one of these manufactured that hits the this mark, one has to go to an i7 to beat it. 

Whatever, please don't do as I did 4 years ago, pouring cash into a sinking ship to squeeze every drop of performance out of the Dell that you have. And money would be best saved towards a newer one, which as I've stated, doesn't have to be expensive. Stay away from cheap AMD's & go with a Core 2 Duo or Quad, even Pentiums/Celerons of that era are a sour deal these days & the newer ones aren't a lot better, both should have been retired long ago. 

Should you need assistance, just ask, it's what we're here for. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,166 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:24 AM

@StressInducer:

Hi, and if no-one else has said it, :welcome: to BC and to the Linux Side of The Force.

Take a read of this Topic here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/600065/which-flavor-for-dinosaur-pc/

... and you may find a lot you can use?

@MadmanRB:

Ouch. I have 3 old Dell monitors that still work after 10 years (18" and 19"), which I throw into action when more recent (other brand like Acer and Toshiba) touchscreen laptops and touchscreen desktops - keel over (screenwise). Also a new Asus box and the Dell runs fine on it. Kept the old Dell boxes and am going to restore them and outfit with Linux, too.

Dells monitors from that time were actually pretty decent, its the rest of the company that had it bad.

After all that was the era of Dell's exploding laptop

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#13 StressInducer

StressInducer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 01:55 PM

Thank You for all the info. I have 3 hot rod machines less than 1 year old now running win.7 Pro - 8.1 Home - 10 Pro. I have been heavy into learning how to fix infected computers and ran across the Linux option for older XP machines. I would like to experiment with different Linux Operating systems. I just use the Dell to experiment on and have had success removing malware trogans and viruses using this site so if I screw it up no loss there. If the old Dell can't cut it I'll try to find a used machine to play with. What specs should I try to find ? I see cheap used towers on craigslist all the time.

#14 StressInducer

StressInducer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:25 PM

Lubunta seems to be working fairly well on this old Dell. UTube and general web browsing doing a good job. About 10 seconds to boot up Utube with good playback. Running applications on the start menu is snappy fast. Would antiX or Puppy be an even lighter choice to speed things up ? As is Lubunta is getting the job done.

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 07:15 PM

@StressInducer:

Would antiX or Puppy be an even lighter choice to speed things up ?

Maybe. If you refer to that Wikipedia article I referenced over at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/600065/which-flavor-for-dinosaur-pc/?p=3894304

... you can see a number of useful tips. Then you can simply Google eg "puppy linux specs" and follow up further.

A number of the lightweights ship with a Conky (like a system usage monitor) installed and running on the desktop, you can use these as a guide to how much RAM is being used, percentage of CPU utilised, etc.

With an 80GB HDD, you could install 3 - 4 Linux Distributions and compare them against each other? Certainly, two at a time would be easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users