Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OS is now on E: instead of C:; Recovery doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 francealot

francealot

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:15 AM

My computer had a few freezes last week and I had to simply turn it off, which may have scrambled its brains.  It only boots into System Recovery, which doesn't work.

I've tried all the various options, including changing drive letter designations from the command prompt, but nothing helps.

There were two Recovery volumes, one on C:.  I deleted that volume thru DiskPart, and then the oS moved to D:

I can boot from the Windows setup disk, but it only offers a reinstall - not a repair.  I don't really want to do a reinstall because the computer is now 5 years old.

I just ordered a new one, but would like to be able to use this one until the other arrives.

I've backed up my data (before the problem developed).

How can I change the OS drive back to C:?  OR How can I boot to what is now the OS drive, which oddly is D:?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:32 AM

Do you get the Advanced Boot Options when you tap F8 at boot? If you do then you should be able to select Repair Computer from the options and then do a Startup Repair.

#3 francealot

francealot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:42 AM

Yes, I get an advanced option and I've tried all those. The repair doesn't work.

The Command prompt allows me to see the drives and their contents. It shows "healthy" for the OS, but it's not on C.

Edited by francealot, 31 December 2015 - 11:55 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:56 AM

It may take up to three tries for a Startup Repair to be successful. Did you use the diskpart assign command to change the letter of your Windows partition?

At a command prompt type

bootrec.exe /scanos

Does it detect a Windows installation?

#5 francealot

francealot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:20 PM

I did system repair 11 times, according to the log.  No luck.

I also tried using diskpart assign command to change the letter. It changed while I was looking at it, but on boot, the sam thing happened.

I just tried bootrec.exe and it showed ZERO windows installations, although I can see everything including all my files on the volume now designated a D:

At this point, I don't want to overwrite all those files.

I have a second hard drive installed that I've only used as a scratch disk. Could I install windows on that disk and then copy files and app data from the currently non-booting disk?

Since I've ordered a new computer, I'd prefer to make this one work as well as possible for the next few weeks until I can receive and set up the new one.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:26 PM

You could install windows on the one hard drive and transfer your data but not your programs. Those would need to be reinstalled.

Open a command prompt and type the following.

diskpart

list disk

select disk X    where X is your Window disk

list volume

Post the output

#7 francealot

francealot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:28 PM

At the Command prompt, I typed D:, which got me to the current volume with my Windows and files.

It says, "Volume in Drive D is OS"

I then typed dir ... which shows the entire directory structure, including windows. I can change dir and look at all my files or change dir to Windows and see everything there.

There were a couple fo corrupted file messages in the attempted repairs, so that's likely the problem. What i don't understand is why the Windows CD doesn't allow for a "Repair" option.  I also have my "Recovery CD" that slo doens't work.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:30 PM

Do the commands in my previous post.

Edit: The Windows Install Disk should be allowed to do a System Restore or Startup Repair but in order to do a repair install you need to be able to boot into Windows 7. When you start the WIndows Install disk there should be a link in the lower left showing Repair Computer.

See the image here showing Repair Computer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 December 2015 - 12:33 PM.

#9 francealot

francealot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:42 PM

Hi:

Yes, I've just done the commands in your previous post. I'm having to write everything and then type it into this laptop. Here's the deal:

X:\windows\system32   diskpart

diskpart list disk

Disk 0   Online    931GB

Disk 1   Online    931GB

Disks 2-6 no media

-----------------------

at diskpart  Select Disk 0

Volume 0     F                        DVD-ROM

Volume 1     D     OS              Partition       919GB       Healthy

Volume 2     C     Recovery    Partition                         Healthy

Volume 3     E      ST              Partition                         Healthy

Volumes 4-8  are removable with nothing in them

I'll now go do Disk 1

Give me a couple of minutes and then I'll get to the next instruction

#10 francealot

francealot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:44 PM

I selected Disk 1 and it is identical to Disk 0

#11 francealot

francealot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:46 PM

When I used the Windows CD to boot up, the only option I was given was for a full Windows install.  There was no option for repair or Custom or anythign else.  I've used that kind of repair before on my mom's computer (with her disk), but the repair option isn't here on this CD or in this bootup.

I'll try it again.

Edited by francealot, 31 December 2015 - 12:48 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:52 PM

That is strange. I am wondering if you have a RAID setup. Do you have two internal drives setup as a mirrored array? That is the only thing I can think of as you why disk 0 and 1 are identical sizes with identical outputs.

The problem you are having in renaming D: To C: is you already have C: listed as a Recovery Partition. You can try renaming C: to something like E: and then D: back to C:

The 100MB  system reserved partition is also missing which is on a Windows 7 disk as default.

Do the above commands again and after

list volume  type

select volume 1

detail partition

Post the output. Is the partition listed as Active?

#13 francealot

francealot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:55 PM

In your post at 12:30 that has a link to images for the Windows disk ... If you look at image 6 ... On that screen, I don't have the option for repair.  I only have "Install Now" llike yours and only "What you need to know before installing windows."  I'm afraid to click "Install now" because it'll wipe out everything on the current disk and I'm still hoping to make it usable!

#14 francealot

francealot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:57 PM

I'll do your latest, but first - NO, I don't have RAID.  My ST volume is the second hard drive.

Yes, I did the drive letter changes, but it didn't work either.

I'll do the rest now.

Edited by francealot, 31 December 2015 - 12:57 PM.

#15 francealot

francealot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:08 PM

DISKPART> select vol 0

It says it's active, but when I ask "Detail partition", it says:

There is no disk selected,

Please select a disk and try again.