Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

external hard drive "removable" "no media" in Disk Management

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:04 AM

I bought a brand new U12-43837 Ultra 500GB external hard drive but as soon as I hook it up to the computer, the computer recognizes the drive, installs the driver, makes the hardware insert sound, but the drive does not appear in My Computer, it shows up in Disk Management as "Removable Drive" not as a hard drive! There is no option to format the drive or anything. Properties says it is working but nothing could be further from the truth. I found maybe only four incidents of this problem on the internet, however all were unresolved.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:29 AM

Who did you purchase this from. Doing a google shows that Ultra only manufacturers drive enclosures. You need to provide the physical hard disk drive. From your image it looks like you only have the enclosure. It shows the USB bridge which is in the enclosure but no drive. Have you opened the enclosure and made sure the drive if it exists is attached properly to the USB bridge card?

http://www.ultraproducts.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=2777

#3 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:44 PM

I but the 500GB SATA drive into the enclosure. the 500GB SATA drive is new too. it is indeed in the enclosure and I check all connections multiple times. everything is securely attached to the control board.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:55 PM

Then I would say the USB bridge card on the enclosure is defective. Have you tried a different USB port? The enclosure is USB 3 but it is backward compatible with USB 2 and should also work on a USB 2 port.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users