Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

We're happy you're here

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:42 AM

This message appears during the Windows 10 install. Does anyone else find this a bit creepy? Who is "we"? How do "they" know I'm here....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:00 AM

Eh, just another in the long line of faux "let's make this seem like a personal relationship" messages that get used so frequently these days.

Give me the old percentage complete and/or stage number/name of installation process messages.  However, it's better than "nothing happening" which I still see on some long installs, and is maddening because you really can't necessarily tell if nothing's really happening or not.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:18 PM

Aye, instead of "Nothing Happening", perhaps they should stick with the theme and say "Your installation is important to us, and will continue as soon as possible" (and play some Vivaldi while you wait)

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,007 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:34 PM

Aye, instead of "Nothing Happening", perhaps they should stick with the theme and say "Your installation is important to us, and will continue as soon as possible" (and play some Vivaldi while you wait)

Aieeeeeeeeeeeeee!!   Hold music, even were it to be Vivaldi, drives me crazy!   Give me the occasional, and I mean very occasional, delicate tone of some sort any day.  Of course, I do know that increasing the frequency of progress tones is also an accessibility feature as well, since the blind or vision-impaired either can't, or have distinct difficulty, seeing progress bars.  My preference would, in my ideal world, be the thing speaking and saying something along the lines of, "Install 10% complete, will report again at 20%," or something similar where, of course the figures change as appropriate.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:38 PM

Just be glad you don't get one of these very helpful messages during an install.

something-happened.jpg

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,007 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:41 PM

John,

I didn't, but I've seen them or similar.  This is no better than having no status of any sort at all.

I do not know, honestly, how this sort of status message would ever, ever, ever, under any circumstances, even make it out of an individual developer's pre-alpha testing, let alone through beta and on to production.  Any sort of event that would trigger a message means you have at least something specific that you know about the what happened.  Why would you ever fail to share what that specific something is?

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:05 PM

Post#5:
Lol,That error message reminds me of how vague some of the KB descriptions for certain windows updates can be(especially the GWx related updates when they first came out), many of them have improved a bit recently but there are still a few which just say "This page provides a description of the update KBXXXXXXX which fixes known issues with windows.".

Both examples show how annoying vague messages can be, although I assume that the image you posted there is a joke, I would be very concerned about how a product had been designed if it gave that sort of error message without some sort of "click here for the full information" link.

One more thought, that's a "universal error message" (any error, or for that matter any correct functioing of a system, can be described like that), below is the "universal ingredients list":
https://xkcd.com/1123/

Edited by rp88, 31 December 2015 - 03:07 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:22 AM

One more thought, that's a "universal error message" (any error, or for that matter any correct functioing of a system, can be described like that), below is the "universal ingredients list":
https://xkcd.com/1123/

:lol:  I've got that new book "Thing Explainer: Complicated Stuff in Simple Words" and it's a hoot, esp. for a geek like me.

Even the Missus took a look at it and enjoyed it.

Thanks for posting it.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,816 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:39 AM

Looks like a good book, as does An Illustrated Book Of Bad Arguments. Thanks for the link.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:39 PM

Well, we ARE glad you're here.  :flowers:

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#11 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:09 PM

This message appears during the Windows 10 install. Does anyone else find this a bit creepy? Who is "we"? How do "they" know I'm here....

Creepy .. yep!

Reminds me of Pink Floyd's 'Welcome To The Machine'.

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:00 PM

Me I hate the "get office 365" notification, im like "screw off I have libreoffice"

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#13 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:37 PM

Me I hate the "get office 365" notification, im like "screw off I have libreoffice"

I hear you.

The constant nags, the massive security updates .. how can an office suit be so security prone .. and that's just in Win 7.

Libreoffice just flies - always. Does everything I want, and more. Trouble free. Nag free. Cost free.

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,103 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:34 PM

Message from Microsoft:

"We are the Borg. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile."

"Please Sign In, Please Sign In, Please Sign In"

"It looks like you have chosen an Offline Account, you will be much safer and enjoy more tracking with a Microsoft Account"

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users