Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Robocopy Build or Alternative with Smart Copy Support???

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:02 AM

Does anyone know of a third party build of robocopy or an alternate command line copy utility that has similar features but integrates Smart Copy for handling Junctions Symlink and Hardlinked files ?

I have several programs that use a unusual virtual filesystem architecture that relies heavily on hard-links. I generally use robocopy for backing up my data drive since it skips existing files and reduces the time it takes to copy the drive. the only problem is that i found out that robocopy corrupts these because junctions are copied as folders and hard linked files are copied multiple times i can exclude junctions however this means there are missing paths on the destination drive.

Right now i am looking for a command line utility that can function similarly to robocopy in that it supports mirror mode and will skip existing files but that includes a Smart Copy functionality so that junctions and sym/hardlinks are properly copied with their correct relations

Please respond soon this is a major issue for me as i currently have several directory structures which I cannot back up with my current tools

Edited by mikeloeven, 31 December 2015 - 03:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:34 AM

Don't these programs have their own backup utilities? If I remember correctly, copying some of these links won't help with restoring on a new machine or disk as they refer to disk block address on the original hard drive.

If the software doesn't have its own backup routine, perhaps you could use image backup. I use R-drive image which can do automatic incremental image backups on a live system, so no need to remember to do anything. I've also used SyncToy and SyncbackPro, if you want a sync program, and I think these have command line versions if you find the GUI too easy and really like lots of typing...

Edited by Adam Pollard, 31 December 2015 - 06:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users