Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need instructions to remove old owner's name

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wicky

wicky

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:09 AM

I was recently given a new (to me) computer.  It was previously owned, and I would like to know if there is a way to remove the previous owner's name from the computer, along with the proper instructions on how to do so safely.  If specs are needed, will supply them.   Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agentspade

Agentspade

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:18 AM

If this is a user you're talking about have a look here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/delete-a-user-account

But go to the User accounts in the control Panel and make one for yourself first.

#3 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:12 PM

No, this isn't a user account.  No matter what I do, the previous owners name is all over the computer and I can't get rid of it.  

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:20 PM

Depending on if this is an OEM computer like Dell or HP, it may have a recovery partition that would let you do a factory reset. The computer would be set back to the day of purchase but any programs installed after purchased would be gone.

What is the make and model of the computer?

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:04 PM

Since the computer was previously owned by someone else, I recommend a factory reset. This will get rid of everything someone else put on it and will allow you to have clean slate to customize it for you.

Please provide the make and model as requested by JohnC_21. With that information someone can help you determine if it has a recovery partition and how to use it if it exists on your computer.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:07 PM

JohnC, Queen-Evie, wicky also needs to make sure the product key on the computer chassis matches the product key in force within Windows, correct?  Reason for asking:  previous owner may have changed OS during the time of first-owner possession.

Edited by RolandJS, 31 December 2015 - 09:08 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:33 PM

JohnC, Queen-Evie, wicky also needs to make sure the product key on the computer chassis matches the product key in force within Windows, correct?  Reason for asking:  previous owner may have changed OS during the time of first-owner possession.

That is a good point. If the OS installed was retail, the OP can download a Windows 7 iso. If not then then hopefully the recovery partition is intact. Even though it may be Vista and not Windows 7, which can be determined from the sticker if there is one, it would still be better to do the factory reset as the computer was previously owned.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:02 AM

Roland, thank you for that reminder. I tend to forget that an OS could have been upgraded from one version to another.

#9 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:21 AM

This is a Lenovo Think Center M Series, running Windows 7 professional.  From the stickers and labels that are where I can access them, Windows is the original os.  I am unable to get to the back of the machine to check for the model number.  

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,399 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:40 AM

See instructions for changing the Computer's name: Change Your Computer Name in Windows 7, 8, or 10

Two concerns about using a used computer without doing a clean install of the OS would be remote access and

some possible illegal use of the computer that left some files... even deleted ones. Then there is malware...

If you decide to reinstall the OS...reformat then reinstall...it shouldn't be a problem if the hdd is the original one and the

OS wasn't originally Vista. The previous owner should be able to tell you whether or not the computer was bought new with 7 pro or not.

The previous owner should be able to tell you whether the hdd has been replaced or not.

EDIT: create a system repair disc...that should be done before making any changes.

How to....Create a system repair disc

Always a good idea to create an image of the entire hdd before making major changes. The image should be stored on an external medium.

You can use the program in Windows 7 for doing that. Back up your programs, system settings, and files - Windows Help

Edited by buddy215, 04 January 2016 - 05:57 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:52 AM

The previous owner should be able to tell you whether or not the computer was bought new with 7 pro or not.

The previous owner should be able to tell you whether the hdd has been replaced or not.

The previous owner is unknown to me.  I don't know if they were known to the person who gave me the computer or not.  I have no way of contacting the previous owner.  Will take care of making a system repair disk.  Is a flash drive an acceptable external medium?

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,399 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:49 AM

Depends on the size of the data on the hdd and the size of the flash drive. An image of the contents of the hdd would be compressed to a much smaller

size....say 40% smaller.

See what this tool can tell you about your computer and you can post a link to what it tells you back here if you want to.

Speccy - System Information - Free Download

Download from the Piriform link....Piriform.com

Rather odd that you haven't asked the person who gave you the computer for information the giver might have that could assist you.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users