Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:26 AM

C:PROGRA~1\LENOVO\IMCONT~1\Legacy Features.exe

This keeps popping up like a command prompt panel. 1. what is it? 2. Should I get rid of it? 3. If so how?

Advice please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseftriumf

joseftriumf

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:31 AM

Try to take a look at this : http://www.maximumpc.com/blue-screen-of-death-survival-guide-every-error-explained/

#3 georgehenry

georgehenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:07 AM

I read the article all the way through but couldn't find anything that applied to my problem.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:22 AM

georgehenry,

The first thing I'd do is to see if "Legacy Features.exe" actually exists anywhere on your system, whether in the noted directory or elsewhere.  Just based on the name of the program and the fact that LENOVO is part of the directory/folder path it would seem to be a Lenovo specific utility of some sort. 

This program may show up in your Windows.old file as well, but the startup remnant somewhere still remains.

My gut tells me that the resolution to this, ultimately, will be tracing down where this now-not-needed program is still being triggered from and removing that startup trigger, but it's too early for that to be definitive.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 georgehenry

georgehenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:48 PM

I have tried to enter the Legacy Features.exe in the search box. I have tried all the alternatives it suggested but to no avail. If it is on my computer it is well hidden.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,787 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:53 PM

georgehenry,

Many things will never be found by a standard Windows search (and you really wouldn't want them to be, either, in most cases) unless you tweak a number of settings related to search, first.

For this kind of search my recommendation is always the Search Everything engine by voidtools.  I have had it on every Windows machine I own for some time now because 9 times out of 10 I want to locate a file itself, wherever it is, not a file based upon its contents.  It's simple to install and, should you so choose, simple to remove.  If you allow it to index your main drive (which I imagine is C:) it does precisely what it's name implies, searches everything, and it indexes with lightning speed.

If you want to convince yourself that the file itself does not exist anywhere on your system I'd suggest you install Search Everything and have it poke around.  Once you confirm/refute its presence then we can move along to excising the startup reference to it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#7 georgehenry

georgehenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:04 PM

Thanks for that. I will try it. I have been looking for myself, and all I hace come up with is that it is part of something else.

Using the Legacy Feature Check Tool to Prepare for CRM 2013

Have you come across this? The "search everything" tool sounds good though. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks!!

#8 georgehenry

georgehenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:13 AM

I have installed "everything" What an interesting program. I put in Legacy Features.exe It came up with two results, Legacy Features.exe, and Legacy Features.exe log. 21kb and 1kb respectively. It doesn't tell me what they are for. I suppose I could delete them and see what happens. What do you think?

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,787 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:37 AM

georgehenry,

The fact that they exist at least tells us they were/are something real.  The log is not really relevant, but the program file is.  My guess is that it is not located anywhere near to the folder that is shown in your original post (and when the tilde shortcut comes into notation that makes it harder to know what the full expanded path is - I really wish they wouldn't do this).

At this point I would start looking at program startup locations to see which one includes the trigger for this program and remove that.  There was a recent thread, within the last day or so, where someone asked (and got answered) where the equivalent of the user startup folder that used to show up in the start menu is located.  Take a look there.    If you are familiar with CCleaner and it's feature for tweaking system startup entries, I'd suggest using that to see if this is where the program is being launched from and disable or delete that launch.

If it hasn't been running, and you haven't been having any problems without it running besides this nag when the system starts, I wouldn't worry about trying to get it running at startup again even if a copy exists that could be run.

~ Mark Twain

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,081 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:21 PM

Post #6"Many things will never be found by a standard Windows search"

I assume you mean that when searching from the search box in the file explorer "hidden" files/folders and "protected operating system" files and folders will not be shwon in search results. Would I be right in thinking that if you change the folder options so both those things will show (although most of the time it's best to keep "protected operating system" things hidden) then search will show EVERYTHING on a system?

Edited by rp88, 01 January 2016 - 02:22 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:42 PM

You could try installing autoruns, which is part of the sysinternal suite. In there, you might see the process you list. If you right click and disable it, it should stop appearing.

Failing this, type regedit into the search box, then press F3 and search for LegacyFeatures.exe (or EXACTLY how it is spelt, as a space in a file name is unusual, perhaps it is Legacy_Features.exe) - post the results back here

Edited by Adam Pollard, 01 January 2016 - 05:42 PM.

#12 georgehenry

georgehenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:26 AM

C:PROGRA~1\LENOVO\IMCONT~1\Legacy Features.exe

This is the whole thing. I have put it in the search that you suggested and it is searching. Result "finished searching the registry" 

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,787 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:10 AM

georgehenry,

As I already alluded to, any time you see a ~ in a path name that is not the true, full path name but a way that it gets shortened to allow it "to fit" in a message.    Hence the reason I did not suggest you use that as a search string because that directory/folde does not exist.  Is there no backslash between the C: and the "P" in "PROGRA~1"?  That strikes me as odd.

If you use Search Everything to search for LENOVO there are likely to be very few folders (though possibly many files) with that name.  If they aren't under either C:\Program Files  or C:\Program Files (x86) then the thing that's being sought almost certainly doesn't exist where it once did.

The inclusion of spaces within file or folder names has been common for a very long time now.   Those of us who've been around the computing world since the punch card era remember all too well when spaces, and most special characters, were forbidden in file names and when nothing longer than 8 characters was allowed.  Then the 8 character limit got lifted and some special characters were allowed, so you saw a lot of either hyphens or underscores taking the place of spaces.

rp88,

Yes, I mean that Windows Search as it is configured by default will not typically find the sort of file that the OP is searching for in the locations one would expect to find it.  You can tweak what can be shown and/or indexed, but I'd far sooner not do that since the only time I use Windows Search is if I am looking for a file based on a word or phrase contained within it.   I find Search Everything far preferable for filename based searching and it does what its name says straight "out of the box."

~ Mark Twain

#14 georgehenry

georgehenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:57 PM

The pop up I posted about seems to have disappeared. It always popped up during startup. That is no longer happening. I regard this as a good result. When it does appear it goes away almost immediately, which is not a problem. Thanks for all your advice.

#15 wfallon

wfallon

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:00 PM

C:PROGRA~1\LENOVO\IMCONT~1\Legacy Features.exe. is a package that contains things you do not want.

Automatic BIOS update that you do not need.

Basically makes all their "bloatware" undeletable.

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users