Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SD Card/SD Card Slot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Toadywot

Toadywot

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:57 PM

Well, I'm back in the forum 'way sooner than I'd thought I would be after all the help I was given regarding my connection issues and for which I am most grateful.

But here's another bone to chew on....this is a new one for me:

I have a 32g SD card, which has worked flawlessly with the built-in Ricoh card reader on my Toshiba Satellite laptop for the last year. It has pretty much lived in the card reader....not pushed all the way in, just in the slot. Periodically I will move pictures and documents to the card. About a week ago I pushed the SD card fully into the slot, wanting to view the pics on the card to see what was on it. I waited for the computer to recognize the card.....and waited. And waited. The card drive does not show up ANYWHERE....not in My Computer, not in Device Manager. I tried it on a Lenevo Thinkpad and got the same result. HP Mini, same. Two Dells, same. In other words, I tried on every laptop in my possession...six in all. Updates on all are current. Windows, hardware, software, drivers, the whole shebang.

Sounds like a damaged SD card so far, right? I resigned myself to the loss of the files on that drive....dead is dead, right?

Just for the heck of it, I decided to use a USB card reader starting with the Toshiba and to my astonishment, it worked.

What in the world is happening here? I mean, the SD card slot on the six laptops seemed not to work, but I find that very odd....how coincidental is it to have the slots on six laptops go kerflooey at the same time? How coincidental is it that the card can be viewed on those same laptops using the USB card reader??

It's driving me nuts!!! Please give me the benefit of your professional expertise before the guys in the white coats come to get me!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agentspade

Agentspade

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:22 AM

Just for the hell of it, copy all the files off the SD card and then format the card with NTFS. Now try the computers again. I honestly haven't the slightest clue on why that would happen.

Edited by Agentspade, 31 December 2015 - 01:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users