Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaned desktop computer internally, now it won't startup properly.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Daimonz

Daimonz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:39 PM

Hello, 

Just a few hours ago, i unplugged the CPU of my computer to clean and remove the dust inside.  When i opened it the fan was covered in a lot of dust and the heat sink too.

So i carefully removed it and cleaned it with a dry paint brush.

I also passed the brush smoothly over the cover of the processor (I did not remove the cover of the processor).

I was going to put the fan back but a friend adviced me to put new thermal paste and then put it back.

I did put the new thermal paste (but didnt clean the previous one off).

I DID NOT touch any of the electrical components inside the CPU case, i touched only the wires and the plug of the wires.

Then i put all of it together and connected the CPU again.

I booted it but it shut itself down after ~2 seconds.  Then i checked the cables and noticed a 4-pin plug was not plugged.

So i thought by plugging it back it is going to get working properly BUT no.

When i press the power button, the CPU turns on, the HDD activity light turns on too, but after 4-5seconds the HDD lights turns off and nothing is displayed on the monitor...

PLEASE HELP...i have put everything i can think that i've done whilst cleaning the CPU...

Additional info:

1) I disconnected the HDD then turned on the CPU but this time the HDD lights dont even light up and nothing displays on the monitor.

2) I disconnected the keyboard then turned on the CPU, HDD activity light, lights up, goes off after 4-5secconds; nothing is displayed on monitor AND the computer does not beep to tell me that a peripheral device is not properly connected.

Edited by hamluis, 31 December 2015 - 01:16 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 07:00 PM

It is absolutely essential that the old thermal paste or thermal pad be removed with 91% alcohol before applying new thermal paste. The OEM CPU heat sink fans use thermal pads that should be removed before new thermal paste is applied. I am not sure if this is your problem though. I would PM a moderator and have them move this thread to the Internal Hardware Forum.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 December 2015 - 07:01 PM.

#3 Daimonz

Daimonz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:14 PM

It is absolutely essential that the old thermal paste or thermal pad be removed with 91% alcohol before applying new thermal paste. The OEM CPU heat sink fans use thermal pads that should be removed before new thermal paste is applied. I am not sure if this is your problem though. I would PM a moderator and have them move this thread to the Internal Hardware Forum.

OK thanks for the rep...ive googled and they say we have to use an isopropyl alcohol to clean the thermal paste.  I havent bought it yet...when i get done with it, i'll reply asap here...:)

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:15 PM

Qtips, and cotton balls are helpful when removing the thermal paste too... I would put the alcohol in a small cap rather than dipping into the container or poring it on the CPU to reduce contamination / short chances.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users