Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Built PC - Windows 8.1- Random shutdowns - Hardware or Software?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Del64

Del64

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:50 PM

About a year and a half ago I build a PC and ive been slowly upgrading it was the years go on. I recently bought a new case for my pc and it did have a minor problem of shutting down randomly every once in a while but since I unplugged everything and moved it to the new case its been happening more frequently. 

Set up
- AMD FX 8 core processor
- ASUS M5A97 LE2.0 board
- 1 stick 8 gig RAM ddr3 (one more on its way)
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
- 600 W power supply by thermaltake
- 1 SSD for the OS, and 1 500gb HDD and 1 TB HDD - All SATA 

I ran an SFC scan and it found 1 file was corrupt. Giving me this error 
"Cannot repair member file [l:36{18}]"Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB" of prncacla.inf, Version = 6.3.9600.17415, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2015-12-29 20:59:08, "

After further research I ran some SFC fix and it stated the one file has been repaired and the scan came back clean now. I also researched that it may be a windows update issue and to disable automatically finding software, instead to "let me chose" what to update. This seemed to calm the issue down however the random shutdowns still occur. I did some research and my PC should have enough power for everything so I do not believe its my supply.  All the drivers are also up to date.

In the event view I did notice a few things. There are a lot of Event 41 - Kernal Power and Event 219 warnings - Kernal PnP, also Event 10010 Distributed COM Errors.

I should also note this seems to only happen (mostly) when I run League of Legends and Chrome.  Is there anything else I should check?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 January 2016 - 11:54 AM.
moved from Windows 8 to Am I Infected

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jo*

Jo*

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:00 PM

:welcome:

Hi there,

my name is Jo and I will help you with your computer problems.

We can check your pc for malware now.

Please follow these guidelines:
  • Read and follow the instructions in the sequence they are posted.
  • print or copy & save instructions.
  • back up all your private data / music / important files on another (external) drive before using our tools.
  • Do not install / uninstall any applications, unless otherwise instructed.
  • Use only that tools you have been instructed to use.
  • Copy and Paste the log files inside your post, unless otherwise instructed.
  • Ask for clarification, if you have any questions.
  • Stay with this topic til you get the all clean post.
  • My first language is not english. So please do not use slang or idioms. It could be hard for me to read. Thanks for your understanding.

:step1: Download Security Check by screen317 from here or here.
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
    Vista / Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

:step2: Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit and save it to your desktop.
  • Be sure to print out and follow the instructions provided on that same page.
  • Caution: This is a beta version so please be sure to read the disclaimer and back up all your data before using.
  • Scan your system for malware
With some infections, you may see two messages boxes.
  • 'Could not load protection driver'. Click 'OK'.
  • 'Could not load DDA driver'. Click 'Yes' to this message, to allow the driver to load after a restart. Allow the computer to restart. Continue with the rest of these instructions.
  • If malware is found - do not press the Clean up button, please go to the MBAR folder and then copy/paste the contents of the MBAR-log-***.txt file to your next reply.
  • If there is no malware found, please let me know as well.

:step3: Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
Double-click AdwCleaner.exe
Vista / Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
    The actual line should say "Pending. Please uncheck elements you do not want to remove" => scan is complete.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
  • The contents of the log file may be confusing. Unless you see a program name that you know should not be removed, don't worry about it.
    If you see an entry you want to keep, let me know about it.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.

:step4: MiniToolbox by Farbar

Disable your antivirus if it does not allow you to download the tool!
Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
Place a checkmark in Select all, then click Go and post the result (MTB.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Graduate of the WTT Classroom
Cheers,
Jo
If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 36 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Tabeer

Tabeer

• Banned Spammer
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:06 PM

Not sure if this is much help but worth posting. I have an Asus factory computer (aspire s7) and had random shut downs with kernel power and event shut downs. It drove me nuts. Turns out that the comp has a built in set up where if the bottom screws aren't tight enough it triggers an autoshutdown from some odd reason. Not sure if that would apply to your comp where there might be some simple trigger that shuts it down and kills the power immediately to 'save itself', even though there is no real problem but something as simple as a lose connection.

I'd search around each component for 5-10 min to see if others using it have similar power problems. Its how i found my issue. Maybe it will help.

Edited by Tabeer, 30 December 2015 - 06:07 PM.

#4 Del64

Del64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:39 PM

I will reopen a check the screw situation. i am running the scans now in the meantime. 

edit 1: update

edit 2: updated java

Results of screen317's Security Check version 1.009  
   x64 (UAC is enabled)  
 Internet Explorer 11  
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Enabled!  
Windows Defender   
 WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
 Microsoft VisualStudio JavaScript Project System 
 Java 8 Update 40  
 Microsoft VisualStudio JavaScript Language Service 
 Java version 32-bit out of Date!
 Adobe Flash Player 20.0.0.267  
 Mozilla Firefox (40.0.3) 
 Google Chrome (47.0.2526.106) 
 Google Chrome (47.0.2526.80) 
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
 Windows Defender MSMpEng.exe 
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C:  % 
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

Edited by Del64, 30 December 2015 - 10:11 PM.

#5 Jo*

Jo*

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,453 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:30 PM

OK,

waiting on logs for steps 2, 3, 4 from post #2

Any problems doing that?

Edited by Jo*, 01 January 2016 - 12:31 PM.

Cheers,
Jo
If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 36 hours please send me a PM.

#6 Del64

Del64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:29 AM

After a lot of research I decided to reinstall windows 8.1 The installation was a success however when installing all my drivers, etc it shuts down randomly.  I was monitoring my temp on my CPU and on average (when just browsing chrome) it can reach to about 56c .  After it shut down for the umpteenth time I booted into the BIOs right after and found the CPU temp was about 156F close to its threshold. Think it would be safe to say I need a better cooling system in  place? im not sure why though all I did was change the case... 

#7 Jo*

Jo*

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,453 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 02:53 PM

OK,
as we do not get scan logs, I'm out here now.

If a helper with some hardware know-how could take over please?

Cheers,
Jo

#8 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:23 PM

Overheating is a frequent cause for unexpected shutdowns.  I will say 56C doesn't sound too high if that's as high as it gets.  You can get specific info on your CPU's normal temp range from cputemp.com, so check it and keep a close eye on those temps.  Games can tax the CPU and cause it to get hot.

`

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users