Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taking router with me

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 superking75

superking75

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:56 PM

I have a d link dir655 router that is not in use. And for holidays I go and stay at my brothers house, the problem is that he does not have wifi but hardwires to he desktop.  If i were to take this with me is their anyway that I could hook this up for a weekend to get wifi.

ps My brother is not the most techsavy person.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:21 PM

IMO it should work, he may have to use your password (not sure)

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:24 PM

If it's a straight router, and not a modem-router combo, it should be plug-n-play if you've had it set up before (and that's in non-volatile memory, otherwise you'll have to to the initial setup again).

You should have WiFi and he should be able to plug his ethernet cable into the router, with the router's input connected via ethernet to the actual modem's output.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:54 PM

What is I took a 2 way spliter (I have from before) and put that in before the cable hooks to the modem and used an old modem also then to the router. so that I don'tt mess with what he has on his pc.

By the way will a 2-way spliter cause any problems with anything?

Edited by superking75, 30 December 2015 - 05:55 PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:26 PM

Most likely, yes.   Your internet connection (be it DSL or otherwise) isn't like your phone line that allows you to split it with a doubler, tripler, etc. 

The very purpose of a router is to perform that function, taking that single connection to the outside world and "juggling the plates" such that multiple devices can use it without problem.

A router is always hooked to the modem, when a single modem is the current setup, and the wired computers are connected to the ethernet port(s) on the router.  Wireless is its own side issue that the router handles along with the wired ports.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#6 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:21 AM

Ok thanks

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:39 PM

The other reason for not using a splitter is ISPs usually only give out one public ip address.  What ever device responds first gets it.

One caveat to be aware of: you must check what ip subnet your brothers router is providing via dhcp.  Reason to be aware of this is you can't have him at 192.168.0.x and your routers lan at the same subnet.  No routing between the wan port and lan port can take place under these circumstances and that means no internet for your router/wifi.

If you run into this situation its just a matter of changing your gateway/lan setting to a different subnet like 192.168.1.x [note only the 3rd octet needs to change.]

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:32 PM

Don't forget you router to computer cable!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:55 AM

If your brother's connection if from the modem directly to his PC you will need to power down the modem, connect the WAN port on the router to the cable connected to your brother's PC, connect your brother's PC to the router, turn on the modem, after the modem is up turn on the router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users