Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Running Extremely Slow After Windows Defender Download?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 detruence

detruence

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:53 AM

Windows 10 Home (1511)

64-BitOS

I've had Windows for a few months now and never really had an issue until the past few days. Overall CPU performance/speed is way down. Firefox freezes then recoops every 2-3 minutes, adobe plugin constantly crashing, even to do things offline is crazy slow.

I downloaded Windows Defender probably a week or 2 ago and that is the only big change that I know of done on this computer. I used to run Malewarebytes, SuperAnti-Spyware and Advanced Windows SystemCare. But was told that Advanced Windows SystemCare was the devil and to try TFC (temp file cleaner) & MyDefrag instead. So now i'm running;

Windows Defender

MalewareBytes (free)

SuperAnti-Spyware(free)

TFC

MyDefrag

Is this combination making my computer un usable? Or something else? Please help.

Thank you in advance for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:15 PM

Hi detruence :)

Windows Defender is built-in Windows 10 (and Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 as well). Are you sure you downloaded Windows Defender, or was it another program with a similar name? Can you tell me where you downloaded it from?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:21 PM

Windows 10 Home (1511)

64-BitOS

I've had Windows for a few months now and never really had an issue until the past few days. Overall CPU performance/speed is way down. Firefox freezes then recoops every 2-3 minutes, adobe plugin constantly crashing, even to do things offline is crazy slow.

I downloaded Windows Defender probably a week or 2 ago and that is the only big change that I know of done on this computer. I used to run Malewarebytes, SuperAnti-Spyware and Advanced Windows SystemCare. But was told that Advanced Windows SystemCare was the devil and to try TFC (temp file cleaner) & MyDefrag instead. So now i'm running;

Windows Defender

MalewareBytes (free)

SuperAnti-Spyware(free)

TFC

MyDefrag

Is this combination making my computer un usable? Or something else? Please help.

If you want your computer to run quickly, don't download all this unnecessary software. As Aura says, Windows Defender is included with Windows 10, as is automatic defragging. If you feel they are a problem, temporary files can be removed with the built-in disk cleanup tool. I would remove all the utilties you've installed, and run a full scan with malwarebytes in case of one the "utilities" is rogue software.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:07 PM

Adam,

Malwarebytes Antimalware and SuperAntiSpyware are very well known utilities with sterling reputations that serve very useful purposes, particularly should you find yourself in the unfortunate position of somehow having acquired malware or spyware.

Windows Defender, I presume, is the built-in Microsoft antivirus package, though the original post does make that muddled.

None of those three products is rogue software and MBAM ans SuperAntiSpyware are routinely recommended and employed on during disaster cleanup situations.  See the "Am I infected" and related forums to see just how often.

I have no idea about TFC and MyDefrag and share your reasoning that the latter is absolutely unnecessary since Windows has been doing automatic defragmentation for some time now.

I know that CCleaner (provided you don't use the registry optimization) is a much better disc cleaning tool than the built-in disc cleanup tool and TFC may be as well.  That should be made clear in the other forums as well, but since I don't need it since I use CCleaner I'm not going to research it further.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#5 detruence

detruence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:09 PM

Hi detruence :)

Windows Defender is built-in Windows 10 (and Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 as well). Are you sure you downloaded Windows Defender, or was it another program with a similar name? Can you tell me where you downloaded it from?

It's definitly Windows Defender. Is there a way it was disabled before? I just remember trying to install MSE and through research finding out that on Windows 10 there is no MSE and only Windows Defender. Don't remember what I did but after I did it I got a new Defender icon on my homepage lol. Sorry for the lack of memory. Maybe it was always active and just wasn't on my desktop yet, I really don't know.

But my main problem is the state of the computer now, it's to the point where certain things don't even work correctly or web pages won't load correctly. It went from running fine to like this within less than 48 hours.

Thanks for your time btw! :guitar:

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:14 PM

detruence,

If you know precisely when you tried "working your magic that's turned out not to be" then I would suggest that you do a system restore using a restore point from a date/time you know to be earlier than that.

Control Panel -> System -> System Protection link on the upper left side -> System Restore Button  

If the default restore point is later than you want it to be then follow the steps to choose an earlier one (which are pretty obvious).  If the restore works then report back that it has.  If it fails, or it fails to get you out of this situation, report that back, too.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:15 PM

It's possible that Windows Defender was disabled. It shouldn't disable itself automatically however: did (or do you) you have another Antivirus program installed prior to "installing" Windows Defender? And what do you mean by "Defender icon on my homepage"? What homepage? In Microsoft Edge? Internet Explorer? Start Menu?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 detruence

detruence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:17 PM

Windows 10 Home (1511)

64-BitOS

Windows Defender

MalewareBytes (free)

SuperAnti-Spyware(free)

TFC

MyDefrag

If you want your computer to run quickly, don't download all this unnecessary software. As Aura says, Windows Defender is included with Windows 10, as is automatic defragging. If you feel they are a problem, temporary files can be removed with the built-in disk cleanup tool. I would remove all the utilties you've installed, and run a full scan with malwarebytes in case of one the "utilities" is rogue software.

I have no problem getting rid of TFC and MyDefrag they're pointless with everything Windows has built in, but i've had them for months now. And my computer has gone to sh*t fairly rapidly in the past day or so. I don't think TFC and MyDefrag are the root cause of my specific issue.

#9 detruence

detruence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:21 PM

It's possible that Windows Defender was disabled. It shouldn't disable itself automatically however: did (or do you) you have another Antivirus program installed prior to "installing" Windows Defender? And what do you mean by "Defender icon on my homepage"? What homepage? In Microsoft Edge? Internet Explorer? Start Menu?

I didn't have MSE enabled on my previous version of Windows, maybe thats why it was disabled. And no I haven't had anything installed besides; SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes, TFC and MyDefrag.

Didn't mean homepage, I meant the desktop.

Realizing that I didn't "install" Defender i'm thinking my issue prob isn't a conflict of protection programs or Defender, sounds like a virus or maleware issue right?

Edited by detruence, 30 December 2015 - 03:24 PM.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:27 PM

It sounds like it to me. Are you able to take a screenshot of that Defender icon and post it here? Also, if you right-click on the icon and select Properties, where is the targetted file or URL for it?

mq1pzD6.pngHow to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool
Follow the instructions below to take a screenshot using Windows' Snipping Tool:
  • Press on the Win Key + R to open the Run box;
  • Enter SnippingTool and press on Enter;
  • The Snipping Tool will open, asking you to choose the area to take in the screenshot;
  • Left click on the area where you want to start the screenshot, keep it, and drag the cursor across the screen;
  • Once done, release the left button to take the screenshot;
  • In the editing window, click on the File menu then Save As;
  • Save the screenshot in a folder that you can access easily;
  • Attaching the screenshot in your reply
    • Go in your thread and click on the Reply to this topic button in the top-right corner;
      85hPFGu.png
    • Below the text box you'll have the option to Attach files. Click on the Choose Files... button, navigate to your screenshot and select it;
      LKVBzF7.png
    • Once done, add a comment to your reply and post it;

unite_blue.png

#11 detruence

detruence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:48 PM

Attached is a screenshot and below is the targetted file location;

"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe"

Attached Files

Edited by detruence, 30 December 2015 - 03:50 PM.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:51 PM

This is the legitimate executable for Windows Defender, so you didn't download a malware or anything when getting that icon added to your desktop. Alright, follow the instructions below please.

3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox
  • Download MiniToolBox and move the file to your Desktop;
  • Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator (for Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 users);
  • Check the following options:
    • Flush DNS;
    • Report IE Proxy Settings;
    • Reset IE Proxy Settings;
    • Report FF Proxy Settings;
    • Reset FF Proxy Settings;
    • List content of Hosts;
    • List IP Configuration;
    • List Winsock Entries;
    • List Last 10 Event Viewer Errors;
    • List Installed Programs;
    • List Devices - Only Problems;
    • List Users, Partitions and Memory size;
      OQmAcqS.png
  • Once this is done, click on Go and wait for the scan to complete;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users