Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

safe link for download vlc player for windows 10

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 angels4u

angels4u

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:49 AM

Very annoiying that I can't play cd's from the dvd player,if I install the vlc player would I be able to watch movies and listen to my cd's?

There are so many places to get this vlc player,which link would be safe without downloading junk along with it?

Thank you very much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:52 AM

Here you go : http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

Pick the version you want (32bit - 64bit - portable).

Greets!

#3 angels4u

angels4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:57 AM

Thank you !!

Will instail it right now--:)

#4 angels4u

angels4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:11 PM

I installed it but how do I get the cd to play? How do I open the right file for that?

I did get this error message (VLC is unable to open the MRL 'cdda:///E:/'. Check the log for details)

​?????

Thank you..

#5 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:16 PM

To play your DVD's, open VLC and click on "Media" - "Open Disc..." and choose your DVD-player.

Greets!

#6 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:27 PM

When you insert a CD, does anything happen on the screen? i.e do you get a popup asking what you want to do, etc? You should be able to play CDs without any extra software, and if you can't, perhaps there is a fault with the player, or a driver is missing or corrupted.

#7 angels4u

angels4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:34 PM

It still didn't work and I got the same message:VLC is unable to open the MRL 'cdda:///E:/'. Check the log for details. ​I did change setting in auto play and don't know the correct settings , I figured most of them should be clicked in the vlc setting?

​thank you so much for your help..

#8 angels4u

angels4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:50 PM

Adam,not happened when I put the cd in the computer,absolutely nothing...

I did hear that windows 10 does not have program installed to play anything?

#9 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:01 PM

Adam,not happened when I put the cd in the computer,absolutely nothing...

I did hear that windows 10 does not have program installed to play anything?

Nonsense, it comes with Windows Media Player. I just popped in audio CD in my Windows 10 test machine (I wouldn't dream of downgrading from Windows 7 to 10 on my main PC), it asked me what I wanted to do with an audio CD, and the choice was use Windows media player or "take no action." I suspect your CD player is broken. The driver might be a problem and it might be possible to fix this by reinstalling it.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/hardware/ff553572%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

After removing the ATAPI driver (under DCD/CD-ROM drives), I would suggest restarting the computer and it should reinstall this driver.

Edited by Adam Pollard, 30 December 2015 - 01:02 PM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,011 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:03 PM

Windows Media Player is included with Windows 10 as it has been with other versions of Windows "forever."

The issue you're describing sounds like a hardware issue.  I've just seen Mr. Pollard's last post and it could also very well be a driver-related issue, and that would be the first thing to look at.

P.S.  The generic answer for, "Where is the safe link to download {piece of software X}?" is from the official website for {piece of software X}.  Almost any time you use a search engine to find a specific piece of software, one of the first items returned almost always has the big "Official Site" tag shown on it in the results.   One should always go to the source when the source actually distributes a given piece of software.

Edited by britechguy, 30 December 2015 - 01:07 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#11 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:32 PM

P.S.  Almost any time you use a search engine to find a specific piece of software, one of the first items returned almost always has the big "Official Site" tag shown on it in the results.   One should always go to the source when the source actually distributes a given piece of software.

Just be careful when doing searches as the top "results" are usually ads. I actually got stung with a search for VLC  and clicked too quickly, and found I'd downloaded some adware, fortunately I killed the install as soon as I smelled a rat. A Google search is generally safer as you can see more clearly which are ads. If you use the AVG or Norton search, though, they tend to use something else such as "Ask" - which is a terrible "ad-infested" search engine, and you often have to scroll way down to get the real search results.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,011 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:45 PM

P.S.  Almost any time you use a search engine to find a specific piece of software, one of the first items returned almost always has the big "Official Site" tag shown on it in the results.   One should always go to the source when the source actually distributes a given piece of software.

Just be careful when doing searches as the top "results" are usually ads. I actually got stung with a search for VLC  and clicked too quickly, and found I'd downloaded some adware, fortunately I killed the install as soon as I smelled a rat. A Google search is generally safer as you can see more clearly which are ads. If you use the AVG or Norton search, though, they tend to use something else such as "Ask" - which is a terrible "ad-infested" search engine, and you often have to scroll way down to get the real search results.

I have been using DuckDuckGo for some years now for a number of reasons, a big one being that they do not track your search history.  The last time I used Google it did the same thing as DuckDuckGo in that it uses a big, bright graphic tag that reads "Official Site" for what is definitely known to be the official site for a given product.  On Google, there are ads but they're clearly identified as such.   I guess I presume at least a modicum of caution on the part of anyone who'd even ask the question that was posed.  I'll still stand by my generic answer if the reader is exercising reasonable precaution, which includes paying attention and not just clicking the first thing they see (which is a sure road to madness over time).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#13 angels4u

angels4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:49 PM

directory file is not correct ,what does this mean?

I uninstalled the vlc player..

Can I play home burned cd's and dvd ? Do I need more support to play those cd's?

#14 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:50 PM

I have been using DuckDuckGo for some years now for a number of reasons, a big one being that they do not track your search history.  The last time I used Google it did the same thing as DuckDuckGo in that it uses a big, bright graphic tag that reads "Official Site" for what is definitely known to be the official site for a given product.  On Google, there are ads but they're clearly identified as such.   I guess I presume at least a modicum of caution on the part of anyone who'd even ask the question that was posed.  I'll still stand by my generic answer if the reader is exercising reasonable precaution, which includes paying attention and not just clicking the first thing they see (which is a sure road to madness over time).

Yes, I wasn't criticising your suggestion, after all, you have to find out what the official link is, somehow!  With my regular customers, I usually send them a link by email, which also has it's problems, as we tell people not to click on links in emails. However, as we live in the real world .. :-)

#15 angels4u

angels4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:59 PM

Hopefully I didn't install bad stuff from the link , I'm sort of afraid to download it again..

But I got a cd to play,not a burned one,maybe the burned cd's and dvd's don't play in windows 10?

How can I check if I have malware from the link?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users