Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad-banner blockers for windows 10

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 angels4u

angels4u

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:46 AM

Would anybody know of safe link for download for good adblock and banner block?

I find the pop up and ads in windows 10 very annoying and you have to be so careful not to click on it by accident...

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,817 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:46 PM

Please post a screen shot of what you're referring to.   I have been using Windows 10 since the technical preview and I have yet to have a single, solitary ad show up in Windows 10 itself.

If you're looking for an ad blocker for your web browser, or multiple web browsers, then use the search feature in the add-ons or extensions feature screen for that given web browser.  I've been using Adblock Plus for a very long time now and would not be without it.

If you're having ads pop up in the various Windows Services, listed here in the Microsoft Services Agreement, then you should post a question specifically about the one or ones that you're using in either the Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications or  All Other Applications forum.  I can't even decide which one would be a better fit, but the Windows 10 Services, with the possible exception of Cortana, aren't really Windows 10 itself.  It's much more difficult to separate Cortana, if you use that Service, because of how it interacts with virtually everything within Windows 10 itself.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 angels4u

angels4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:15 PM

Can you pls give me safe link for adblockplus?

Also Windows came with the Bing browser ,how can I change that to the one you mentioned duckduckgo?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,817 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:39 PM

angels4u,

You are mixing up apples, oranges, bananas, and pears (metaphorically speaking) here, so I am going to try to provide some clarity.

Windows 10 is your operating system and it is responsible for managing all the hardware on your computer and coordinating the actions necessary to allow all application software to run.

Web browsers are application software to allow you to surf the internet.  Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera are all examples of web browsers.

Search engines are what you use to search for stuff you want to find on the internet.  Google, Bing, Yahoo, and DuckDuckGo are all examples of search engines.  You use these, generally, by going to their respective websites and doing a search.  If you wish to set a given search engine as the one that gets used in a web browser (see above), you must follow the instructions specific to that web browser to set that up.  One can generally find step-by-step instructions by going to the search engine site that you'd like to have set as your default browser search engine, and searching on, "{engine name} {browser name} make default,}, e.g., go to the DuckDuckGo.com website and enter "duckduckgo chrome make default."

As I told you earlier, you should be using the add-on or extension manager within the web browser of your choice (except for MS-Edge, which doesn't yet support extensions for some reason I'll never understand) to find the Adblock Plus Add-On for that browser.  It exists for Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and MS Internet Explorer.   I imagine once Edge is updated to support extensions it will be developed for Edge as well.  At the moment I don't use MS-Edge precisely because I cannot customize it with add-ons like Adblock Plus that make it behave in the way I prefer.  If you are using Edge since you've gone to Windows 10 I would strongly advise you, at least for the time being, to switch to Firefox, Chrome, or Opera until Edge matures and supports add-ons.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 angels4u

angels4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:39 PM

Can you pls give me safe link for adblockplus?

Also Windows came with the Bing browser ,how can I change that to the one you mentioned duckduckgo?

I did find how to change the  bing browser in duck duck go..thanks , I will try try brouwser!

Now I'm still looking for a safe link for adblock plus~~

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,630 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:48 PM

Personally I wouldn't use AdBlock Plus since it publicly admitted to use whitelists, and therefore letting ads from certain companies go but here goes:

https://adblockplus.org/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,817 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:55 PM

Personally I wouldn't use AdBlock Plus since it publicly admitted to use whitelists, and therefore letting ads from certain companies go but here goes:

https://adblockplus.org/

They actually tell you this at installation and let you shut off the whitelist (or at least I think that's Adblock Plus).

Regardless, it's an excellent product.   I haven't noticed a single ad in a very long time and even if they were letting through 1% of all ads the experience without it, or some equivalent of it (I'm not affiliated nor pushing Adblock Plus over other alternatives), is an absolute nightmare as far as I'm concerned.

This is a case where I don't (and didn't) give direct links because it is generally both easier and safer to manage browser add-ons that are "officially recognized" by a given browser through its add-ons or extensions manager (and people need to acquaint themselves with those for other reasons as well).

Edited by britechguy, 30 December 2015 - 02:56 PM.

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 angels4u

angels4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:05 PM

angels4u,

You are mixing up apples, oranges, bananas, and pears (metaphorically speaking) here, so I am going to try to provide some clarity.

Windows 10 is your operating system and it is responsible for managing all the hardware on your computer and coordinating the actions necessary to allow all application software to run.

Web browsers are application software to allow you to surf the internet.  Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera are all examples of web browsers.

Search engines are what you use to search for stuff you want to find on the internet.  Google, Bing, Yahoo, and DuckDuckGo are all examples of search engines.  You use these, generally, by going to their respective websites and doing a search.  If you wish to set a given search engine as the one that gets used in a web browser (see above), you must follow the instructions specific to that web browser to set that up.  One can generally find step-by-step instructions by going to the search engine site that you'd like to have set as your default browser search engine, and searching on, "{engine name} {browser name} make default,}, e.g., go to the DuckDuckGo.com website and enter "duckduckgo chrome make default."

As I told you earlier, you should be using the add-on or extension manager within the web browser of your choice (except for MS-Edge, which doesn't yet support extensions for some reason I'll never understand) to find the Adblock Plus Add-On for that browser.  It exists for Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and MS Internet Explorer.   I imagine once Edge is updated to support extensions it will be developed for Edge as well.  At the moment I don't use MS-Edge precisely because I cannot customize it with add-ons like Adblock Plus that make it behave in the way I prefer.  If you are using Edge since you've gone to Windows 10 I would strongly advise you, at least for the time being, to switch to Firefox, Chrome, or Opera until Edge matures and supports add-ons.

Thanks for this explanation :)

I do use MS Edge but will download Chrome ,can you pls give me a safe download link? Thank you!

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,630 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:36 PM

Click on the big "Download Google Chrome" if you want Google Chrome 32-bit.

https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html

Click on Download Chrome for another platform and pick Windows 10/8/7 64-bit if you want to download Google Chrome 64-bit. If you have Windows 64-bit, I suggest you to go with Google Chrome 64-bit for better performance.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,817 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:56 PM

I wanted to follow-up on this because I've now been assisting some visually-impaired clients in installing Adblock Plus for the first time.

During their installation process (at least for IE and Edge, which is different than in the browsers that implement it as an add-on) you are told that Adblock Plus will allow some advertising to come through as a means of supporting their ongoing development. You are also given the option to reject that and to have everything (that they know about through current subscription lists) to be blocked. I haven't done a recent install on the browsers where it is an add-on, so can't speak to those.

There is also a checkbox on their first options page for the filter lists that reads, "Allow some non-intrusive advertising," with a "Visit List" and a "Read More" link directly to its right so that one can make an informed decision regarding whether they consider "non-intrusive" what Adblock Plus does. One can change this option at any time.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:50 PM

There is also a checkbox on their first options page for the filter lists that reads, "Allow some non-intrusive advertising," with a "Visit List" and a "Read More" link directly to its right so that one can make an informed decision regarding whether they consider "non-intrusive" what Adblock Plus does. One can change this option at any time.

None are acceptable to me, but that's me. :) I understand the need for ads, but unless they can make those ads/links 100% safe and a lot less annoying, I'm blocking them.

https://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads

The "list" is quite extensive...

https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/exceptionrules.txt

#12 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:07 PM

Indeed AdBlock (Plus) is the past...

For Firefox and Chromium-based browsers I prefer uBlock Origin.

Lighter on resources and highly configurable!

Since the TS is downloading Google Chrome: info link uBlock Origin

Greets!

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,817 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:59 PM

None are acceptable to me, but that's me. :) I understand the need for ads, but unless they can make those ads/links 100% safe and a lot less annoying, I'm blocking them.

https://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads

The "list" is quite extensive...

https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/exceptionrules.txt

Well, no matter how extensive the list may be the actual appearance of ads is miniscule. I can't recall the last time I saw an ad and if they're being served up, even in quantity, they must truly be unobtrusive. I've not had a single thing blinking, scrolling, sliding down (or over) like a blind, etc., in longer than I can remember.

I'm not criticizing any other product, because I'm sure they exist and work perfectly well. I am simply entirely happy with Adblock Plus and they have a long history with being a good product. To each his or her own.

~ Austin O'Malley

#14 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:26 PM

Well, no matter how extensive the list may be the actual appearance of ads is miniscule. I can't recall the last time I saw an ad and if they're being served up, even in quantity, they must truly be unobtrusive. I've not had a single thing blinking, scrolling, sliding down (or over) like a blind, etc., in longer than I can remember.

What I was trying to say is that I do not care for the non-intrusive ads. So I leave that box unchecked. The list of non-intrusive ads is too extensive for me. I do not wish to see a single ad. When I wasn't blocking ads, I didn't even look at them anyway. Even if you show me all the ads you want, I'm still not buying. If I need something, I'll go get it myself. :)

Edited by Phantom010, 05 January 2016 - 10:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users