Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing components to prolong life of overheating laptops?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 moveon

moveon

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:04 AM

I have done component replacement / computer building years ago but I'm a bit out of date. Would be comfortable doing the work if I was just sure what was needed, and I have the screwdriver sets etc.

Have got 2 laptops (3 and 4 years old) I'd be completely happy with hardware-wise if only they didn't overheat. No need for bigger HDs/more RAM/graphics power etc. Not a gamer now. The keyboards I personally find most RSI friendly are on an expensive brand, so I would much rather keep the cases/screens and just replace internals where needed. One of them also has a bigger screen than I could justify budget-wise these days and it would be great to be able to keep it usable for a lot longer. There are times one or other of them will be on for 15+ hours a day so they do get heavy use, albeit only for the likes of office software, browsing, TV and music, and it seems there is only so much cooling stands and the odd clean can do when a heavily used machine is a few years old.

One - the one I use most at the moment - occasionally has thermal shutdowns, and the other is very noisy and does get very hot, though I can't remember if it actually has ever shut down.

Any advice on how to keep these beasts going for longer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:20 AM

Laptops over time  build up dust inside the fan-housing. Laptops have to be opened up to remove the dust occasionally (if canned air is not used monthly to prevent build-up).

I cannot count the number of times I have removed this dust. It is not that difficult but does require patience and some mechanical ability.

Following image depicts the build-up... much like a dryer filter needs to be cleaned so that air-flow is not restricted to prevent over-heating.

fandust_zpsk4xuhhzb.jpg

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 02:37 PM

+1 Bludgard.....if you do a search on Youtube for your make & model, and include a keyword such as clean, dust, etc. you may find a video on removing the cover. Worth a shot.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users