Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need help with reinstall -- getting i/o error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Pen_Rich

Pen_Rich

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:48 AM

Windows 10, 32-bit OS

I hope someone can help me.  My PC was infected and hasn't run well since, so my goal is to re-install Windows using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool.

diskpart > list disk, shows two disks -- "Disk 0" and "Disk 1".  Disk 0 can be overwritten so Windows installs successfully on it, however Disk 1 is not writable and after I reinstalled on Disk 0, I let Microsoft take remote control of my computer for two hours because my PC was acting funny.  They essentially told me there is nothing they can do and recommended I reinstall Windows.  But I just had!  However, a full format was not completed since Disk 1 is read only and the command to remove readonly attributes from Disk 1 completes successfully, but the readonly attribute remains active.

So my goal is to run "clean all" from diskpart and then to reinstall Windows 10.  But the clean all command fails with an I/O error.  I have used the override command but it returns an I/O error.

I attempted to review the I/O errors in the Event Viewer, but it's a waste of time because I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to that.  I hope you can help me to somehow complete the clean all command.

As an aside, the issue is not with the BIOS and tests on the hard drive indicated it is running okay.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:20 AM

Hve you tried using the hard disk manufacturer's own tool - eg SeaTools for DOS or WD data lifeguard etc to test the disk? and then to write zeros to the drive?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:10 AM

Microsoft took control of your computer?  Most often when I hear this, it's followed by "They charged my credit card several times."

Are you certain that this was a legitimate Microsoft service (not someone claiming to be associated with Microsoft)?

As for I/O errors - most often they are due to physical problems with the hard drive.

Have you run the Seagate Seatools as Adam Pollard suggests?

CHKDSK and SFC are not the same as that, and they don't test the hard drive - rather they test software components that reside (primarily) on the hard drive.

If the problem isn't with the hard drive, then it's possible that there's a problem with the motherboard (in particular, the drive controller that controls the hard drive and DVD drive.

At times, a problem with a DVD drive can screw the controller up enough that it will spit errors.M

Most often you'll see hints about this in the Admin event viewer log (basically look for drive issues and search for "controller" without the quotes), or in the Seagatee Seatools for DOS report.

What happens if you only use the CLEAN command in DISKPART (without using the "ALL")?:

DISKPART> help clean

Removes any and all partition or volume formatting from the disk with
     focus.

Syntax:  CLEAN [ALL]

ALL         Specifies that each and every byte\sector on the disk is set to
                zero, which completely deletes all data contained on the disk.

On master boot record (MBR) disks, only the MBR partitioning information
    and hidden sector information are overwritten. On GUID partition table
    (GPT) disks, the GPT partitioning information, including the Protective
    MBR, is overwritten. If the ALL parameter is not used, the first 1MB
    and the last 1MB of the disk are zeroed. This erases any disk formatting
    that had been previously applied to the disk. The disk's state after
    cleaning the disk is 'UNINITIALIZED'.

Example:

CLEAN

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:11 AM

Do you have another hard drive that you can try installing Windows on?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Pen_Rich

Pen_Rich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:14 AM

Thank you so much for your responses!

Adam Pollard - 'Hve you tried using the hard disk manufacturer's own tool - eg SeaTools for DOS or WD data lifeguard etc to test the disk?"  I appreciate your suggestions but my tech knowledge is limited to an extent that your recommendations read like a foreign language (...and when I went to http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/ they show Chinese characters -- a cosmically poetic representation of my current understanding!).  I would greatly appreciate your elaborating in layman's terms so that I can attempt what you suggest.  To the extent that it's relevant, this ASUS laptop did not come with any disks, nor are they willing to send them to me.

usasma - "Are you certain that this was a legitimate Microsoft service (not someone claiming to be associated with Microsoft)?"  If not then the joke is on them because there wasn't anything worth stealing on the laptop, but I suspect it was legitimate because I used the "contact support" online built-in chat feature for Windows 10.

The computer does not possess a DVD drive.

The clean command returns that Disk 1 is write protected.

"Do you have another hard drive that you can try installing Windows on?"  My sister owns an identical laptop so perhaps I could switch out the hard drives to see if it works on her system?  Though regardless, I'm not sure what that would accomplish?

#6 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:26 AM

Thank you so much for your responses!

Adam Pollard - 'Hve you tried using the hard disk manufacturer's own tool - eg SeaTools for DOS or WD data lifeguard etc to test the disk?"  I appreciate your suggestions but my tech knowledge is limited to an extent that your recommendations read like a foreign language (...and when I went to http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/ they show Chinese characters -- a cosmically poetic representation of my current understanding!).  I would greatly appreciate your elaborating in layman's terms so that I can attempt what you suggest.  To the extent that it's relevant, this ASUS laptop did not come with any disks, nor are they willing to send them to me.

usasma - "Are you certain that this was a legitimate Microsoft service (not someone claiming to be associated with Microsoft)?"  If not then the joke is on them because there wasn't anything worth stealing on the laptop, but I suspect it was legitimate because I used the "contact support" online built-in chat feature for Windows 10.

The computer does not possess a DVD drive.

The clean command returns that Disk 1 is write protected.

"Do you have another hard drive that you can try installing Windows on?"  My sister owns an identical laptop so perhaps I could switch out the hard drives to see if it works on her system?  Though regardless, I'm not sure what that would accomplish?

OK, when you were talking about using the advanced tool DISKPART, I assumed a certain technical knowledge. You said you had tested the hard disk, what tool did you use?

If you want to try to test and fix this problem yourself, I would suggest is downloading the Universal Boot CD, from http://www.ultimatebootcd.com

This comes with a number of manufacturer tools including SeaTools for DOS, which can be used with most (if not all) hard drives.

Then use a tool like IMGBURN http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to create a bootable CD or USB stick.

Boot from the stick or CD, use the keyboard to go to HDD, then choose diagnosis, and scroll down to SeaTools for DOS (or if you see your hard drive manufacturer listed, use their tool instead) 

Then run the full test. If you want to completely erase the disk, choose write zeros to the whole drive. You will of course lose all data on the disk.

You will also need to enable CSM boot in the UEFI settings, and enable legacy boot / disable UEFI boot.

Having said all this, I would recommend taking it to a professional as I think you are out of your depth.

Edited by Adam Pollard, 30 December 2015 - 09:28 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:52 AM

Quite frankly, my suspicion here is that the disk is damaged.

Hear are my instructions for hard drive diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

If unable to run them, then the next thing is to try another hard drive (to see if you can install Windows on that one).  If you can, then it would be safe to presume that the old hard drive is damaged.

FYI - you can purchase a new hard drive from a local shop that will accept returns if it's not needed.  In the US places like BestBuy, Target, WalMart, Staples all have this sort of return policy (check to be sure).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users