Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP upgrade to 8.1 HELP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jxpars004

jxpars004

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:54 PM

Hello all,

This is my first post and I'm hoping someone here can provide some insight as to what may or may not work with what I'm trying to do. The long and short of it is that I built a pc (specs listed below) in 2008 with windows XP on it. 2 years ago, XP crashed, and pursuing a career, my gaming pc got put away for a while. Now I am trying to revive my old pc to have some fun again.

BASICALLY, I have my current hard drive with all my games, files, and the crashed version of windows xp. I want to install a new, 2nd hard drive in my computer and install a new clean version of windows 8.1.

MY QUESTIONS ARE:

-Will all my pc components (being all purchased in 2007) support windows 8.1?

And

-How would I go about running two hard drives, installing a new version of windows on blank hard drive #2, and keeping all my old games / files except for windows xp from hard drive number 1?

Thanks for the help in advance!!

My PC:

PSU- 500 watt power supply

MOTHERBOARD- Asus P5N-D

CPU- Intel E8400 Wolfdale 3.0 GHz LGA 775 (I plan to overcook slightly)

CPU FAN- Corsair H50 CPU Water cooler 120 mm radiator and fan

RAM- 2 X 2GB Gskill 240 pin DDR2 800

Hard drives- #1 Western Digital 500 GB 7200 RPM

#2 Western Digital 350 GB 7200 RPM

Video Card- Evga GeForce GTX 550Ti

If I left anything crucial out please let me know, also if needed, I can provide more specifics i.e. exact model on all components. Thanks!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:47 AM

A good way to check if your PC support Windows 8.1 is to use the Upgrade Assistant. You can download it from here, clicking the link will start the download.

To install Windows in drive #2, boot into the setup as usual, when setup asks you when to install Windows, select drive #2 (if you don't know which is #2, see its size), and click "Next". Here is a very good tutorial on how to clean install Windows 8: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2299-clean-install-windows-8-a.html

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,526 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:18 AM

My short experience with Windows 8, it refused to run any games from my XP days.  Even tried compatability mode, did not work.  I hope your XP-based games won't run into the same Windows 8 brick wall that mine did!

Edited by RolandJS, 30 December 2015 - 06:18 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:17 AM

As batman1234 suggested, the Window 8.1 Upgrade Assistant will tell you if there are any potential problems.  But if you look at the Windows 8.1 system requirements you will see that your components are compatible.

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)
RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver.

One thing you may want to be aware of, this the fact that electrolytic capacitors breakdown over time.  I would take a close look at the large capacitors on the motherboard.  Look at the capacitors here to see what a bad cap looks like.  There are large capacitors inside the PSU, these will break down over time resulting a loss of wattage or failure.  The components you purchased are getting close to nine years old, so this is a valid concern.

The problem with games that go back to the XP era is that most of these are not going to be compatible with Windows 8.1, event in compatibility mode.  Another option would be to repair the XP operating system and dual boot so that you can run XP to play your games, and have Windows 8.1 as you main operating system.

What do you mean by XP crashed?  

Are you sure it's the operating system and not the hdd?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 awesomearc

awesomearc

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:20 AM

Hello jxpars004.

So basically, you currently have:

- A 7 year old PC

- With a crashed Windows XP

I in which you want to:

- Put a new hard disk and

- Install Windows 8.1 in that hard disk

Right?

I'm assuming that the new drive is unpartitioned and does not have any data in it.

So...

The easy way:

1. Boot using the Windows 8.1 install media.

2. Click the 'Install Now' button.

3. Select the NEW hard disk.

4. Check that you have unallocated space and no partitions on the disk.

5. Finally click 'Next' and let the setup do its job.

The 'advanced' way (Here planning is everything!):

1. Boot using the Windows 8.1 install media.

2. Click the 'Install Now' button.

3. Select the NEW hard disk.

4. Check that you have unallocated space and no partitions on the disk.

5. Now, create a new partition where you would want to install Windows 8.1. This will be the C: drive.

NOTE: If you want to create some other drives, DO NOT utilize all of the space just for the C: drive. I would recommend keeping 60-80 GB space for the C: drive. Move on to step 6.

6. Optional: You might want to create additional partitions for storing data. In that case, create 1 or 2 new partitions from the unallocated space. Select any size you want. Remember to plan well before you create the partitions.

7. Click 'Next' and let the setup do its job.

I hope I helped. :)

Usually, I do not get online before 1:00 PM or after 10:00 PM (my local time).

So, if I do not reply to a thread where I am currently active, make sure you check my local time to see if it's time for me to be online or not. :)

#6 jxpars004

jxpars004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:38 PM

Hello all and thanks for your input!

Awesome Arc, that's basically exactly what I'm trying to do. Hit the nail on the head.

My plan is to mostly be using this pc for Microsoft Flight simulator and counterstrike, both of which i'll probably repurchase from Steam. My other question is, other than the sata cables plugged into the motherboard from both hard drives, is there anything I have to do bios or config wise to link these hard drives. I.E. would it cause any problems installing the games on one hard drive and windows on another??

Also, if anyone knows anything about the Corsair H50 I have, is there any maintenance that needs to be done on this? I purchased this probably about 2 to 3 years ago, much newer than the rest of the system, but still a little long in the tooth. Thanks in advance!

Edited by jxpars004, 30 December 2015 - 06:41 PM.

#7 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:30 AM

You might need to change the boot order in the BIOS or it might boot into the wrong hard drive.

I won't cause problems when OS and games installed on different hard drive, but some XP games might not run on newer version of Windows.

You should clean the cooler and PC on a regular basis. Dust can build up in your PC over time and result in poor airflow. This can cause components overheating, especially when overclock. A can of compressed air is a great way to clean the PC. Bleeping Computer has a good tutorial on how to do this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users