Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't delete OneDrive icon from the desktop

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 jsaklas

jsaklas

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:19 PM

I will never use OneDrive.  I did the following which was supposed to uninstall it (I'm running Window 10 and Classic Windows.):

In the Run prompt:

taskkill /f /im OneDrive.exe

then

%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall

I don't know if this worked.  However, I still have the OneDrive on my desktop.

How can I remove OneDrive icon (and the Libraries icon) from my desktop?  Dragging it to the Recycle Bin does NOT delete it.

I also would like to stop the automatic re-ordering of my desktop icons every time I start the computer, but perhaps this should be a separate topic.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,685 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:23 PM

Shall I repeat the precise, and accurate, answer I gave to you to this exact question posted on Geeks to Go?

You need to post a screen shot of what you're talking about if you're claiming you can't drag any desktop icon to the Recycle Bin and have it go away, because I have NEVER seen one that would not (and I've been in this business for decades).

Edited by britechguy, 29 December 2015 - 10:25 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 jsaklas

jsaklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:40 AM

Brian, the britechguy,

In referring to the inability to delete the OneDrive and LIbraries icons, you say "because I have NEVER seen one that would not (and I've been in this business for decades)."  I am happy to expand your knowledge by being the first one in which this does not work.  IF it did work, I would not be on this forum.  If you still don't believe me you are welcome to have access to my machine to see it for yourself.

I don't know what you expect to learn from a screen shot concerning the issue that the OneDrive and the Libraries icons do not go away when dragged to the Recycle Icon, but attached are two screen shots that demonstrate how Windows rearranges my icons.  The first (Screen Shot 1.png) shows where I place the icons,  I then Switched User and brought up my wife's desktop, she checked her email and the switched user back to me.  The second screen shot (Screen Shot2) shows how Windows rearranges my icons.  This happens whenever I log on.

Lastly, I am on this forum, as it is my right, because I was seeking a solution to my issue, which I, as of yet, do not have.

Jim

Attached Files

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,685 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:31 PM

Jim,

I will allow someone else to assist you.   You have ignored what I have asked you to do, are not at all clear about what is going on, and I don't have time to assist someone who wants to either object to or ignore every bit of advice I have to offer.

Good luck in solving your issue.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 03:30 PM

That is odd. I have been using Windows 10 for about a year and I have installed it over 25 different times on various computers, and I have never even seen a OneDrive desktop icon. That is a new one.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 jsaklas

jsaklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:25 PM

Rocky,

I hope you can help.  As you see from the two screen dumps, I have a OneDrive icon and Libraries icon on my desktop which can NOT be deleted by dragging them to the Recycle Bin.  I have no gain by lying; this is the situation, and I thought I made that clear to Brian.  Furthermore, note that Windows rearranges the icons.  I made that clear to Brian and indeed the screen dumps show that.  Brian says that I am, "not at all clear about what is going on"  how can I be any clearer, please explain.

Lastly, Brian suggested that I try,  DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth which must be run from the Administrators Command Prompt. He said to right click on the Command Prompt Icon, and I explained that I do NOT have a Command Prompt icon on my desktop.    However, I received some help from another person and finally got to bring up an Administrators Command Prompt and I typed in the command he suggested.

I need to shut down the computer and restart to see if it helped.

Jim

Edited by jsaklas, 02 January 2016 - 11:37 PM.

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:59 AM

Jim,

Please report back if that helps. If it does not help I will play around with my computer to see if I can come up with a different idea.

Rocky

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:19 AM

Onedrive is tightly integrated into windows10 so getting rid of it is like deleting Explorer you can Turn it off though......Iv'e never done it myself so its up to youwhether you try it

Disable OneDrive Everywhere in Windows and Apps Completely

1. Press Win + R keyboard accelerator to open Run dialog box.
  2. Type GPedit.msc and hit Enter or OK to open Local Group Policy Editor.
  3. Navigate to Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> OneDrive.
  4. In the right pane, double click on policy named Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage.
  5. Select the Enabled radio button.

disable-onedrive-windows.png

6. Click or tap OK when done.

OR you can do it in the registry

Here’s how to use Registry Editor to turn off OneDrive everywhere completely:

1. Press Win + R keyboard accelerator to open Run dialog box.
  2. Type RegEdit.exe and hit Enter or OK to open Registry Editor.
  3. Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows

4. Right click on Windows and select New -> Key. Name the new key as OneDrive.

Note: If OneDrive key already exists, skip this step.

5. Right click on OneDrive registry key, and select New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value. Name the new value name asDisableFileSyncNGSC
  6. Set the data for DisableFileSyncNGSC registry value as 1.

DisableFileSyncNGSC.png

Note: DisableFileSync registry value only works in Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 and does not work in Windows 10.

7. Close Registry Editor.
  8. Sign out and sign in again, or restart the computer.

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:38 PM

The OP does not want to disable OneDrive, he just wants to get rid of the desktop icon.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:02 PM

Open explorer and go here

C:\Users\<your login name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Is OneDrive listed? Right click and delete.

Edit: you will need to show hidden folders first.

Your posted images show OneDrive on the Start Menu, not the Desktop.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 January 2016 - 03:15 PM.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,685 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:15 PM

John_C21,

Just for pure accuracy's sake, one can no longer presume the <your login name> will be your actual login name, particularly if you're using a Microsoft account to log in.  In that case I've generally seen <first five characters of  e-mail address_000>.

Also, on my computer the shortcut to OneDrive is listed in that folder but it neither appears on my desktop nor starts automatically at startup because I tweaked OneDrive to simply not start automatically.

#12 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:15 PM

I will never use OneDrive.  I did the following which was supposed to uninstall it 

and

%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall

Maybe that Threw me into thinking he wanted rid of it all....

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:18 PM

John_C21,

Just for pure accuracy's sake, one can no longer presume the <your login name> will be your actual login name, particularly if you're using a Microsoft account to log in.  In that case I've generally seen <first five characters of  e-mail address_000>.

Also, on my computer the shortcut to OneDrive is listed in that folder but it neither appears on my desktop nor starts automatically at startup because I tweaked OneDrive to simply not start automatically.

Thanks for that tip, Brian.

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,685 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:33 PM

John_C21,

Thanks for that tip, Brian.

What I'll be curious to see is whether it increments the digit string after the underscore.  I have put my partner's Microsoft account on this machine, but since we very seldom use the same machine he has never logged on to it yet.  I'm wondering if he'll be _001 or just his first five with _000.

Addendum:  I decided to complete the setup on the account by logging in, and the directory path uses only the first five characters of the e-mail address with no underscore and digit sequence.  I'm now guessing that this is either a change since the earlier builds or is an artifact of the upgrade process from Windows 8.1 that does not happen otherwise.

Edited by britechguy, 03 January 2016 - 06:52 PM.

#15 jsaklas

jsaklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:08 PM

As I said in the previous post, after securing the Administrator's prompt, I tried DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth     it ran and after a few minutes stopped at 100%, but sadly it did not solve the problem.  I still have the unwanted icons (One.Drive and Libraries) AND Windows is still rearranging my icons on the desktop.

I then tried JohnC_21's suggestion.  As you can see from the screen dump, there was nothing in the desired folder.

Also, I don't understand why you said: Your posted images show OneDrive on the Start Menu, not the Desktop.  Thy are clearly on the desktop.  The Start shell looks lit up, but that is simple my chosen color arrangement.

Jim

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users