Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome~No Notification Closing Multi Tabs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:05 PM

Greetings!

Attempting to migrate to Google Chrome from Firefox.

Windows Vista Home; default browser Firefox.

Tabs and Firefox: when I attempt to close the Firefox browser, and I have more than one tab open, I receive a notification if i wish to close all tabs or <???>

In Google Chrome, I have not found the same setting?

What have I done:

*used all tools/settings to find anything to tick on to receive a notification that I am about to close the Chrome browser, with multiple tabs open, nothing found.

*used Chrome "help" with no results

*searched Google to hunt for any similar post difficulties in any forum; I did find one work-around however the extension is no longer supported.

I'm not an expert in finding a needle anywhere <bad eye sight!> however; I really hope that  there is a BC guru that has come upon this same situation and either found a solution, a key command; or has learned to deal with it?

Many thanks in advance! :flowers:

softeyes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:40 PM

I have found nothing, just like you did, that is native to Chrome that supports is feature.

However, there is the Window Close Protector extension, which the developer warns may no longer work, and this other alternative that's a work-around but that appears to work (see CNet article).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:08 AM

@Btitechguy

Thank you for diving into a solution for me!

* the extension is worth a try <can't hurt..might not work>...I believe it was the only option I had found

*CNET: please laugh...no doubt this task would be a breeze for you as an expert! For me...well...I'll admit to  burning instant oatmeal...best I pass! I really appreciate that you found that option!

As I was pursuing your discoveries, please chuckle as I have now found this statement from "The Google Chrome Blog": http://chrome.blogspot.com/2015/11/updates-to-chrome-platform-support.html

<snip>

Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015: Today, we’re announcing the end of Chrome’s support for Windows XP, as well as Windows Vista, and Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8, since these platforms are no longer actively supported by Microsoft and Apple. Starting April 2016, Chrome will continue to function on these platforms but will no longer receive updates and security fixes.

:lmao: Well...this good ol' lappy is not landfill material; Vista stays.

I'm thinking I'll teach my brain to just open a new window using the keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+N (Windows and Linux); ⌘-N (Mac) <or if the big loss takes place: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95631?hl=en&ref_topic=14678>

I appreciate your time!

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:12 AM

Softeyes,

The option at CNet actually works, and while anyone would admit it's a kludge since Chrome doesn't seem to want to formally implement the option it really is easy enough to use.  If the page in question is either made your home page or if you, like myself, tend to keep multiple tabs open and like to "restart where I left off" you can just open that URL and let the page sit undisturbed.

I never thought about it too much in Chrome since they do have the restore recently closed window feature as part of their history function (and that option only shows up if you've recently closed a window with multiple tabs, otherwise it's just a list of recently closed tabs).  My fat-fingering far more frequently closes a tab that I did not intend to close than a window I did not intend to close.  I guess my irrational hold over from the very early days of Windows of avoiding having my mouse anywhere near "the red X at the upper right corner" continues to serve me well.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users