Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New desktop PC needed - Is this worth the money?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jim0123

Jim0123

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:31 PM

I've been trying to find a new desktop computer with a spec decent enough to do work, play my music, and the odd game - nothing too intensive on graphics, just Football Manager and one or two others.

I've found this - http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=P1J82EA&opt=ABU&sel=DTP which doesn't seem to be a bad spec at £449 ($665) but I'm no expert and just wanted another opinion before I spent the money.

My current machine is creaking, and is five years old so is ready for the scrapyard.  I'm not really keen to spend more than £500 on a new computer, so if there's something else out there that may be useful for at least the next 2-3 years then I'm open to suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:45 AM

Old desktop specs? Probably something can be saved from that.

#3 Jim0123

Jim0123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:46 AM

This is the spec of my existing system - it wasn't exactly a great machine when it was brand spanking new, but it was good enough for what I needed.  As time's gone on (and with various updates) it really is flagging.

Processor: AMD Sempron™ Processor 3600+ 2.00 GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (2.94 GBG usable)

System type: 32-bit Operating System (Windows 7)

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE (Approx total memory - 1065 MB)

Plus with my existing system I don't have a HDMI connection or Wi-fi enabled...

Is the system that I posted a link to in my last post no good / not good value then?

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:13 AM

Not much to take from that old machine. Do you need OEM machine or can it be built from parts?

#5 Jim0123

Jim0123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:21 PM

Rather not do too much building and putting together because I don't have the time to dedicate to it, I'm just looking for a machine out of the box that will do what I want and not need to be replaced within months - I probably won't be doing more than I am at the moment (mainly work, a bit of Football Manager, and my music) but I'd just like it to be a bit more reliable and quicker too.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:18 AM

The HP computer you linked to has a ton more power/ resources to use than your present desktop.

EDIT: This HP would be much more powerful than your present one....and you could throw in a new  monitor for

what you are willing to pay for the other. Just an option/ suggestion.

HP Pavilion 550-110 Desktop (Intel Core i3, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD)

Edited by buddy215, 31 December 2015 - 09:30 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 Jim0123

Jim0123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:35 PM

That's great.  Thanks for your help.

I'll take a look at your suggestion too, but it's good to see that I'm on the right lines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users