Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice needed for creating Win10 Media Creation Tool

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:50 PM

Advice needed for creating Win10 Media Creation Tool without installing Win10 at this time

I have a Win7 32-bit desktop that has Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586 2,032.8 MB as an optional update in Windows Update. That’s fine with me as I want Windows 10 to be installed naturally when its time. I have created a system image backup using MR in case it comes in handy for some unforeseen issue

Now I want to create a Windows 10 Media Creation Tool on this computer ahead of time.

From what I’ve read it’s possible to do so on a USB flash drive as well as into a CD disc

--- I have an 8 GB flash drive

--- I also have DVD-RW & DVD-R discs available, as I don’t know which one is preferable

I’d like to create both items for the experience of knowing how to do so

The reason I’m asking ahead of time is because some instructions I’ve read include how to install Windows 10 with the Media Creation Tool and it’s difficult for me to distinguish the different procedures.

I just want the Media Creation Tool available in case I need it in the future

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,485 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:52 PM

The Media Creation Tool allows you to either upgrade the current system to Windows 10, or download a Windows 10 .iso so that you can create an installation media with it (either a USB Flash Drive or a CD/DVD). What you want to do here is to download the Windows 10 .iso that you need (x86 assuming it's to be used on your Windows 7 32-bit in the future), and then create a bootable USB with it and/or burn it to a DVD. Simple as that.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 joseftriumf

joseftriumf

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:35 PM

1 - Download ISO to USB : http://www.isotousb.com/

2 - Run it .

3 - insert your Flash drive or CD/DVD.

4 - in Brows put the windows 10 ISO file that you downloaded it.

5 - Let the file systéme in : FAT32.

6 - Select Bootable.

7 - Press Burn ( it may take some time ) 

I wish that helps. 

Good Luck (y) 

#4 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:00 PM

Follow the instructions on this page. https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Ignore the "upgrade now", and scroll down to "download tool now" - read the instructions first. If you are downloading the tool for the pc you want to upgrade, it should automatically detect the architecture and version of Windows10

Edited by Adam Pollard, 30 December 2015 - 02:00 PM.

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,608 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 07:55 PM

"Ignore the "upgrade now", and scroll down to "download tool now" Thanks Adam

--- I will going through that over the weekend

I'd like to let you know the reason that I want to create the Windows 10 Media Creation tool before allowing Windows 10 to be installed through the normal means is because I volunteer at our senior center and is part as one of my "backup" plans if called for.

--- My computer is the test computer for which plan I hope to use as a standard for others I'll be helping in both Windows 7 & Windows 8.1.

Happy new year Adam, Aura & joseftriumf

#6 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:09 PM

Happy new year to you too!

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,608 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:26 AM

I just finished doing the Official get Windows 10 from Microsoft

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Since I expect to help others to upgrade to Windows 10, I elected to do the ISO file onto DVD-RW as the process also includes creating the Media Creation tool onto USB using the Create installation media for another PC

--- Since my computer is Windows 7 32-bit, I selected Windows 7 32-bit (x86).

--- There’s also an option to do Windows 7 64-bit (x64):

--- Can I do that on my 32-bit machine or do I have to wait until I can get to a 64-bit machine?

Would it be a good idea to go back and also create the Media Creation tool onto USB alone?

--- Even though I’m going to read the instructions on how to use either or both media, until I get to experiment have no idea on how to use either system, so I think that would be a good idea.

Just to make sure, I think it also makes sense to delete the Windows.iso that was created on the desktop.

Finally I want to create a set up just for my own computer

I suspect the way to do so is still (dot) the Create installation media for another PC but then keep Use the recommended options for this PC checked this time: make sense?

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,890 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:20 AM

cmpturgy,

First, and I say this not to be nasty, but you are not "creating the Media Creation Tool" you are using the Media Creation Tool to create install media.  That is it's purpose for being, to allow either the machine in question to be upgraded (if you choose the Upgrade this PC option it will not even create separate media, but will do the good, old-fashioned upgrade process launched via the website) or to create installation media that you can carry from machine to machine to upgrade them.

You can create media for either a 32-bit or 64-bit machine on either a 32-bit or 64-bit machine.  What's pivotal is the contents of the .iso itself, not the platform on which it is downloaded and then converted into bootable media (DVD, USB, or both).

What you do have to be careful of, if you are using the Media Creation Tool to create that bootable upgrade media, is that you use the correct version for the machine you are trying to upgrade.  You must not only have the correct "bit match" but also the correct Windows 10 version match (Home or Pro) depending on what version of Windows 7 or Windows 8 is on the machine being upgraded.  You cannot do a free upgrade, for instance, on a Windows 7 Home Premium machine to Windows 10 Pro.  You must upgrade (if you want a free upgrade) from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home.  I would imagine that Windows 7 or Windows 8 in their Pro/Ultimate versions might accept a "downgrade upgrade" where you'd go to Windows 10 Home, but you really wouldn't want to do that, so carrying along the correct upgrade medium for the machine in question is critical.

You can definitely upgrade your own PC using installation media made from the ISO file from the media creation tool.  The only real disadvantage of doing this occurs over time.  The online "Upgrade this PC" process uses the latest (or next to latest, sometimes there's a lag) build of Windows 10 when applying the upgrade.  The installation media you burn from ISO is "frozen in time" and will use whatever build you happened to download when you downloaded it.  As time goes by this build becomes more and more "stale" and then the resulting upgraded system will have a lot more Windows Updates that must be applied to bring it up to the current build.  This issue can be avoided, to some extent, if you keep an eye on when "the big dot releases" or a change in build number occurs and then you download new copies of the ISOs via the Media Creation Tool and burn new installation media from those.

As to the USB and DVD options, I myself lean toward DVD, but that's because all of the systems I've upgraded have optical drives.  What's going to drive the USB choice, though you can use that on machines that have optical drives, is when you encounter a laptop that never came with an optical drive in the first place.  The basic technique of updating UEFI/BIOS to change the boot order to look at the desired boot device first, whichever it is, is essentially the same.  Then you change that boot order back after the upgrade is complete.

Edited by britechguy, 04 January 2016 - 10:23 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,608 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:17 PM

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I have reviewed procedures from different recommendations and finally have a sense of direction anyway. That puts me in good position to help others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users