Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Hsf 'wiggles' A Little

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mark hayenga

Mark hayenga

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:21 PM

Hi,

I have a Zalman 700 series graphics card cooler on my 6600GT AGP. This is about the only HSF that will fit my card. I installed it according to the directions, but it seems to have maybe 1 degree of 'wiggle' to it radially due to a little play in between the HSF itself and the bracket that holds it to the card. It appears to make good contact with the die no matter what force I put on it in other directions, but twisting it makes it wiggle just a little bit.

Should I worry about this? Thanks!

Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:43 PM

I take it that it is wiggling because of the length of the attachment screws? The only real way around it is to have a backplate (or something to increase teh width of the attached board) so that the screws cannot move laterally.
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 Mark hayenga

Mark hayenga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:09 PM

Actually the bracket and screws are perfectly solid, it is just a little give between the bracket and the heat sink itself which lets the heat sink wiggle a litte (bracket stays put).

link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.as...OLER+%2D+Retail

The two metal tabs are the ends of the bracket that run through the heat sink/fan assembly. They/the bracket are secured solidly and don't move. The heat sink is held firmly in place against the die by the bracket, but slides around a little rotationally against the die (thermal grease acting as lube I guess). I hope that explains it a little better.

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:19 PM

I think I see what you are saying. Does the assembly rotate but the back bracket stays still?

I guess, in reality, it shouldn't matter a great deal. So long as the contact between the die and the processor is snug, then the HSF should still operate correclty. If it's only rotating when you move it (and not when you, for example, rotate the card) then it won't be an issue once it's installed.

The only other thing you could do (whih I probably wouldn't) is screw it in more firmly. But you run the risk of damage, and I dare say from the look of the metal tabs beneath the fan, they might just bend down and dig into your card.
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#5 Mark hayenga

Mark hayenga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:27 PM

Yes, the assembly (everything that looks copper in the picture + the fan) rotates a little bit, but the bracket (silvery metal tabs) is solid and stays put (there are screws down through it and the card to another bracket on the back side).

As far as screwing it on more firmly, I got the screws all the way in - maybe this is the reason it wiggles (ie it needs to be screwed down more tightly but can't because the screws are all the way in)? I'll have another look at it when I pop the case open to put in the new power supply and CPU HSF (the cpu hsf is the same brand/basic type, so it might do the same thing).

#6 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:34 PM

Ah I see - if they are moving separately (the bracket and the HSF) then it is more likely the way they are held together, in which case their isn't much you can do. I would contact Zelman and see if that is the way they designed it (obviously not intentionally, but more a commonality). Either way I wouldn't be too concerned. :thumbsup:
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#7 Mark hayenga

Mark hayenga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:02 AM

I put on the CPU HSF unit by Zalman tonight, and it has the same little 'wiggle' to it albeit moderated by the rubber pads on the Athlon XP processor package. It's still a solid connection, and I doubt I would get two faulty HSF units from two different lines of cooler (700 series graphic card series and 7000 CPU cooler series) in one order, so I'm guessing it's an acceptable part of the design (they use the same clip-type mounting system). Like I said, both seem to make fine contact with the die so I am not worried. I will get the comp put back together (had to pull mobo to install new PSU and CPU HSF) and check my temps then. If it's near the same as it was before it should be fine (this upgrade is mainly to silence the horrendous noise machine this thing was with the stock 6600GT cooler/stock AMD cooler/stock power supply).

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:10 AM

The problem I can see is that if it has room enough where the thermal paste is to wiggle the connection is not solid and when the paste dries you may have a problem.

I would suggest talking to their support to get some input from them.

A loose, wobbling contact between a processor and the heat sink is not tolerable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users