Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

screensaver completely white background

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:58 AM

My screensaver is not working at all. None of them are, including the ones that came with Windows 7! they all show just a white screen with nothing on it. all white. I tried changing screensavers and changing back just to find that no screensaver will work anymore. Can somebody help me fix this because I really like my Reshiram screensaver.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 giangurgolo

giangurgolo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:25 PM

This also just started happening to me, today. I'm using Windows 8.1. It only does this with custom screen savers (the clock screen savers Fliqlo and Dropclock), which have been working fine until today. It appears white in both the screen savers' thumbnail preview (in the default Windows screen saver settings window) and the full screen view. I'm using the latest drivers of my AMD Radeon R7 260X graphics card.

Edited by giangurgolo, 29 December 2015 - 06:26 PM.

#3 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:35 PM

since then I have been trying to figure it out. Two other computers did the same thing shortly after I posted this. Digging into the Windows logs, I found that on the computers affected, Flash was updated to the latest version. On a fourth, I decided to block Adobe Flash from updating to that version and voila, the problem never happened. On my main, I downgraded Flash back to 20.0.0.228 (Activex only but keeping NPAPI at current (20.0.0.267)) and the screensaver worked again. apparently these screensavers have issues with the 20.0.0.267 activex versions. If I were to reinstall my Instant Storm screensaver while 20.0.0.267 activex is installed, Instant Storm reports that Flash is not installed but does not give that message when 20.0.0.228 is installed.

#4 Brandx

Brandx

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:38 PM

One of my three computers is doing this white screen thing. The PC that updated to flash 20.0.0.267.

Thanks for posting SF. I thought I just had a Windows issue. And it was starting to wear on me.

My other two computers are on version 20.0.0.228, and work fine. So I disabled Flash updating in my Task Manager, Secunia and the Flash Player Setting Manager in control panel.

The update tab of the Settings Manager shows I only have the Active X but not NPAPI or PPAPI plug ins.

I have the flash uninstaller tool and the 150mb 20.0.0.228 flash version. But it has two folders and six executable files.

Question: Which of the six files do I use to install version 20.0.0.228?

#5 Brandx

Brandx

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:44 AM

I found the answer, it is the winax file.

To clarify:  Download from Adobe.com, the uninstaller (uninstall_flash_player.exe) and the fp_20.0.0.228_archive.zip (150MB).

Close the browser. Run uninstaller. Run flashplayer20_0d0_228_winax.exe.

Now, the screensavers I made with instant storm work.

Thanks for the 411 Sylveon Fetish. I could not have imagined that Adobe would punk me. I was spinning my wheels thinking it was Windows problem.

#6 Brandx

Brandx

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:33 AM

One last thing.

Flash Version 20.0.0.228 is good for Windows 7 ONLY!

Windows 8 and Windows 10, IE 10 and 11 and Edge REQUIRE Flash Version 20.0.0.267.

As I understand from reading Adobe Security Bulletin

https://helpx.adobe.com/security/products/flash-player/apsb16-01.html

and Microsoft Security Advisory

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/2755801

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users