Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd-rw Problem

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Mark hayenga

Mark hayenga

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:19 PM

Hello,

I previously had two optical drives on my system - a CDRW and a regular CDROM. I replaced the CDROM with an NEC ND3350A DVD-RW drive. I had become accustomed to dragging and dropping files to be burned into a window for the CDRW drive (this worked whether there was a blank disc in the drive or not).

It seems I cannot do this with the DVD-RW drive. If no disc is in the drive, it will say 'insert disc'. If a blank CD-R is in the drive, it gives me an access error. It will read written media fine, and I can burn via the included Nero software to blank CD-R's in the drive, but I have to use the Nero software - can't drag and drop to the window files to be burned. Operating system is WinXP SP2.

Any ideas? Thanks guys!

Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:32 PM

ok this could be a problem with nero. Can you please tell me what version of Nero you are currently running?

Do me a favor and uninstall your cd-rw drive restart your computer and your computer should detect it as new hardware and reinstall the cd-drive. :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

Edited by zemoman, 26 July 2006 - 02:00 PM.

ROOTKITS BAD!

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:36 PM

When you go to My Computer, right click the DVD drive, and select Properties , do you have a Recording tab?
If so, what are the settings.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Mark hayenga

Mark hayenga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:37 PM

zemoman,

It's version 6....

tq1911,

I don't have a recording tab...

Edited by Mark hayenga, 26 July 2006 - 01:39 PM.

#5 Mark hayenga

Mark hayenga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:49 PM

OK zemoman, you may be onto something....

I uninstalled the CDRW, rebooted, Windows detected the CDRW and installed it. But now, the situation is reversed - I can drag and drop to the DVDRW, but not the CDRW. I am befuddled.

#6 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:57 PM

Ok so this is a problem with nero. Plaese tell me did you download your version of nero or get it from a cd? :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:
ROOTKITS BAD!

#7 Mark hayenga

Mark hayenga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:59 PM

It came packaged with the drive...

Edited by Mark hayenga, 26 July 2006 - 02:00 PM.

#8 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:02 PM

ok you still there?
ROOTKITS BAD!

#9 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:04 PM

Ok what im gan need you to do is to uninstall nero and from you computer and then reinstall nero.
ROOTKITS BAD!

#10 Mark hayenga

Mark hayenga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:05 PM

From the same included CD or a new version off the web?

#11 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:11 PM

I would reinstall it from the cd, becuase if you install if the web it doesn't come with all the features. Aftr your finished with the reinstall be sure to go to nero.com and check for any updates to your nero software. You must check for updates from nero every month or so. If your nero software is not up to date there could be problems on your computer!

Edited by zemoman, 26 July 2006 - 02:12 PM.

ROOTKITS BAD!

#12 Mark hayenga

Mark hayenga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 03:43 PM

OK, I have un-installed and re-installed Nero and got all the updates. It is still doing the same thing, what next?

#13 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:06 PM

Ok there are 2 options you must pick from at this point.

1. Install a differnet cd burning software such as sonic
OR
2. Do systeem retsore by going to start>all programs>accessories>system tools>system restore. At then which you will reverse you compuuter back in time before this problem started happening.

My suggestion is to download a new cd burning software BUT do not delete nero. Once the new cd burning software is installed try to burn a cd if the same problem happens with the new cd burning software uninstall it of your computer, and if all fails we will have to do a system restore. I HOPE ALL WORKS OR YOU COMPUTER IS GOING TO BE :inlove: JUST PLAYING LOL! :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:
ROOTKITS BAD!

#14 Mark hayenga

Mark hayenga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:31 PM

Well I just went ahead and tried a system restore, but it didn't fix it (hrmph). But can we at least say this is definitely a software and not a hardware issue? I'll be wiping the machine and reinstalling in a few weeks anyway, I just want to make sure it's not a problem with the drive before I am beyond the 30 day return period.

BTW thank you for all the help, you are MUCH better than the NEC tech support guy (who told me I was using cheap media :thumbsup:)

Edited by Mark hayenga, 26 July 2006 - 09:32 PM.

#15 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 10:37 PM

I would say this is defenetly a software problem and even if it is a hardware problem (which i highly dont think it is) when you reinstall windows it should fix everything. Im glad I could be of assistance :thumbsup:

Also if you are having any problems reinstalling windows just make a new post and ill be happy to help you.

BYE

Edited by zemoman, 26 July 2006 - 10:38 PM.

ROOTKITS BAD!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users