Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black laptop screen after installing arch linux

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 LinkTree

LinkTree

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:04 AM

Hi,

My laptop is an old Samsung R540 with an AMD Radeon HD5470 GPU.
I followed this installation guide: 
Everything went fine until I restarted the laptop and noticed the screen didn't turn on. I was quite confused and worried so I quickly shut it down and tried to restart it again. It didn't work so I tried connecting it to an external Monitor and this time I got an image on the external monitor but it was strange because it seemed like it was skipping the Samsung BIOS entirely and goes to the GRUB screen. After selecting an option in the GRUB screen it starts loading Arch but then fails with lots of errors similar to "[drm:uvd_v1_0_start] *ERROR* UVD not responding trying to reset the vcpu"(please note I don't remember exactly the errors but it was very similar to this)
I assumed that maybe Arch has no built in drivers supporting that GPU and that's why it gives errors and doesn't turn on the laptop screen and since I don't know enough about this distro or linux in general I decided to install a different distro I am a little bit more familiar with and I know it worked 100% on that laptop in the past. This fixed the Samsung BIOS not showing at startup but didn't fix the screen issue.

I then went on and tried to install other different linux distros and windows 7 multiple times but the problem persists I can't get the laptop screen to turn on.

I tried using the function keys for switching displays and changing brightness levels but it had no effect.

I tried shutting down the laptop, taking off the battery and holding down the power button for 1 min and then connecting the battery again and turning it on.

I tried removing and reinserting the RAM even though I don't really think it has anything to do with the RAM because the computer runs fine when connected to an external monitor. The Reason I decided to try removing and reinserting the RAM is because I noticed a weird behavior in DOS applications. There are many quotation marks(") displayed all over the screen and some words have wrong letters in some places. I have taken a few photos of that issue and attached them so you could see what I mean. This also shows when I am loading my bootable windows 7 disk in the screen where it asks you to press any key to boot from the disk drive.

In windows 7 I tried to install amd catalyst 15.7.1 but it resulted in my laptop not even booting into windows and going to a BSOD with an error in atikmpag.sys instead.

After formating and reinstalling windows 7 I tried disabling the display adapter in the device manager. Needless to say It didn't fix the screen.

Please help me!

Thank you.

IMG_20151229_090720.jpg
IMG_20151229_090436.jpg

Edited by LinkTree, 29 December 2015 - 10:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:44 AM

If you are not all that familiar with Linux, Arch is one of the worst choices you could go with. Entirely too complicated for a beginner, or even some one with moderate Linux experience. Best off to stick with Mint, or Ubuntu (or something similar).

Your issue with the screen sounds odd...

I would say the reason you didn't see the bios when booting Arch off the external, is because it took to long for the external screen to recognize the input. By then it was already past bios and on to the grub menu. It takes a couple seconds for LCD monitors to receive the input most of the time (it happens to me all the time, bios goes by and by the time I see anything its already on the grub menu). So I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Now as far as all the issues you are having, I am not entirely sure on them. I would (again) completely format and wipe your drive. Then install something like Mint or Ubuntu and see if it boots.

When you boot a live Linux distro you can get into it and see the GUI display correct?

If your answer to the above question is yes, then you should be able to boot an installed Linux just fine... so I would give it another go starting completely from scratch and see what happens. Again use Mint or Ubuntu.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 LinkTree

LinkTree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:34 AM

If you are not all that familiar with Linux, Arch is one of the worst choices you could go with. Entirely too complicated for a beginner, or even some one with moderate Linux experience. Best off to stick with Mint, or Ubuntu (or something similar).

Your issue with the screen sounds odd...

I would say the reason you didn't see the bios when booting Arch off the external, is because it took to long for the external screen to recognize the input. By then it was already past bios and on to the grub menu. It takes a couple seconds for LCD monitors to receive the input most of the time (it happens to me all the time, bios goes by and by the time I see anything its already on the grub menu). So I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Now as far as all the issues you are having, I am not entirely sure on them. I would (again) completely format and wipe your drive. Then install something like Mint or Ubuntu and see if it boots.

When you boot a live Linux distro you can get into it and see the GUI display correct?

If your answer to the above question is yes, then you should be able to boot an installed Linux just fine... so I would give it another go starting completely from scratch and see what happens. Again use Mint or Ubuntu.

Thank you for your suggestions. Have you ever seen anything like the images I have posted? I have never seen anything like that in my life. I can't even describe it to google to find something related.

I will try to wipe the disk again with DBAN. Hopefully these " " " are just graphical errors and won't affect the operation of the software.

There's no chance the installation of arch linux messed up with the laptop bios right? since they are stored in a different location from the OS... I installed the "grub-bios" package.

Edited by LinkTree, 29 December 2015 - 11:39 AM.

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:37 AM

Nope I have never seen that type of error in my life. Very strange indeed.

You don't necessarily need to use DBAN. Just boot up a live CD and use gparted to format the drive. Then continue on with the installation.

#5 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 04:39 PM

I have never seen anything like those blue screens ......That actually looks like some seriously corrupted program.    or even trying to run a windows program on linux or vice versa......  did you check the disc for faults ..MD5 or SHA1 type of thing

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Category:Getting_and_installing_Arch

The error you quoted  re. 

"[drm:uvd_v1_0_start] *ERROR* UVD not responding trying to reset the vcpu"

was around a while ago, with Kernel 3.13  but was corrected 

If you only installed the base system of Arch you wouldnt have any AMD /ATI drivers as such only  the free VESA drivers which may work ok for basic setting up   they don't for me..

when you say the screen didnt turn on..do you mean it did nothing or had a cursor .....

As said above  Arch isn't really a beginners Distro. it is quite easy to do but you need to work word for word from the ARCH guides....You could try Manjaro which is based off of Arch and is quite easy to install with GUI installers  and for general  use....or an Ubuntu type..

If you had your Partitions all set right for Dual booting if you did have that in mind.. you shouldnt have messed any windows instalations..

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:00 PM

If you are not all that familiar with Linux, Arch is one of the worst choices you could go with.

Ouch, DC ... quite right, but ... ouch

Again use Mint or Ubuntu.

Depends on the OP's specs, not yet known

Hi, LinkTree, and :welcome: to Linux, the hard way, lol.

We could do with knowing your specs.

If you click my avatar to see my profile and/or look at my signature below you can see what we need. In Windows, you can:

1. From the Command prompt, type
  2. inxi -C

3. and report the output you find or run the command
  4. msinfo32.exe

5. ... and the Summary page will provide you with info. If using Windows XP
  6. winmsd

... will provide identical information to msinfo32 output

When you get time, add the info to your Profile and/or a signature, then you are "Have Specs Will Travel" around the Forum.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:28 PM

If you don't have a OS to boot, boot into linuxliveDVD and post the output of:  inxi -F  Copy Paste it so you don't get it wrong.

I highly suggest to download a Linux Mint Distro.  http://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=26

I would choose this one if you have 64bit CPU:  "MATE (64-bit)"  if 32bit choose that one, download and Burn to DVD.

Also post the output of:  lspci -vvnn | grep VGA

If you can't boot normally you might need to "Tap" the "TAB" Button at the "LinuxMint Countdown Screen", then choose Compatibility Mode.  Once Booted up, Open the Menu and type "Additional Drivers" click on it, let it run, take a screenshot of what you see and post it back here.  

Don't know if this will help but it shouldn't hurt?

pcpunk out!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:54 AM

@pcpunk, @LInkTree:

My comments between those of friend Punk

If you don't have a OS to boot, boot into linuxliveDVD and post the output of:  inxi -F  Copy Paste it so you don't get it wrong.

As I understand it, inxi does not ship by default with Arch, but can be installed manually from the Repositories. If the OP wishes to persist with Arch, the following may be of assistance:

http://smxi.org/docs/inxi-installation.htm

Note however that this may involve the OP logging in as root, which he may or may not be prepared for doing. I am not sure.

I highly suggest to download a Linux Mint Distro.  http://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=26

I would choose this one if you have 64bit CPU:  "MATE (64-bit)"  if 32bit choose that one, download and Burn to DVD.

Hard to go wrong with a Minty flavour, except the Debian edition, LMDE requires a bit of learning, but no more so perhaps than that with Arch?

lspci DOES ship with Arch, output should be identical, or if not, close

If you can't boot normally you might need to "Tap" the "TAB" Button at the "LinuxMint Countdown Screen", then choose Compatibility Mode.  Once Booted up, Open the Menu and type "Additional Drivers" click on it, let it run, take a screenshot of what you see and post it back here.  

The OP has been a Member for over 12 months, and may or may not be familiar with posting screenshots, and even if so, there is a different protocol in the Linux Section, you cannot just slip in an attachment. LinkTree if you need help posting screenshots, sing out and we will advise.

pcpunk out!

Cheers

BTW LinkTree, at time of Posting you are online - if you can get us those specs, we will be in a better position to help. Also, from Windows, Piriform Speccy is a good place to visit to post specs we can read. Later.

#9 LinkTree

LinkTree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:07 AM

Firstly I'd like to thank all of your for your time and suggestions.

I have never seen anything like those blue screens ......That actually looks like some seriously corrupted program.    or even trying to run a windows program on linux or vice versa......  did you check the disc for faults ..MD5 or SHA1 type of thing

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Category:Getting_and_installing_Arch

I am currently on windows and this happens every time I insert a bootable disk or USB. I had installed several linux distros onto that USB thumbdrive using rufus and had marked "Check device for bad blocks". I didn't notice anything like that in the laptop BIOS, in windows command prompt and in windows' sudden shutdown recovery menu.  

The error you quoted  re. 

"[drm:uvd_v1_0_start] *ERROR* UVD not responding trying to reset the vcpu"

was around a while ago, with Kernel 3.13  but was corrected 

I was certain I installed the latest arch version. the one found here: https://www.archlinux.org/download/
I downloaded it using a torrent.

If you only installed the base system of Arch you wouldnt have any AMD /ATI drivers as such only  the free VESA drivers which may work ok for basic setting up   they don't for me..

when you say the screen didnt turn on..do you mean it did nothing or had a cursor .....

If it matters, I installed base + base-dev I believe.

As said above  Arch isn't really a beginners Distro. it is quite easy to do but you need to work word for word from the ARCH guides....You could try Manjaro which is based off of Arch and is quite easy to install with GUI installers  and for general  use....or an Ubuntu type..

I'll just go with Elementary/Ubuntu/Mint like I did in the past. I just wanted to try something new and saw good reviews for Arch so I decided to give it a go.

If you had your Partitions all set right for Dual booting if you did have that in mind.. you shouldnt have messed any windows instalations..

I wasn't worried about dual booting. I just wanted a single OS on that machine. I had installed and worked with Elementary/Ubuntu/Mint on that machine for a short while in the past and everything was pretty much perfect out of the box.

If you are not all that familiar with Linux, Arch is one of the worst choices you could go with.

Again use Mint or Ubuntu.

Depends on the OP's specs, not yet known

Hi, LinkTree, and :welcome: to Linux, the hard way, lol.

We could do with knowing your specs.

If you click my avatar to see my profile and/or look at my signature below you can see what we need. In Windows, you can:
  •  
  • From the Command prompt, type

• inxi -C

• and report the output you find or run the command

• msinfo32.exe

• ... and the Summary page will provide you with info. If using Windows XP

• winmsd

... will provide identical information to msinfo32 output
When you get time, add the info to your Profile and/or a signature, then you are "Have Specs Will Travel" around the Forum.

Cheers

I tried to run inxi -C but I couldn't get it to install on an ubuntu live usb I guess it's by design.

I attached an msinfo32.exe log.

http://pastebin.com/Mn4Xm5qX

pcpunk out!

I couldn't run or install inxi while in the ubuntu live USB but I did manage to log lspci into a file.

http://pastebin.com/5KR2T6Tv

Edited by LinkTree, 30 December 2015 - 01:19 AM.

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:49 AM

Now we're cooking with gas, lol.

From those specs you have the makings of a VERY LInux-friendly computer. i3 processor is fine, 8GB RAM is sweet, 500GB (465GiB) HDD, you're as good as gold.

And having used Elementary, Ubuntu, Mint - ditto, very handy. Did you make the acquaintance of GParted - the Gnome Partition Editor, with any or all of those?

IMO, rather than reinvent the wheel, you might try reclaiming the space dedicated to Arch, put on Mint or Ubuntu or both, see if there are any probs? I am less experienced with Elementary although I have tried it live.

See what you think.

BTW I am still planning on trying Arch, as i am interested in DYI, but it is not imminent, rather on my backburner.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,915 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 04:31 AM

Before giving advice make sure it wont hurt DON'T guess.

Isn't an i3 a 64 bit processor? and isnt that a 32 bit OS?

I have never seen anything like those blue screens

Me too.

Edited by NickAu, 30 December 2015 - 04:34 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#12 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 493 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 07:59 AM

The blue screens remind me of a serial port that is at the wrong baud/parity/stop bits.  Those are from the BIOS? Maybe memory timings got mucked up.  Overclocked?  All kinds of fun stuff happens when timings are off and you read 9 bits instead of 8.   What may be interesting would be to power down, pull battery, pull the harddisk, put battery back in and turn on.  The laptop may (should?) beep a few times and drop into the BIOS.  If it does, that may let you at least poke around within the BIOS to see if everything appears sane.  If it does, see if there is a "reset to default settings", see if that makes a difference.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#13 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:16 AM

Didn't mean for that to come off as harsh, my apologies if it did.

The blue screens remind me of a serial port that is at the wrong baud/parity/stop bits.  Those are from the BIOS? Maybe memory timings got mucked up.  Overclocked?  All kinds of fun stuff happens when timings are off and you read 9 bits instead of 8.   What may be interesting would be to power down, pull battery, pull the harddisk, put battery back in and turn on.  The laptop may (should?) beep a few times and drop into the BIOS.  If it does, that may let you at least poke around within the BIOS to see if everything appears sane.  If it does, see if there is a "reset to default settings", see if that makes a difference.

Good thought. Could be a bios muck up/overclocking type issues.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:39 AM

Firstly I'd like to thank all of your for your time and suggestions.

I tried to run inxi -C but I couldn't get it to install on an ubuntu live usb I guess it's by design.

That's why I like Mint! inxi is already installed along with many other things.  That is why I suggested Mint Mate to get you going.

Did you try sudo apt-get install inxi if that didn't work do this below.  Don't worry about inxi -C, all that will be included in inxi -F

This should work to use inxi via. LiveLinuxUSB:

Run each one then "Enter"

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:unit193/inxi
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install inxi

Did I read you want to install Linux in a Single Boot situation? sorry I am in a hurry, be back later.

Edited by pcpunk, 30 December 2015 - 10:49 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:42 AM

Before giving advice make sure it wont hurt DON'T guess.

That was a joke, of course that won't hurt.  Should make my humor more clear lol, there.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users