Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Foolishly Deleted External Hard Drive Letter

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 rikkidegraz

rikkidegraz

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:19 AM

I have Toshiba Satellite, in case that matters. I have drive C, D, E of course. I also have 2 external hard drives. G is for movies only. F is for backup. Anyway, yesterday I noticed that the letter F wasn't showing when I clicked on Computer. I went into Disk Management and tried to assign a letter but I saw 3 G letters. One was fine but the other two confused me. I tried to change each one but the letter F was missing. In frustration I deleted that drive. Well, now I can't get it back. What do I do? BTW, I see the two externals in Device Manager and I think I see one in MiniTool Partition but the drive in question is marked as Unallocated.

Can you help me? All my important backups are on there.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:30 AM

Check this article.

http://superuser.com/questions/651755/recover-deleted-drive

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:27 AM

Looks to to me as if you have a 3TB drive...which is recognized as the partition G:  It appears that your 931GB/1TB drive seems to have been wiped clean of any files, if any had been there, by virtue of formatting.

Had you placed any files on the 931GB/1TB drive?  That drive is currently reflected as installed and formatted with no content.

I suggest disconnecting the 931GB/1TB drive from the system...rebooting...then reconnecting it.

Louis

#4 rikkidegraz

rikkidegraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:08 AM

I did as you suggested, hamluis, but nothing happened. It's not showing up.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:18 AM

Can you assign a driver letter other than F: ?

Edit: I noticed G: is over 2TB and partitioned MBR. I am not sure how you were able to do that as MBR has a limit of 2TB. To go over that limit you need to format the drive as GPT.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 December 2015 - 11:22 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:21 AM

It shows in Disk Management.

Go to Disk Management, find the drive in the lower portion...assign a drive letter other than anyone currently being used by any other partition.  Z is a good one.

No drive will be reflected in My Computer/Explorer until a bona fide drive letter is assigned.

If the above cannot be done...I would conclude that the drive in question has a problem.  Since it's an external, the problem may lie with the drive itself...the enclosure it is installed in...or any of the connecting cables to said enclosure/drive.

Louis

#7 rikkidegraz

rikkidegraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:39 AM

Edit: I noticed G: is over 2TB and partitioned MBR. I am not sure how you were able to do that as MBR has a limit of 2TB. To go over that limit you need to format the drive as GPT.

G is 3 TB

#8 rikkidegraz

rikkidegraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:42 AM

It shows in Disk Management.

Go to Disk Management, find the drive in the lower portion...assign a drive letter other than anyone currently being used by any other partition.  Z is a good one.

No drive will be reflected in My Computer/Explorer until a bona fide drive letter is assigned.

If the above cannot be done...I would conclude that the drive in question has a problem.  Since it's an external, the problem may lie with the drive itself...the enclosure it is installed in...or any of the connecting cables to said enclosure/drive.

Louis

Everything is greyed out except Delete Volume and Help. Cable is fine. Light is on. 

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:47 AM

You never answered my question...did you have any files on that partition/drive?

If not...delete it and format the volume from Disk Management.

Louis

#10 rikkidegraz

rikkidegraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:48 AM

You never answered my question...did you have any files on that partition/drive?

If not...delete it and format the volume from Disk Management.

Louis

Oh yes. That is my backup hard drive.

#11 rikkidegraz

rikkidegraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:50 AM

Is there any way I can show you  the screen shots after having installed the AccessData?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:53 AM

G is 3 TB

Not sure how you were able to format a 3TB drive as MBR.  Since you have Minitools, run the Partition Recovery Scan and see if it detects a missing partition. Double Click the partition it finds. Do you see any files. If Quick Scan finds nothing do a Full Scan but this will take a long time on a TB drive.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/partition-recovery.html

#13 rikkidegraz

rikkidegraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:10 PM

G is 3 TB

Not sure how you were able to format a 3TB drive as MBR.  Since you have Minitools, run the Partition Recovery Scan and see if it detects a missing partition. Double Click the partition it finds. Do you see any files. If Quick Scan finds nothing do a Full Scan but this will take a long time on a TB drive.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/partition-recovery.html

Well, this is exciting. Minitools found my files. I changed the drive letter from nothing to F. However, I still can't see it in My Computer.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:14 PM

If Minitools found your files after double clicking, you need to press the finish button. Then go back to the main interface and click apply.

#15 rikkidegraz

rikkidegraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:28 PM

I want to thank one and all for helping me today. I got my drive back. I got my files back and all is right with the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users