Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bluetooth risk on mobile phone

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pyts

pyts

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:53 AM

Please advise any possible way to minimize the risk of using bluetooth on mobile phone?  Does the installation of mobile anti-security software help to resolve the issue?

Any security advice of using bluetooth on smart swatch?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:32 AM

What is your actual concern?  While Bluetooth, like any wired or wireless data transfer method, is not 100% secure it's not as though random passers-by can pair with your devices unless you have them in perpetually discoverable mode.

By its very nature Bluetooth covers only very short distances and requires both devices to have been paired.  I'm quite sure someone, somewhere has figured out a way to hack Bluetooth, but I wouldn't be particularly concerned that this is relevant to my day-to-day use of Bluetooth devices.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 pyts

pyts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:37 PM

My concern is security.  High technology provides us the platform for data transmission but at the same time it exposes us to predators.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:36 PM

That concern is so generic that it's difficult to address.  Bluetooth has a lot of similarities (plus some differences) to WiFi that uses security, that is, is not able to be connected to without a password.  Bluetooth requires pairing.  Random passers by can't just connect to your Bluetooth devices unless they're in discovery/discoverable mode, and no one leaves a device in this state except when pairing.

Anyone with enough will to hack Bluetooth could certainly do so, just like anything else.  If you're using Bluetooth in the manner it was designed to be used, for very short range connections to devices that are generally all located on your body or within a few feet of each other there's almost nothing to be concerned about.  I still don't understand what, exactly, your concern is.  Basic security, not high security, is a built-in feature of Bluetooth itself.

Finally, let me DuckDuckGo That For You, and more specifically, see what the NSA has to say, and they have a lot more to worry about than the guy/gal on the street does.

Edited by britechguy, 30 December 2015 - 11:50 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users