Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen blanking out on occasion and screen glitching/system restarts

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bonscottmc

Bonscottmc

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:48 AM

I have recently acquired a secondhand custom built PC. I ran Fire Strike because I wanted to test it out.. It was running fine for a couple minutes, but then the screen started glitching out and the computer reset itself. I've noticed that occasionally the screen will also randomly blank out for a second or two and then come back on. I'm not sure if this was happening before the Fire Strike crash, but I didn't notice it until afterward.

The PC has two Gigabyte GTX 780 TI's in SLI, and has a Coolermaster V700 80+ Gold 700 watt psu. From what I've been able gather online, this isn't enough power for SLI... And I was thinking that's why Fire Strike glitched out and crashed. As for the screen randomly blanking out at times, I first noticed it in SLI, so I thought it may also be something to do with the psu, but I've recently noticed it does it with SLI turned off too.

I'm really not sure where to go from here... Do I need someone to look at it, or can I run some sort of diagnostics or such?

PC specs -
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Giabyte G1.Sniper Z87
Intel® Core™ i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
32768MB RAM (Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR3-1600)
2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti Windforce in SLI (2x3GB)

223GB Seagate ST240FN0021 (SSD)
1863GB Seagate ST2000NC000-1CX164 (HDD)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:04 AM

I would remove one of those cards and see if it works fine. 

If you have another gpu try that.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Bonscottmc

Bonscottmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:25 AM

I've just tried Fire Strike again briefly, this time testing out both cards singularly. Only the first card seems to make the screen glitch out when running it (same one the screen was blanking out with).

The second card seems to run it without glitching the screen. As for the random blanking out of the screen, I haven't noticed that just yet. As I said it was only doing it occasionally. I'll keep using the second card for a bit and see if it happens to do it or not.

Will post back again soon.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:49 AM

From what I was able to find the majority suggest a minimum 750W at 42A PSU while in SLI.  Some suggest going with a 850W PSU.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Bonscottmc

Bonscottmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:34 AM

Yes I read up a bit about it too, and I gather it does most likely need more power to run really demanding stuff in SLI. The second card has been running fine by itself though... No blanking out of the screen or anything as of yet. Could it possibly just be a problem with the second card? Or maybe the connections or the SLI bridge??

#6 Bonscottmc

Bonscottmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:39 AM

***problem with the first card***

Sorry for the confusion.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:03 AM

Run each card separately to see if the problem occurs with only the one board.  If the two boards operate properly running separately I would be inclined to believe that the PSU is insufficient.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Bonscottmc

Bonscottmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 01:08 AM

Read my other reply, I said I tried Fire Strike with each card singularly and only the first card was making the screen glitch and go weird. The second card was and still is fine

#9 Bonscottmc

Bonscottmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:39 AM

Here's a video showing what's happening with the first card - 

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:35 AM

It looks like you have a GPU that has failed.

#11 Bonscottmc

Bonscottmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:17 AM

Really? :/ It still does work though. Games run fine.. Apart from the blinking on and off of the screen occasionally.

Heaven benchmark ran fine. Although the screen did blink on and off once.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:23 AM

I can only go by what you post.  

You posted that one of the GPUs was having a problem.  This wouldn't be a driver issue, so it would have to be the device itself.

But now you post that it is running fine.  Either it is working, or it's not.  Which is it?

#13 Bonscottmc

Bonscottmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:58 AM

Yes both cards still run games fine apart from the screen blinking on and off occasionally.. No glitching out like in the benchmarks. 

I'm just trying to work out what's causing it.. Could it just be something to do with the 3D Mark benchmarks if games and other benchmarks run ok? 

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:08 AM

I did some looking around and it seems that most people suggest a 800W to 850W PSU when running these cards in SLI.  What I find curious is that I didn't see any current figures for the 12V rail.

I suspect that if you run a single card you will find that this problem doesn't occur.

Edited by dc3, 08 January 2016 - 10:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users