Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I may have a Virus - Can I rollback Win 10 and re-install?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tomx2x

tomx2x

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:00 AM

Hi.

It appears I may have a virus in my laptop, cannot launch File Explorer, Control Panel and One Drive.

But I can launch Settings, and everything else in Win10. Ran Malwarebytes but it didn't detect any errors.

Question:

Can I rollback Win10 to my previous version (8.1) and then re install Windows 10.

Will Microsoft allow a second install of Windows 10 from the same user?

I found this link to perform the rollback.

https://techingiteasy.wordpress.com/2015/03/24/how-to-rollback-to-a-previous-version-of-windows-from-windows-10/

Tom.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:16 AM

Instead of rolling back, why don't you try a refresh of your Windows 10 installation? It will reinstall Windows without destroying your data, although you will have to reinstall programs after refresh.

A step-by-step guide on how to refresh Windows 10 can be found here.

#3 tomx2x

tomx2x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:49 AM

Hi Sintharius.

The refresh windows 10 option would be ideal for me, however I do not have a good backup copy of windows 10.

Step 6 will prompt me for a recovery disk.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Tom.

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:55 AM

What error do you get (if any) when you try to launch the three items above?

It is possible to create an installation disk for refreshing Windows 10 without using File Explorer. However we will try something else first.

Open an elevated Command Prompt using instructions here, type in sfc /scannow and press Enter. Let me know if it found anything and if it was able to repair them or not.

#5 tomx2x

tomx2x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 04:26 AM

Hi Sintharius.

When I try to launch File Explorer, Control Panel or One Drive, I get the launch icon (hour glass & Arrow). the screen blinks then disappears for a half a second and returns. No messages. Are there any on-line or command line freeware virus scans I could run(not requiring a download).

I ran sfc /scannow and no errors detected.

Now I do have another laptop (Dell latitude) that has a good working windows 10. My bad laptop is my Dell XPS 13.

Question - If I backed up my Dell Latitude on a external HARD drive, could I restore it on the XPS 13 using the external drive as input. Run the instructions Refresh Windows 10 (you posted)?

I believe it's possible (today) when I went into a watch free NBA site online, the virus was attached. 

However I have been lurking on this NBA site for 2 years when I was using Win 8.1 w/o any problems.

Tom. 

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 04:30 AM

If you have another working laptop with Windows 10, then you can use it to create a recovery drive and refresh your broken Windows 10 installation - just be sure that they have the same architecture (must be both 32-bit or 64-bit).

#7 tomx2x

tomx2x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 04:48 AM

Sintharius.

Ok, so just to be clear.

1. I will do a full backup of my Dell Latitude to an external disk.

2. Attach the external disk to my XPS 13 laptop.

3. Run the steps Refresh Windows 10 stated above.

I usually run software Reflect to backup my drives. I normally perform a full Image Backup. Is that ok?

Do you suggest another freeware backup utility.

Tom.

#8 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:02 AM

Hi there,

What I meant is that you can create a Recovery Drive using these instructions and refresh the broken Windows 10 installation.

What you described in the first two steps is a system image, which is very different and cannot be used to refresh Windows 10.

#9 tomx2x

tomx2x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:57 AM

Hey Sintharius.

Your a Genius!!!!

Got my computer back minus the malware.

Did what you said:

Created a recovery Drive  > Refresh Windows 10.

What i did loose:  My Browsers(Chrome and Firefox), Applications(Advast, Reflect, Motoboro and a few others).

Defender sent me a notification "Removing some Malware"

Cost Me: $23.00 for new 16GB Flash Drive and 7 hours of sleep time.

No more free online NBA games  for me.

Thanks.

Tom.

#10 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:12 AM

Please be careful downloading freeware next time, and stay away from pirated software :)

#11 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,000 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:53 AM

I don't know when that "Step-by-Step Guide" on tenforums was created, on on what, but it doesn't look like anything I've ever seen on Windows 10 and I've already done installs from DVDs created by the Media Creation Tool and used the Reset procedure I outline just below.

If you are able to get Windows 10 to boot and can get to the Update & Security Settings, Recovery Pane, there is a "Reset this PC" button right there and all you need to do is press it.  It will then go through the steps of asking you whether you want to keep your user files or do a full reset.

If you really have a virus you really should do a full system scan with your antivirus and Malwarebytes either before resorting to a reset or afterward if you do one.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#12 tomx2x

tomx2x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:22 PM

Hi Brian.

I'm not very technical in computers, so please bear with me.

In my first post, I did mention running Malwarebytes, receiving no errors. I also ran Advast. Another virus scan Microsoft Safety Scanner, I tried running off a flash drive, but couldn't due to the Malware infecting my hard drive.

My only other option prior to communicating with Sintharius, was performing full Rollback of my system back to Win 8.1(see link in my first post). Sintharius suggested I can avoid a full rollback by performing 2 steps. Extract Windows 10 files from my Dell Latitude (using recovery drive) then refresh-10 my XPS 13 laptop with these good win10 files. That was basically it.

To answer your question, I could access my settings button. That option did not get infected.

Is the process you are stating in“Update & Security Settings Recovery”, essentially will perform the exact install of win10 files using recovery drive flash drive except you have an additional option doing a full rollback.

Tom.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,000 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:27 PM

Tom,

A Reset installation, whether or not you keep your user files, is described as a full replacement of the existing instance of Windows 10 by a fresh one.  I have nothing more to go on than the way that Microsoft has characterized a Reset.  I cannot say what it will or will not do in regard to what's on your recovery drive.  I thought the initial upgrade process from earlier versions of Windows to Windows 10 supplanted what was on the recovery drive with the equivalent for Windows 10 if a recovery drive was set up, but I could be mistaken.  A Reset installation requires no external media, but does require an internet connection, and the fresh latest copy of Windows 10 is downloaded directly from Microsoft.   Once a system has had a legitimate version of Windows 10 installed and activated full reinstallations or resets can be done at will.

I would definitely try that first, but I must say I find it most peculiar that you can't run any of the usual disinfection tools.  If you would prefer to avoid a Reset I would suggest you start a dedicated thread in the "Am I infected?  What Should I Do?" forum.  If there's really nothing to lose (as in you haven't spent weeks customizing, etc.) then I'd just do a Reset.   If that doesn't resolve the issue then I'd create installation media for Window 10 using the Media Creation Tool that's appropriate for your system and do a completely fresh install, from scratch.

At this point there is absolutely no reason to take a system image of an infected system.  I suggest that anyone considering an upgrade from an earlier version of Windows to Windows 10 take a full system image backup, and separate user data backup, of their system before ever initiating an upgrade.   That way if the upgrade catastrophically fails they still have the mechanisms needed to recover their prior system.  If you did not do this with your old Windows 8.1 system it is too late to do it now.  Once you have a version of Windows 10 that is functioning to your liking and you've done at least your minimal set of personalizations I would take a full system image of that as well so you have a recovery baseline should you need it.   On an ongoing basis you should take occasional system images whenever you've done enough work on your system (e.g., installing a number of apps and programs, tweaking a huge number of system settings, etc.) that "you'd cry and tear your hair out" were you forced to do them all again by hand.

Edited by britechguy, 29 December 2015 - 01:36 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users