Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battery Stops Charging When I Run A Game

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ryknoxasaurus

ryknoxasaurus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:18 PM

Title. This issue has been around for a while; it's a relatively new laptop (bought in August), but it has happened for as long as I can remember. Pretty much, when the laptop is running a game, mostly client games (such as MKX, Gmod, etc.) the charge will flicker and I feel this is a reason for graphics card not working (but thats another issue). Whenever I close out of the game, the battery instantly begins charging again. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:24 PM

lets say your computer is not using all power while not playing games but when you start playing the power demand gets higher and so the battery stops charging and the game grabs power from the cable

heres one tip

whenever youre in home and not leaving charge your battery to 100% then turn off your laptop and remove the battery then plug the charger back into the batteryless laptop and turn it on

this will improve your battery life and whenever you have to go you'll have your battery charged 2 go

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#3 ryknoxasaurus

ryknoxasaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:26 PM

But should this problem be happening even when the computer is fairly new? This issue has only been happening since around the time I got windows 10.

#4 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:31 PM

yes, i think you should follow the tip i told you,

i got an old laptop whenever i play with it the laptop goes potatoes and says screw it then comes the bsod, thats a real problem but yours isnt so yes its normal and dont be disapointed at it (my prob is worse xD) hope helped you cya

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:05 PM

The laptop shouldn't be doing that on wall power. It sounds like a power adapter that is not putting out the power that it's supposed to. Try turning the display brightness down one notch.

#6 ryknoxasaurus

ryknoxasaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:08 PM

Nope doesn't work. It is still not working.

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:10 PM

What does it do with the battery removed?

#8 ryknoxasaurus

ryknoxasaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:58 PM

Plays the game normally, brightness lowered. The quality of the game decreases a lot as well which is why I thought that the graphics card doesn't work when running without being plugged in. But I tried messing with the settings in NVIDIA Control Panel and Power Options but nothing seems to be working. I think the root of the main problem is that it doesn't charge when running a game.

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:26 AM

The laptop will naturally go into a low powered state on battery power. That is partially controlled by the bios speedstep. The cpu may clock down to half it's speed. Usually setting the power profile in windows to performance will override that and cause the cpu to run full power all the time even on battery. Of course the battery will discharge faster. It not charging the battery during game play makes sense. You're simply using more power. Check with the vendor of the laptop, they may offer a more wattage power adapter. Same with batteries. A 5500mah battery will last longer than a 4800mah.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users