Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 stuck on bootloop (Preparing automatic repairs)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RohanShah

RohanShah

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:32 PM

I recently upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10. Everything was working and now I am stuck in a bootloop. Every time I start my computer it goes to start repairs/recovery options. I have tried taking out hdd and memory sticks and reinserting them. I have using chkdsk (I encountered an error). I have tried system restores, reset this pc, and go to previous build. (all three failed) Any and all help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:26 PM

Start with these free, bootable diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

If all of those pass, then you'll have to try reinstalling W10.

This will wipe out ALL of your data.

You can start by creating the Media Creation Tool here:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Do you need to recover data before doing this?

If so, we can provide suggestions on how to do it.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 RohanShah

RohanShah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:47 PM

Start with these free, bootable diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

If all of those pass, then you'll have to try reinstalling W10.

This will wipe out ALL of your data.

You can start by creating the Media Creation Tool here:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Do you need to recover data before doing this?

If so, we can provide suggestions on how to do it.

It seems our only option is reinstalling windows. I did create the Windows 10 USB using media creation tool. It seems all methods have failed except so far. The only one left for me is clean install. However, I would like to back up my data. Could you please provide the steps for it. Thanks.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 07:53 AM

There are basically 2 ways to recover data if the hard drive isn't damaged:

- slaving the hard drive to another computer and using that computer to copy the data.

- using a bootable, Live OS and external media (such as a flash drive or USB external hard drive) to copy the data to.

Slaving the hard drive requires taking the drive out of the system and then connecting it to the other computer.

This is most often done using a drive "caddy" that connects the drive to a device that plugs into your USB port(s)

Using a bootable Live OS first requires the ability to work in that OS.

Mostly you'll have to be able to copy things from the internal hard drive to the external one.  In addition to the bootable Live OS, you'll also need a flash drive or  external hard drive to copy the files to.

If unable to do that, you can also image the hard drive with a program such as Acronis True Image (this is pay-for software - about $50 US)

Then you'd use the Acroinis Image Explorer to copy the data from the image.

Finally, the easiest thing to copy is the "Users" folder.  You'll get extra stuff that you don't need - but it'll have most everything that you have saved.

Make sure that you set the system to view hidden and system files.

Please post back for any clarification you may need.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 RohanShah

RohanShah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:28 PM

There are basically 2 ways to recover data if the hard drive isn't damaged:

- slaving the hard drive to another computer and using that computer to copy the data.

- using a bootable, Live OS and external media (such as a flash drive or USB external hard drive) to copy the data to.

Slaving the hard drive requires taking the drive out of the system and then connecting it to the other computer.

This is most often done using a drive "caddy" that connects the drive to a device that plugs into your USB port(s)

Using a bootable Live OS first requires the ability to work in that OS.

Mostly you'll have to be able to copy things from the internal hard drive to the external one.  In addition to the bootable Live OS, you'll also need a flash drive or  external hard drive to copy the files to.

If unable to do that, you can also image the hard drive with a program such as Acronis True Image (this is pay-for software - about $50 US)

Then you'd use the Acroinis Image Explorer to copy the data from the image.

Finally, the easiest thing to copy is the "Users" folder.  You'll get extra stuff that you don't need - but it'll have most everything that you have saved.

Make sure that you set the system to view hidden and system files.

Please post back for any clarification you may need.

I have backed up my data and tried doing a clean install for with the win 10 media creation tool and it fails. I have tried using one key recovery feature and it fails too. The computer is lenovo y560. any suggestions? 

#6 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:33 PM

Have you tested the hard drive? That would be the logical first step. If it is faulty, a reinstall is a massive waste of time, even if it succeeded.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:59 AM

Here's a link for hard drive diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users