Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XFX Radeon HD 7850 not performing as expected

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WaltC

WaltC

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:03 PM

I have a Dell Precision T5400 with 2 Xeon E5410 CPUs, 12 GB of RAM running Windows 7 64-bit. It has an XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB video card. I'm not into gaming or benchmarking but out of curiosity I ran Cinebench R12 just to see. It ran at about 47 FPS. I noticed in the list that the HD 5770 runs at 57 FPS. According to Passmark the 5770 benchmarks at about 1700 but the 7850 benchmarks at about 3800. The computer has PCI Express 2.0 slots and the card is 3.0 but I've read that  that shouldn't make a huge difference. What might be causing this? Speccy text file attached. Thanks.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WaltC

WaltC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:21 PM

I just ran it again and monitored with Afterburner. GPU usage was only in the 40% range.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:27 PM

Keep in mind cinebench also runs CPU tests, so if the other person has a stronger CPU the CPU portion is going to rate higher. Also keep in mind, that even though the graphics card does a bulk of the graphics processing, the CPU(s) do still have a hand in it so stronger CPUs will still give you a faster frame rate.

Also, I'm not totally familiar with cinebench, I may have to play with it, but it may not have been designed to work on a dual processor system, as those are mainly designed for servers and the like, so it may not be fully utilizing your system.

All just possibilities. May not hurt to download the free version of 3Dmark and see how it handles that.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 WaltC

WaltC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:05 PM

That's a good point, I didn't think about it not supporting multiple processors. I re-ran it and monitored the task manager performance tab. One core ran at about 70%, the others a lot less but usage would jump around from core to core. I'll download 3Dmark and see what it says. Thanks for the reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users