Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BitDefender Error Pop up even though I don't appear to have BitDefender installe

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 sannesley

sannesley

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:46 PM

Hi,

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium. Recently every time I start up the PC I get a pop up Windows error message telling me "A problem has occurred with BitDefender Threat Scanner and a dump file has been generated and saved in Windows TEMP folder"

When I check the folder there is a .dmp file for every occurrence of the error message. Now I have searched my PC for any instance of BitDefender and cannot find any. I do not remember downloading or installing any such program. 

I am running Norton Internet Security for Antivirus. Other than the error message the computer seems to be functioning as normal. 

Any help on how to remove this would be appreciated.

Attached Files

Edited by Queen-Evie, 28 December 2015 - 07:21 PM.
moved from Malware Removal Logs

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hena

hena

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:22 PM

Send this to someone who knows about this stuff

(mods, bitdefender people) along with the .dmp file.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:01 PM

Hopefully "someone who knows about this stuff" will see the post.
Not a good idea to tell a person to send it to the mods (or anyone else) because the one it is sent to may not have a clue how to help.

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:29 PM

Hi there,

Please run this to search for any trace of BitDefender on your system.

SystemLook by jpshortstuff

Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.

32-bit version

64-bit version
  • Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:
    BitDefender
  • Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt.

Also, any chance you can upload the dump file in the described location to a file sharing service like Dropbox? I can ask a friend that specializes in BSoDs to take a look at it.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,388 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:11 AM

There have been quite a few reports of this error at the Bitdefender forums....see these search results.

Bitdefender even has a support article to fix the error.

Bitdefender could have previously been installed but never properly or completely removed.

Further, many anti-virus solutions combine the Bitdefender engine with their own technology. Emsisoft uses the Bitdefender anti-virus engine (on-demand file detection) including file-based signatures in their threat database as well as heuristics. F-Secure, SurfRight (HitmanPro), BullGuard, G DATA and several other security vendors all use the Bitdender engine.The instructions provided by Sintharius should identify if anything related to Bitdefender is on your system.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Torchwood

Torchwood

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:19 AM

Spybot search and destroy uses Bitdefender technology.

That temp file is created by it.

Roy,

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,388 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:22 AM

Yes some of the users reported the error was triggered by Spybot Search and Destroy 2 after upgrading from v1.6.But since there is a support article with a fix, it appears to suggest the error has more than one possible cause.

#8 sannesley

sannesley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:48 AM

I would if I knew where to send it to. I checked out the BitDefender website and can see no way to send it to them and personally I think it would be a waste of time from reading other websites about this error.

After posting  my original query I uninstalled Adaware from my PC and it seems to have stopped the error popping up, but I will continue to monitor to see if the fix works. This would tie in with your post quietman7 about the technology being used in other programs. It would seem that Adaware might be one such program.

#9 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:50 AM

Ad-Aware is one of the AVs known to use BitDefender technology, so your suspicion is correct.

However I think this is a problem from Ad-Aware, as I use another AV utilizing BitDefender technology and have no such problem.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,388 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:07 AM

I use Emsisoft Anti-Malware which combines its technology with Bitdefender Anti-Virus and never experienced such an error so I have to agree with Sintharius...the error was most likely related to something with Ad-Aware.

BTW, mvps.org and many security experts are no longer recommending Ad-Aware (or Spybot S&D) due to poor testing results and ineffectiveness against current malware threats.

Read Lavasoft Turning to the Dark Side? written by a former volunteer (now a MVP) who provided support for Ad-Aware but no longer uses the program.

Ad-Aware...have gone into a downhill spiral over the past five years and recently sold the company to Solaria... Majorgeeks stopped listing Ad-Aware as a “pick” some years ago as we watched the quality of the company slip over the years...it can’t stand up to the new generation of anti-spyware applications...

What does the future hold for Ad-Aware?
Lavasoft Controversies

Also read Security companies Lavasoft and Comodo have been found using the SSL slurping certificate similar to Lenovo-Superfish.

#11 sannesley

sannesley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:27 AM

Good to know. In terms of anti spy-ware or malware software what do you reccomend currently?

I use Emsisoft Anti-Malware which combines its technology with Bitdefender Anti-Virus and never experienced such an error so I have to agree with Sintharius...the error was most likely related to something with Ad-Aware.

BTW, mvps.org and many security experts are no longer recommending Ad-Aware (or Spybot S&D) due to poor testing results and ineffectiveness against current malware threats.

Read Lavasoft Turning to the Dark Side? written by a former volunteer (now a MVP) who provided support for Ad-Aware but no longer uses the program.

Ad-Aware...have gone into a downhill spiral over the past five years and recently sold the company to Solaria... Majorgeeks stopped listing Ad-Aware as a “pick” some years ago as we watched the quality of the company slip over the years...it can’t stand up to the new generation of anti-spyware applications...

What does the future hold for Ad-Aware?
Lavasoft Controversies

Also read Security companies Lavasoft and Comodo have been found using the SSL slurping certificate similar to Lenovo-Superfish.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,388 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:39 AM

I generally recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as the backbone to supplementing your anti-virus software. Although if you use Emsisoft, it is not necessary to use a separate antivirus solution since EAM combines its technology with Bitdefender's Anti-Virus engine. See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why.

I also recommend using the following:

#13 BeauWood

BeauWood

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:01 PM

Having this problem now dont know what to do.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,388 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:50 PM

Did you follow Sintharius's instructions in Post #4 above?

Are you using Bitdefender? If not, what other security products are installed?

As already noted, many anti-virus solutions combine the Bitdefender engine with their own technology. Emsisoft uses the Bitdefender anti-virus engine (on-demand file detection) including file-based signatures in their threat database as well as heuristics. F-Secure, SurfRight (HitmanPro), BullGuard, G DATA and several other security vendors all use the Bitdender engine.

#15 jgrunwald

jgrunwald

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:16 PM

Hi, my name is Jeff and I am trying to help mom (remotely) with the same issue.  When powering up the pc, the "Bitdefender Threat Scanner" error dialog pops up in the center of the screen, covering the password field.  The error dialog cannot be moved or closed and therefore cannot log into computer.

Mom is running Windows 10, using "Mediacom" as the ISP and "Total Defense" AV, which uses the Bitdefender engine.

Any idea how to get around the error dialog so she can log into her computer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users