Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows log in DOMAIN\

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 withavision

withavision

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:14 PM

The place my mom used to work closed and they gave her a computer.  However, a log in is required and she does not know her password, and I am assuming even if she did, it would not work.  The username is DOMAIN\her name

I am guessing that is to log into a server or something.... which won't work because the place shut down.

Is there a way to not have to log into this "domain", or create a new user and password, or turn log in off?

I cannot access or get to anything on the PC except the log in screen...

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:30 PM

Hi withavision,

When requesting assistance to resolve a problem it is very helpful to give as much info as possible about the machine in question, ie, make, model, etc. This will enable members to offer solutions.

Regards...................

#3 withavision

withavision
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:01 PM

it is a Lenovo Thinkcentre M82 desktop

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:33 AM

When a system requiring a login...changes ownership...the new owner is expected to install her/his own version of any O/S...since the one currently on the system when ownership changed...will not be accessible by the new owner.

The new install will remove all problems/situations associated with the former owner.

If you want to use Win 7, someone needs to purchase and install a legal copy of Win 7 for this system.

Louis

#5 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:40 PM

You would probably be best served by erasing the current content and reinstalling a clean version of windows.

You most likely have a license for this - either being a windows 7 sticker located on the box itself or if it has a window 8 sticker on it the license is programmed into bios.

If you do not have installation media you could most like order recovery disks from lenovo (1-800-426-7378).

You could also erase the admin password using something such as the "Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor" and try to make this as much as a normal machine as possible but that would be a harder route in my opinion. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users