Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To Install My New Printer ..oh No

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mypenry

mypenry

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:44 PM

I am trying to install my brand new printer .. ( canon PIXMA iP 4200 ) and each time half way throuhg the installation process a window pops up saying this...

The File usbprint.sys on Windows XP professional Service Pack 2 is needed...

This new computer came with every thing loaded ( inc service pack 2 ) so I dont have a service pack disk 2..?

ive Googled every thing and can only find web sites which want me to pay for downloading this file..?
ive checked the computer and it does seem that this file is missing ... re this comment from a web site.....

Description: File usbprint.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers. The file size on Windows XP is 25856 bytes.
The driver can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. The program has no visible window. It is a trustworthy file from Microsoft. The service has no detailed description. The program is not active. usbprint.sys seems to be a compressed file. Therefore the technical security rating is 0% dangerous.

ive checked in the services control panel but cannot see it..? along with the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers .. and still cannot see usbprint.sys ..?

has any one please an idea what i can do next ....Thanks ...... Mypenry

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 26 July 2006 - 01:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:42 PM

I take it you already have Windows XP Professional? If so, you are able to download Service Pack 2 directly from the windows update website.

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/R1150/V31site/default.htm

You can also access it through the Start Menu - got to START > HELP & SUPPORT and then when the Help & Support window comes up, there should be a link on the right hand side with a link to 'windows update'.

I cannot give you a specific link because I am running Windows NT and I am in Australia!
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 mypenry

mypenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:28 AM

Thanks JPHarvey for your reply, well I tried to download the Windows XP professional sarvice pack 2, but MS scanned my machine and said I did not want to download this service pack as It was already installed on my new machine !!, I then went to Windows update, but no luck only a download for net. some thing..?
I then managed to find the File usbprint.sys on a download site , and I downloaded and installed it, So again I tried to download the driver for the printer from a canon USA web site, it downloaded OK but half way through it installing the driver the same window came onto the screen...
The File usbprint.sys on Windows XP professional Service Pack 2 is needed.... I then tried using the setup CD that came with the new printer ( the CD is in Thai ) this is why I first tried a download from an English Canon web site ( I cannot read Thai ) again half way through the set up the same message came on screen..? .... The File usbprint.sys on Windows XP professional Service Pack 2 is needed.
I then went to Control Panel > printers & fax and there was my new printer shown, I clicked prorerties for the printer and it showed that the printer was connected to USB Local port and showed Canon iP 4200 printer
next I went to device Manager and under Universal Serial Bus Controllers , showing a USB sign was my new printer , but next to the USB sign is a Yellow ( ! ) mark..? and its said .... Device Type - Universal serial Bus Controller
Manfactor - Unknown
Location - 0 ( iP4200 )
This device is not configured correctly
( Code 1 )
to reinstall the driver for this Device click reinstall Driver.

Which is what I did, next the hardware update wizard box came onto the screen, and asked if Windows can connect Windows update
to search for software. , I clicked yes, this time, Next it asked if you have had an installation CD or floppy disk if so insert now , which I did
inserting the Thai Installation CD that came with the printer.
I clicked install software automatically ...and then a sign at the top of the wizard said..Please wait while the Wizard searches...
well I waited and again the sign came on the screen ...The File usbprint.sys on Windows XP professional Service Pack 2 is needed.
there was a browse box and it said locate files from ...C:/ i386 when I clicked OK nothing happned.

So i am am still back at start....The File usbprint.sys on Windows XP professional Service Pack 2 is needed.
may be ive missed some thing along the way..? being a NEWBIE in the computer world..?
I also tried a second USB cable just in case , but still the same problem.
any Ideas what's going on would be very helpfull... its driving ( no pun !! ) me mad here's my new printer sitting there just smiling at me
thinking its got the better of this newbie !! and to take the printer back to the shop , as I live in a small jungle village
would be a slight problem .!!

update .........................just run the Wizard again and now its come up with this ......Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.
But I KNOW the printer is still connected to the computer via a USB cable ...? now what

Thanks .... Mypenry

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:37 AM

Usually you do not plug in a USB printer until prompted to. You should start to install the software/drivers from the disk and at some point in the installation you will be prompted to connect the printer. It must be done in this order. Many printer installations fail because folks plug in the printer via USB and then start to install software. Is this true in your case?

You will need to uninstall all software and start over if this is true in your case.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 mypenry

mypenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:22 AM

Hi Albert ... Thanks again ,

I will uinstall every thing and follow your advice, and post the results

Mypenry .....

#6 mypenry

mypenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 03:28 AM

Thanks to all info the info... and ive followed it, .... this is my current situation I did try and download Service Pack 2 directly from the windows update website.
but it would not let me as it said ...you have already have installed Service Pack 2 on your computer !!

So I started all over again and un installed every thing from original Canon ( Thai ) CD that came with the printer, and

i managed to download the Windows XP Driver From a Canon web site and installed it and the printer is now shown on the printer & faxes page control panel section , when I click file > server properities on this page and then click Drivers> under installed printer drivers it shows this ...

Name ...Canon
Enviroment... Intel
Version Windows 2000 or XP

then I click > Properties....and the box say's this.....

Name ....... Canon Ip4200
Version Windows 2000 or XP
Envirement .. Intel
Language monitor ... Canon BJ Language Monitor Ip 4200
Default data path ...RAW
Driver path ... C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3

then I underlined in the box Driver file and clicked ...Properties and a box came onto the screen saying

CNMDR78.DLL Properitesat the top,
type of file Application Extension
Opens with ..unknown
Location C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3
Size ...388 KB (397,312 bytes)
Size on disk ..416 KB (425,984 bytes)
Attributes ticked ..... Archive

I then tried to print some thing and a small logo of a printer appears on the bottom tool bar, for a short time it ( in a flash ) then
dissapears ..? and no printing is done.

I then had a look at the Device manager , and under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers
it shows my printer ... but next to its USB connection logo is shown a Yellow ( ! ) mark
then I clicked this yellow mark and then clicked properties...which showed this

General

Ip4200

Device type ...Universal Serial Bus Controller
Manfuature ..... Unknown
Location .........0 ( iP4200 )

and it says this .....

This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click ........ Reinstall Driver .( which I did not do as I already had seen the Drivers were installed when looking at the Printer & Faxes control panel )

when I click on the Driver tab at the top of the box, it says this...

Driver Provider .... Unknown
Driver date ..........Not Available
Driver Version .....Not Available
Digital Signer ...... Not Digitally Signed

So just looking at the printer & faxes in the control panel info which shows that infact a Driver has been installed for my printer, but looking at the
Universal Serial Bus Controllers section and the yellow ( ! ) it shows no Drivers..? .....with the little I know about computers, could it be that the computer for some reason cannot connect throuht the USB lead ..?although saying that ive heard the printer some times when I click some thing make a sort of rolling noise ..?

I just don't know what to try next ...? ( it s seems here its easyer to catch a cobra than get a printer to work !! )

Thanks in hope ............. Mypenry

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 07:24 AM

it said ...you have already have installed Service Pack 2 on your computer !!

To see if you have SP2 on your computer, simply go to: Start > right click on My Computer > Properties

but next to its USB connection logo is shown a Yellow ( ! ) mark
This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)

This is important. This shows us the crux of the problem. According to Microsoft, for a Code 1 issue the cure is: Update the driver(s) by clicking Update Driver. This starts the Hardware Update wizard. If updating the driver does not work, see your hardware documentation for more information.

Also, you can all the information available on your printer, including drivers and installation instructions etc at this URL:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...p;modelid=11641

Are you able to call Canon from where you are to request support for this issue?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 08:47 AM

Unplug the printer from the USB port
Delete the USB port/hub that has the yellow warning icon
Reboot and Windows will reinstall it.

#9 mypenry

mypenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:57 AM

A very BIG Thanks to you all for your comments and advice

well I spent a day trying different things but no luck, then by chance I saw some one sitting in out local
wat ( temple ) looking at a lap top, he spoke English and I ran through my problems with him, and by chance ( I could not beleive ) he had a Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD ,

So I borrowed it and reinsatlled it, then installed the printer Driver Etc and now every thing works just fine ( fingers crossed ) I did a test print several times and all OK

So again many thanks to you Guy's for your time and help

................ Mypenry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users