Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Semi-random Win7 Freezes, mostly during gaming... perhaps de-clocking?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 twistyxo

twistyxo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:50 PM

I bought a custom PC from a trusted guy on an old message board about a year and a half ago. Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge @ 3.4Ghz (Overclocked to 4.6Ghz) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor CPU

Cooler: CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Mobo: ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

On-Board Audio

On-Board LAN

Video Card: MSI N580GTX Lightning GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 Video Card

Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz Memory

Hard Drive: 240GB SATA III 6.0GB/s Internal Solid State Drive

Optical: 24x DVD-RW Burner

Power Supply: 650W 80 Plus ATX Power Supply

Case: LIAN LI Lancool First Knight Series PC-K57W ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

It was serving me just fine for a while, and then about a year ago I started playing Fallout 3 and noticed that my whole system would just freeze mid-game. No BSOD, not ctrl+alt+delete functionality, just a total lock up and I'd have to manually power down. I thought it was a Fallout 3 issue so I applied some freeze fixes to no avail. The freezing would happen anywhere from 5-60 minutes in, but generally at some point within an hour in a given session it was likely to happen. Eventually I abandoned my play through.

Recently I've gotten into CSGO and the same thing happens, at some point the whole PC freezes. This has become annoying because I'm trying to get into competitive play and abandoning matches has a real bad effect on ranking up. Lastly, I tried playing Dota with my friend a few days ago and I froze 30 min in. So it's truly not game specific.

To make matters worse/more complicated, even though it's far more likely to happen in-game, the freezes happen during casual computing, too. In fact, they tend to happen out-of-game after my PC has been on for a long time (maybe 2+ hours), but sometimes during nothing more than Chrome browsing. Same total lock up kind of freeze.

Now, I was corresponding with the guy who built the PC about this issue when it first happened about a year ago and he wasn't very helpful. His theory was that maybe I need to de-clock, which I'm fine to do (CSGO nor anything else I'm doing requires 4.6 GHz), but I don't know how to do that. Other people have here and there offered it might be a overheating issue, but I'm disinclined. I don't know how to truly decipher all the info, but I've attached a SS from CoreTemp while running CSGO and it appears to be fine, no? Lastly, I thought perhaps it could be related to graphics card drivers? Perhaps I should uninstall them and reinstall them (is this possible), but again, it happens when I'm just casually computing as well.

CoreTemp SS: https://imgur.com/m7XSAgc

Thoughts? Help? Love?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 softwaremaniac

softwaremaniac

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:06 PM

These temperatures are not normal. My i7 is OC-ed and it doesn't surpass 60 degrees Celsius on load. Is the PC clean of dust. Please reset your BIOS settings that should reset the OC back to zero, but it looks like that something is seriously wrong. Because it is impossible that you would be having such high temps with a water-cooled system.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:14 PM

This certainly sounds like video to me - but beyond that, let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please provide this information (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please try these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Start with the video stress tests.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users