Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive has gone Invisible!!!!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Slime58

Slime58

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:35 PM

Hi all.

My son has dropped his Western Digital external hard drive and now his PC can't see it.

I have it now and, when plugged in, the light flashes to say it's on.

When first plugged in my PC automatically downloaded the relevant software, meaning that my machine recognised it.

When I go to 'My Computer' it doesn't show up and yet, when I click on 'Safely Remove Hardware' it shows up, again I'm thinking my machine knows it's there.

I've also noticed a clicking sound coming from the HDD.

Is it toast or is there a way of accessing it?

Many thanks.

Slime58.

Oh, can it be opened up so I could look inside ....................... there don't appear to be any screws.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:47 PM

Clicking from a hard drive is never good. Dropping the hard drive most likely damaged the head mechanism, especially if it was on at the time. Most WD drives, especially the portable ones, have the USB bridge card as part of the drives PCB so there is no way the drive can be attached to another computer.

Depending on how critical the data is, the only way to pull data would be to use a professional data recovery service and they are expensive.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:52 PM

SlimE58, there is one last long-long shot, Stellar and R-Studio both sing their songs about being able to work with less than ideal hard-drives.  I have not used either one of them that way, yet.  so I cannot walk you through them.  If you know a tech-peson within a business-oriented computer store who has done similiar data recovery before, you just might, possibly, maybe get your data back.  Be prepared to tell that person the important folders, hard-drive areas to begin the search for, best educated guesses.  However, because one does not know how many functional spin-hours remain, it has to be your call:  local attempt with Stellar or R-Studio OR send HD off to a professional data recovery place.  Either way, there's no guarantee.

Edited by RolandJS, 28 December 2015 - 03:54 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users