Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

best "second opinion" antimalware for the start of 2016

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Fardooste

Fardooste

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:49 AM

1. I see Zemana has more downloads than mbam in bleepingcomputer's downloads. Is this now the "king" product, or does quantity downloads not equal quality?

2. Webroot claims its product is so complete you don't need mbam or similar. Is this true or is it just marketing? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:49 PM

Just like with anti-virus programs...there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best second opinion anti-malware scanner to supplement your existing security protection. Every vendor's lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware free, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, herdProtect Anti-Malware Scanner and HitmanPro are all good.

See the List of Free Scan & Disinfection Tools which can be used to supplement your anti-virus and anti-spyware in these topics:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:10 AM

1. I see Zemana has more downloads than mbam in bleepingcomputer's downloads. Is this now the "king" product, or does quantity downloads not equal quality?

No idea of where you saw that.
8tn3UvM.png
ElwqEiM.png
Are you sure that you saw that on BleepingComputer? If so, where if I may ask?

2. Webroot claims its product is so complete you don't need mbam or similar. Is this true or is it just marketing?

Also last time I checked Webroot, they were advertising it as a product that can be installed even if you already have another Antivirus installed. Products can claim anything they want, it doesn't mean that it's true.

Edited by Aura, 31 December 2015 - 09:11 AM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:45 AM

1- just a matter of taste, i prefer MBAM than Zemana 

2- like every products they dont need others (unless specified) , webroot was design to be both a main AV or a Companion AV (complementing the main one in this case); when use as companion, Webroot will let the priority to the main AV and kicks-in only if the main misses something.

Emsisoft Community Manager

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:27 AM

Like Webroot, Emsisoft products were originally designed to compliment antivirus and firewall software and currently they are still compatible with most of them. However, that compatibility prevents Emsisoft from implementing additional features so they have decided to move away from that compatibility model.

#6 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:50 AM

Like Webroot, Emsisoft products were originally designed to compliment antivirus and firewall software and currently they are still compatible with most of them. However, that compatibility prevents Emsisoft from implementing additional features so they have decided to move away from that compatibility model.

especially with the newly introduced anti-exploit feature.

Emsisoft Community Manager

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:05 AM

Unless I missed something, Emsisoft does not provide full anti-exploit capabilities at this time but it is in the works. When asked about anti-exploit protection last year and earlier this year, Fabian Wosar has said....

The biggest issue with shipping exploit mitigation is the fact that we always tried to maintain compatibility to other AVs and as a consequence a lot of users use EAM alongside another AV. Implementing exploit mitigation will break compatibility to a lot of AVs that also include some kind of exploit mitigation. If you ever tried to run MBAE, EMET or HMPA alongside each other, you will know what I am talking about here. If we do decide to ship some form of exploit mitigation, it will only be after a head start to people have time to decide whether they want to stick to EAM or their existing AV.

Fabian Wosar, Post #6

...No, we do not provide anti-exploit capabilities. We do protect from the payload these exploits drop, but we do not attempt to mitigate the exploit itself.

Fabian Wosar, Post #2

The problem is that a significant portion of our users expect EAM to run alongside other AVs, which often already implement exploit mitigation features. Multiple exploit mitigations will ultimately clash in many cases. If you ever tried to run MBAE alongside EMET you know what I am talking about. So we will do it only if we can somehow maintain compatibility with other AVs.

Fabian Wosar, Post #4

The only thing of the things you listed we don't implement because of compatibility concerns is exploit mitigation. In general we have no plans of introducing another "edition" of our products. It will be extremely confusing to all our users and will have a huge detrimental impact on development speed as it means another 2 code bases that have to be kept in sync and maintained.

Fabian Wosar, Post #4

The answer to that is a bit complicated. Technically, yes...However, you will notice that we do not advertise it and there are also no options for it. It's not listed as a feature either, mostly because it is far from being finished yet. In general I believe holding off security improvements until an arbitrary release date just to somehow "beef up" the release announcement is kind of stupid and not really in the interest of our users. That is why we will roll them out gradually during the coming months and announce them officially once they are complete, the same way we rolled out the script protection in the last version 10 updates already but didn't officially announce them until the version 11 release.

Fabian Wosar, Post #30

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users