Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost.exe trying to hit unknown IP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bmdoubleu

bmdoubleu

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:05 AM

long story long:

I couldn't print wirelessly, so I tried to ping my printer, switch/router/ WAP's and I couldn't ping any of them.  However I had wireless internet access through the WAP's -> router/switch.  I can ping the IP address of this PC and get a response just fine.

I went hardwired and I CAN print and ping on my network.

I noticed that SEP is blocking svchost.exe from hitting an IP that I don't recognize 235.255.255.250 when my network is 192.168.XXX.XXX.  SEP is blocking it every 3-10 minutes.

Running SEP and avast it finds no viruses.  I tried to run the avast boot scan, but the PC got too hot after about 3 hours and shut off... lol.  oh well.

I would like to get this fixed, by fixed, I don't think this svchost should be doing what it's doing and i would to get this machine back on my network wirelessly like it's supposed to be.

EDIT: this is an HP laptop with AMD A10-4600M, less than 3 years old, running windows 8.1, put SEP on it the day I got it and been running like a champ since day one.  

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by bmdoubleu, 28 December 2015 - 11:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jo*

Jo*

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:17 PM

:welcome:

Hi there,

my name is Jo and I will help you with your computer problems.

What is SEP?

Please follow these guidelines:
  • Read and follow the instructions in the sequence they are posted.
  • print or copy & save instructions.
  • back up all your private data / music / important files on another (external) drive before using our tools.
  • Do not install / uninstall any applications, unless otherwise instructed.
  • Use only that tools you have been instructed to use.
  • Copy and Paste the log files inside your post, unless otherwise instructed.
  • Ask for clarification, if you have any questions.
  • Stay with this topic til you get the all clean post.
  • My first language is not english. So please do not use slang or idioms. It could be hard for me to read. Thanks for your understanding.

:step1: Download Security Check by screen317 from here or here.
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
    Vista / Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

:step2: Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit and save it to your desktop.
  • Be sure to print out and follow the instructions provided on that same page.
  • Caution: This is a beta version so please be sure to read the disclaimer and back up all your data before using.
  • Scan your system for malware
With some infections, you may see two messages boxes.
  • 'Could not load protection driver'. Click 'OK'.
  • 'Could not load DDA driver'. Click 'Yes' to this message, to allow the driver to load after a restart. Allow the computer to restart. Continue with the rest of these instructions.
  • If malware is found - do not press the Clean up button, please go to the MBAR folder and then copy/paste the contents of the MBAR-log-***.txt file to your next reply.
  • If there is no malware found, please let me know as well.

:step3: Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
Double-click AdwCleaner.exe
Vista / Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
    The actual line should say "Pending. Please uncheck elements you do not want to remove" => scan is complete.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
  • The contents of the log file may be confusing. Unless you see a program name that you know should not be removed, don't worry about it.
    If you see an entry you want to keep, let me know about it.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.

:step4: MiniToolbox by Farbar

Disable your antivirus if it does not allow you to download the tool!
Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
Place a checkmark in Select all, then click Go and post the result (MTB.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Graduate of the WTT Classroom
Cheers,
Jo
If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 36 hours please send me a PM.

#3 bmdoubleu

bmdoubleu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:35 PM

SEP = Symantec Endpoint Protection.

I will perform the steps this evening.  Thanks.

#4 Jo*

Jo*

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 04:42 AM

Hi,

it has been several days since I sent my last set of instructions to help with your computer problem.

Please let me know if you are having problems and still need help.

Graduate of the WTT Classroom
Cheers,
Jo
If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 36 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users