Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the best (Backup and) Disk Imaging Program for Windows 10 Professional?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:58 AM

Hi all!

Backing up your data and disk imaging are among the most important maintenance tasks users should perform on a regular basis, yet it's one of the most neglected areas.

I have just built myself a new computer, and having decided to improve on the above mentioned statement, I am therefore wondering; What is the best (Backup and) Disk Imaging Program for Windows 10 Professional?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:02 AM

I use two for my Windows 7 Pro:  Macrium Reflect Pro [EZ-usb/dvd boot-media making] and Acronis True Image.  Neither are free.  Macrium Reflect does come in a free version - which is just as good for backups and restore as the paid version.  I recommend two external 1-3TB HDs, make at least monthly or bi-monthly, weekly would be best, full-images of the OS partition and your data partition.  If you plan on having both OS and all your data on one partition -- at least weekly full-images.

Edited by RolandJS, 28 December 2015 - 03:20 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:02 AM

Actually you can get Acronis for free, see here. http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=119&lang=en  You have to have at least 1 Western Digital drive though. The software will not work if it doesn't see at least 1 Western Digital drive. Seagate has the same I believe.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:21 PM

Beware of freebies, what happens if the WD is not recognized, or, another make-HD has to be put into service?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:56 PM

Typically I only use Seagate and Western Digital hard drives so it's not a problem as I have a copy of both.

I also have the full version of Acronis and Symantec's Ghost that I use at work.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:44 PM

I recommend you use a full version, less problems in the long run.  Or, go with Macrium Reflect, free or fee.

Edited by RolandJS, 28 December 2015 - 04:45 PM.

#7 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 764 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:37 AM

Hi, RolandJS & QQQQ!

Thank you both for the prompt and insightful replies! :)

Maybe a bit late information, but I actually have an External HDD -- HD-GD3.0U3-EU -- BUFFALO DriveStation DDR 3TB USB3.0. :thumbup2:

Of course it does include drivers and utilities, which however are incompatible with Windows 10, something which BTW has cost me having to perform a clean install of my OS, see here, so I am forced to use only Windows generic drivers. :(

Anyway, I have read about Acronis True Image, and considering the two different versions -- Acronis True Image 2016 versus Acronis True Image Cloud -- what would you recommend? :unsure:

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 30 December 2015 - 05:30 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:36 PM

Disk Imaging & Backup Software:Free alternatives include:Note: If you have Western Digital hard disks, then you can download Acronis True Image WD Edition Software for free.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 TheITGUI

TheITGUI

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:58 AM

I've tried a few solutions over the years. Clonezilla, Acronis, Macrium. They're all very good but my main thing is that imaging takes a long time to do and I didn't want to have to re-image anytime I had say a virus or some other BS that really could be fixed easily. I started using Rollback Rx and Drive Cloner Rx. In my experience the two work better together than on their own. Rollback works well when I have something I want to do a quick recovery from. So an example was the other day I was told I had cryptolocker, I just went back a few months and it was resolved. It's quite fast doing this!

My only problem with Rollback is that certain issues can compromise it (Windows Updates, Corrupted MBR, Hardware failiure, etc) so Drive Cloner Rx works well as a traditional disk imager and partially why I use it over Acronis or Macrium is that it supports the snapshots Rollback makes which the others don't.

It's a little costly at $110 USD for the two programs ($70 for Rollback, $40 for Drive Cloner) but in my opinion they work real well together. I've never had issues myself and I really like how Rollback works well for faster recovery. It's like WSR if that service did it's job!!! lol

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 January 2016 - 11:58 AM.
language edit

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:22 AM

In regards to Rollback Rx...read this discussion topic: System Restore..Alternative !.

#11 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 764 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:36 PM

Hi, quietman7!

Thank you for the prompt and advicing reply! :)

I have just ordered a perpetual license for Acronis True Image 2016, and have also performed my first full disk image to my External HDD, as well as having scheduled weekly full-images as per RolandJS' suggestion, which BTW is default upon installation. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :thumbup2:

Happy New Year!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 30 December 2015 - 12:38 PM.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:51 PM

You're welcome and Happy New Year.

#13 chiraldude

chiraldude

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:01 AM

Since TheITGUI mentioned cryptolocker, I wanted to jump in and ask a question:

I want ideas for how to secure/block Acronis .tib files so that a cryptolocker virus will have a hard time finding them.

My idea is to create a folder for the Acronis backups on the second HD then remove all access permissions on this folder.  Then create a batch file for Acronis to run before and after the backup so that the backup folder is in stealth mode most of the time so a cryptolocker couldn't find it (in theory).

Sure, the virus could be running in full elevated system privilege and find the hidden folder, enable read/write and encrypt it but I think this is unlikely. 

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:21 AM

You probably have to create a WinPE/Acronis usb-stick or DVD boot, and add the appropriate write permissions scripts.

#15 chiraldude

chiraldude

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:02 AM

I am looking for an automated solution.  The WinPE boot would work but would require the user to manually reboot and select the PE disk.   Mostly I just don't understand how permissions are structured in Windows.  Are you saying that only the PE system could make changes to the permissions? 

Is it not possible to run a script that can remove/restore permissions to a folder automatically?  

Another option might be to unmount the partition.   I think this is less secure because a cryptolocker might be written to unhide partitions since backup data is often stored there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users