Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell inspiron 1720 laptop upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dragonfly5465

dragonfly5465

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:02 AM

I'm looking to possibly upgrade my dell inspiron 1720 laptop.

not sure where to start, or it its even worth upgrading and old laptop (2007).

Vista home premium 32 bit

service pack 2

intel core2 duo CPU T7250 2.00GHz

Ram 2gb

just under 300gb storage split between 3 drives, OS 136gb, datapart1 149gb, recovery 9.99gb

I'm not sure where to start, whether to do the processor or the ram or both.  I only use 68 of the OS memory, so don't think I need to upgrade storage (unless maybe a small SSD would work it this laptop)

I've done a few searches to try to find out what I could do, but am getting conflicting information. nothing more recent than 2010.  some say it can be upgraded but will probably overheat (it dose get very hot as it is), others say that a new processor won't get as hot as the one already installed.

I generally use it for steaming TV/youtube, a little word processing/spreadsheet, downloading eBooks, and playing older games (monkey island/zoo tycoon).

I don't need the newest or best, just want to get it running a little better.

thanks for any advice.

Edited by dragonfly5465, 28 December 2015 - 09:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:38 AM

Hi,

It seems that model can have two hard drives installed I definitively would install an SSD for the Operating System and Programs and also upgrade the RAM to 4GB if your budget allow it.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 dragonfly5465

dragonfly5465
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:22 PM

thanks for the reply, sorry I've taken so long, I wanted to open it up to see what was actual in there.

There are 2 x 1gb ram, do I get 2 x 2gb cards and replace each one, or can I just get 1 4gb ram? (I'm assuming I need 2 but thought I would check)

also, it has two hard drives installed, each one has 160 gb, I think the D and E drives are on one (149+9.99 is just under 160), but only 136 is showing on the OS.  Is this normal? is the other 24 hidden for some reason?

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:34 PM

Hi,

Usually the machines can access the RAM using two channels at same time to speedup things so its better to install 2x2GB, some machines will not work with only 1 Dimm.

Its normal no have an hidden partition containing the Windows recovery (to reinstall Windows like it was from factory).

I would replace the 1st HDD with an SSD of 240GB, you will get speed and extra space.

Edited by SleepyDude, 03 January 2016 - 02:58 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 dragonfly5465

dragonfly5465
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:20 PM

thanks for the info,  that's what I was hoping would work