Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatting Question!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dwest174

dwest174

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:27 AM

I really want to reformat my PC! It needs it badly!  I'm curious if something will go terribly wrong with my network after I reformat?

My PC is directly connected to the cable modem box. It's also connected to a router that my dad's computer wirelessly connects to our internet through.

After I reformat, does anyone know if I'll need to do something special so my dad can continue connecting like usual?  If I reformat my PC, can anyone tell me what I'll have to do to make sure the wireless router works again so my dad can keep getting online as per usual? Thanks a lot for reading my question!

Mod Edit:  Merged topics - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 28 December 2015 - 08:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:10 AM

The usual setup is modem connected to the source cable. Wireless router connected to the modem.

Sounds like your computer is not using WIFI but is directly connected to the router by cable.

Is that your setup?

Your reformatting and reinstalling Windows should have no effect on your dad's wifi connection.

Suggestion....be sure to go directly to Windows Update immediately after reinstall of Windows.

Only accept the Security updates to avoid getting stuck with Windows 10 unless you want it.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:59 AM

Why do you want to reFormat, reinstall, reconfigure, etc., everything your PC?  If the computer is giving you problems, how can you be sure it won't do it again within 3-6 months from now?  What has been done to and by the computer just before things began to go south?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:17 AM

Starting with Windows 8 OEM computer no longer came with a installation disc.  Instead the manufacturer creates a Recovery Partition on the HDD which can be used to reformat and install the operating system.  This will revert the operating system to the condition it was in when it first came out of the box.  This means that anything added after it is first started will be removed.  For this reason you should backup all of your important data to removable media, like an external HDD, flash drive, DVDs, Cloud, etc.

If you post the make and model of this computer I will post instructions for using the Recovery Partition.

If you are sharing a network with you dad you will have to reestablish that connection.

Alternatively you could explain what problem/s you are experiencing and see if we can help you resolve those issues.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users