Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attach second with laptop

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Tabeer

Tabeer

• Banned Spammer
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:19 AM

How to attach second hard drive in my laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:27 AM

If you're wanting a second internal drive I don't think anyone can really answer you without knowing what laptop you've got.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:00 AM

It depends on your laptop model but if it has the standard DVD drive there is an adapter that allows the addition of another HDD but you lose our DVD drive. 

http://www.amazon.com/Protronix-Optical-Drive-Caddy-Universal/dp/B004XIUQYA

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 December 2015 - 09:01 AM.

#4 Tabeer

Tabeer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned Spammer
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:05 AM

O yes rqt. Dell i5. I want to attach 2nd hard drive as external. 

#5 Tabeer

Tabeer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned Spammer
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:08 AM

Thanks JohnC_21 I working on it, weather it is compatible with my laptop or not.

#6 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:36 AM

Dell i5 does not appear to be a complete model number, but this is not important if you want an external drive - in that case you just require a portable USB external drive - these do not require a separate power supply as they take their power from the USB ports (some have a "y" cable that plugs into 2 USB ports on the laptop so that they do not overload a single port).

If your laptop has USB 3 then you would be better having a USB 3 drive as USB 3 is a lot faster than USB 2. However USB 3 is backwards compatible, so you can use a USB 3 drive on a USB 2 port, or a USB 2 drive on a USB 3 port if you have supply or pricing difficulties or if speed is not a concern,

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:36 AM

If want an external drive then you do not want the adapter I linked to. 

#8 Tabeer

Tabeer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned Spammer
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:04 AM

@rbt, My laptop has 2 ports with USB 3. external hard drive has USB 3 port or USB 2 port.

#9 Tabeer

Tabeer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned Spammer
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:10 AM

Can we replace DVD Rom with an internal hard drive in laptop?

#10 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 04:50 AM

An external portable hard drive will probably have only one USB connection - but may possibly have 2 if it's an older USB 2 drive. On drives with 2 USB connections it is not always necessary to use both connections - it depends on the current supplying capability of the USB ports. Standard USB 2 ports have a maximum current output of 0.5A (some USB2 ports have more than the spec however). Standard USB 3 ports have a maximum current output of 0.9A - again some will have more than the spec. As your laptop has USB 3 ports you should be OK to use just one USB connection on an older USB 2 drive with 2 USB plugs.

#11 Tabeer

Tabeer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned Spammer
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:18 AM

Any Hard drive exists which has size equal to DVD Rom fitted in laptops or DVD Rom vary sizes from laptop to laptop?

#12 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:06 AM

Most laptop DVD drives are the size of the adaptor JohnC_21 linked for you above, which has 12.7mm & 9.5mm high alternatives - the 12.7mm high version is much more common.

There are no hard drives this size - so you would need to use one of these adaptors (if they are suitable for your laptop).

You would need to remove your DVD drive so you can check the height before ordering an adaptor (the front trims can be a custom item for each model of laptop so are not a reliable size guide for the rest of the unit). You would then need a 2.5" hard drive or SSD to fit the adaptor - there are (at least) 2 height variations on these as well. The 12.7mm high adaptor should be able to accommodate any available height of 2.5" drive, but I am not so sure about the 9.5mm version. If you need the 9.5mm high adaptor I would not order a drive to fit it until I actually had the adaptor & could measure the available drive height.

Edited by rqt, 31 December 2015 - 04:06 AM.

#13 Tabeer

Tabeer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned Spammer
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:45 AM

I think my dvd rom has length about 6'' and height 12mm. Let me check whether there are any kind of hard drive that fit to my requirement

#14 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 06:09 AM

You cannot get a hard drive the same size as an optical drive - if you want to put a hard drive in an optical drive bay then as already stated you NEED AN ADAPTOR like the one already suggested to you.

A SATA hard drive does not have the same power connection as a SATA optical drive - so even if there was a hard drive the same size as an optical drive it would not connect to the drive bay.

(I would expect your DVD drive is probably 128mm wide x 129mm front to back & either 12.7 or 9.5mm high (most likely 12.7mm).

#15 Tabeer

Tabeer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned Spammer
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:32 AM

I also search for hard drive but ambiguous information are there. I'm not satisfied with that information. Size also is the main issue.

(150 mm wide x 155 mm back and almost 12.7 mm in height ) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users