Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard or RAM issue (my monitor wont work)

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 superQuizzie

superQuizzie

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:44 AM

Hello I have reported this issue to computerforum.com and it is rather slow to get answers so I am asking to both. Here is the link to the other forum I have started I am under superQuizzie.

http://www.computerforum.com/threads/my-monitor-just-simply-wont-work.237311/

Here is my introduction info from the other forum:

So yesterday, I was taking out one of my sticks of ram to see what kind it was. I opened my case to debate whether to take it out now or later, so during that time I decide to put it back, but I accidentally turned it off by having the mother board cable thing (the big main one) wiggle. So I took out one ram stick and looked at it, put it back, but I needed to take out my graphics card to put the ram back, so I took out the graphics card for a moment, put the ram back, then put everything back in order. I try turning it back on, but my monitor says NO SIGNAL, and also my keyboard doesn't turn on but my mouse does. Also something about the start up doesn't sound right, like some other noise is supposed to occur.

So this is what I have tried so far.

Plugging in and out several times
Blowing (with a can) out all of any dust everywhere
Switching around where the mouse, and keyboard are
Tried a different keyboard (no luck there)

(Actually at this point I have tried quite a bit more than just that, but you can see it on the other page)

and all of this has a negative result.

Could someone help me with this situation?

ALSO ALSO BIG IMPORTANT INFO

If there is any way, or shape possible, could I just replace RAM? I am getting 8GB of RAM in the mail on Wednesday, and I would much much much rather have it be a RAM issue.

Please help!

Edited by hamluis, 28 December 2015 - 02:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 swaykeb00b

swaykeb00b

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:08 AM

It seems like a problem with the graphics card. Do this for me:
Unplug your cable going to the screen
Plug it in the the motherboard slot and make sure nothing is connected to the graphics card

Then post back if you got a signal or is able to enter bios

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:22 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

If the operating system has been upgraded, please post what it was upgraded to?

What was being suggested at the other website is that you may have created an electrostatic discharge.  A discharge as little as 10V can kill integrated circuits, RAM modules for example.  When you walk across a carpeted floor during the winter and get that painful shock when you touch the door knob you have been hit with about 2kV!

When you start your computer it goes through the P.O.S.T. (Power On Self Test).  This checks all of the peripheral devices to be sure there isn't a problem with any of them.  Once the POST has run the BIOS will begin to load.  This when you should see your desktop load.

I need the requested information before I can go any further.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 superQuizzie

superQuizzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:52 PM

I haven't tested the graphics card yet so wait a moment swakeyb00b. dc3, I have some information for you.

I have a lenovo Thinkcentre m83 It is modified so it doesn't matter. The things that I have stock are the: Processor, the motherboard, the hard drive, the disk drive, the RAM, and the case. I have upgraded the Graphics card and the Power Supply.

It is currently at windows 10.

#5 superQuizzie

superQuizzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:19 PM

It seems like a problem with the graphics card. Do this for me:
Unplug your cable going to the screen
Plug it in the the motherboard slot and make sure nothing is connected to the graphics card

Then post back if you got a signal or is able to enter bios

Ok so I have tried that and nothing happens. Fortunately its not a GPU problem because I bought mine just in september and it is a GTX 960 so it is really good.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:00 PM

Just because you just bought it and its a good quality card doesn't mean it's not the problem. As DC has stated a static discharge will fry even the absolute best of components. If you have another pc that will run the card I would try it to be sure. I would also remove the memory sticks and try them one by one.

Just to clear something up, was this computer on or off when you were initially messing around with it and the problems started?

Edited by the_patriot11, 28 December 2015 - 06:01 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 superQuizzie

superQuizzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:18 PM

I am sorry to say, but the computer was on when the 24 pin connector was moved. I understand that it was a stupid decision to even take the case off when it was on, and now I get to figure out how to fix it. Also a long time ago the computer that I have for spare (and old) parts also had something wrong with it too.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:20 PM

So you removed the memory stick and/or were in the process of putting it back in while the computer was on? If so the problem was not you bumping the 24 pin-the problem is most likely power arced between the ram slot and the ram, and fried the ram module and/or motherboard. Is there any burn marks on either? They maybe on the back side of the board.

The other possibility is when you bumped the power cable you did so hard enough to bend the board enough for it to ground on the backplate.

Or, the original theory, static electricity from you connected with some integral component inside the case. Static electricity is far more likely to happen when accessing live components.

In all 3 scenarios you have something fried. Merely bumping the 24 pin power connector would not cause it to shutdown unless it was loose and/or bad, in which case it would have most likely been presenting symptoms such as unstable power ahead of time.

I would not use the memory slot you were putting the module Into and use one of the other sticks in the other slots and see if perhaps you can get it to boot that way.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#9 swaykeb00b

swaykeb00b

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:54 PM

Sounds like the exact same scenario i was in, does your computer output a signal through integrated graphics when you remove the graphics card entirely? If so, i would conclude you zapped something or you bought a faulty piece of hardware. Could you list some of the specs here, such as your psu, gpu, cpu and motherboard? It would help me, help you with the first hand experience ive got with this problem.

Edit: Which video cable are you using to input your monitor? If its dvi, try switching to hdmi instead while the graphics card is installed. Ive heard of scenarios where only the video port is damaged/faulty.

Edited by swaykeb00b, 28 December 2015 - 07:56 PM.

#10 superQuizzie

superQuizzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:16 PM

swakeyb00b, there is no signal through the integrated graphics. I have no clue what motherboard I have, what ever the stock motherboard is for the lenovo thinkcentre 83m. I have a Gigabyte GTX 960 G1 Gaming 4GB. i5 6600 (or something like that I cannot remember, it is quad core at 3.33 GHz) I have a corsair 600m psu so that is good.

#11 thevoxhumana

thevoxhumana

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:55 AM

RAM could definitely be one possibility. When you are getting no video, there are the "Big 4" components that could be causing it. Video card, RAM, Processor, or Motherboard.
I am hoping that I read it correctly, and that you powered down the system before your removed the RAM. Otherwise you can damage it, the slots, or the motherboard. If you pulled your video card, and plugged into your on-board video, and still got no signal, then it is completely possible that RAM is the issue.
Also, yes, it could have very likely been a static discharge could have happen.
I also concur that if you get to POST, then you likely have an OS issue.

Never mind my post. You are past all that. the_patriot11 is on it.
Mod Edit:  Merged posts - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 29 December 2015 - 05:23 PM.

#12 superQuizzie

superQuizzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:14 PM

So for the_patriot11, the reason why brushing it would cause it to shut off is because my case is really small, and the hard drive is already pushing the 24 pin connector, so brushing it would make it disconnect.

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:58 PM

So for the_patriot11, the reason why brushing it would cause it to shut off is because my case is really small, and the hard drive is already pushing the 24 pin connector, so brushing it would make it disconnect.

still should not, they have connectors on there if theyre clipped, it should not be able to bump it out, unless you did not clamp it in place. But, the question remains-did you remove and/or try to actually replace the ram module with power to the machine?

picard5.jpg

#14 superQuizzie

superQuizzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:05 PM

The computer was off when I replaced the ram, it was pretty fresh from powering off though.

#15 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:09 PM

have you tried taking out all but one memory module as I suggested, and swapping them out and trying different slots?

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users