Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to reinstall Windows 7 but I have no boot disk! Please help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Xeauni

Xeauni

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:48 AM

Title says it all. I have the product key to my Laptop, on the bottom, but the laptop was pre-owned by my Brother and he no longer has the boot disk to it. Recently someone trying to update my computer completely removed the Windows 7 it was running on and installed a pirated version which, of course, messed up. I ended up having to install Linux (Ubuntu 14.04) just to get it operational.

Linux is alright but a bit too confusing and complicated for me. And it also doesn't run the programs I need it to run. So after about a month or two of trial and testing just to see if maybe I could get to like it I've decided it's just too frustrating for me to get my work done on. So I tried reinstalling Windows 7 using the product key on the bottom.

Thats where I hit the error:

The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.

I've tried googling ways to get around this with no help. And I can't afford a disk. Or a new key. Both are way beyond my budget. Which is pretty much... nothing. Is there a way around this?

The original OS was Windows 7 Home Premium.

Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:17 AM

Does it , or did it have a Recovery Partition , if so go to the manufacturers website for that PC Model and follow the instructions to do a Recovery.

If not , you will have to contact the manufacturer { Being an OEM Version } and request the required disc`s , at a possible cost.

Or unfortunately buy Windows 7 again.

#3 Ghostwalker

Ghostwalker

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:54 AM

You mentioned that you tried reinstalling Windows 7 using the product key on the bottom, not mentioning where you aquired Windows 7.

Digital River was Microsoft's official free download site for Windows 7 that is no longer operational since Feburary 2015.

The only other two options would be:

(1) This Microsoft site where you insert your valid retail product key in order to download an .iso file:

After the product key is verified, select a product language from the menu then select either the 32-bit or 64-bit version to download.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

(2) OEM licenses require a small processing fee to send you a replacement disk from here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/326246

Be very careful to enter the product key exactly without any extra spaces if you are cutting and pasting, it is very common to insert extra spaces.

No matter how good your eyesight is use a magnifying glass to verify the product key!

Edited by Ghostwalker, 28 December 2015 - 05:24 AM.

#4 Xeauni

Xeauni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:50 PM

Does it , or did it have a Recovery Partition , if so go to the manufacturers website for that PC Model and follow the instructions to do a Recovery.

If not , you will have to contact the manufacturer { Being an OEM Version } and request the required disc`s , at a possible cost.

Or unfortunately buy Windows 7 again.

If it did it probably doesn't anymore, when installing Ubuntu I wiped the disk of all it had on it...

You mentioned that you tried reinstalling Windows 7 using the product key on the bottom, not mentioning where you aquired Windows 7.

Digital River was Microsoft's official free download site for Windows 7 that is no longer operational since Feburary 2015.

The only other two options would be:

(1) This Microsoft site where you insert your valid retail product key in order to download an .iso file:

After the product key is verified, select a product language from the menu then select either the 32-bit or 64-bit version to download.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

(2) OEM licenses require a small processing fee to send you a replacement disk from here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/326246

Be very careful to enter the product key exactly without any extra spaces if you are cutting and pasting, it is very common to insert extra spaces.

No matter how good your eyesight is use a magnifying glass to verify the product key!

Sorry for the confusion, what I meant was that I had tried to download Windows 7, but upon trying the first method there, got the error. I guess that means my only option is to buy a replacement disk or an entirely new Windows 7 disk... I guess I'll just be sticking with Linux for now. 

Thanks for the replies, I at least know my options now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users