Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Ram

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Moathais

Moathais

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 10:10 AM

Hi,
I plan on purchasing some RAM for my computer preferably from Newegg because of the excellent prices. When purchasing RAM does it HAVE to match your FSB? I have an Athlon XP2000+ processor which runs at 266Mhz FSB so I was thinking I should buy PC2100 RAM. The only reason I hesitate is because I know I will be upgrading my motherboard and CPU eventually(Sometime before the end of the year hopefully) I don't want to put out money for PC2100 RAM when I can go ahead and buy PC3200 RAM and not have to replace it whenever I upgrade the board and CPU. I guess I'm asking...Would it hurt to buy PC3200 RAM instead of PC2100 and what are the consequences of each decision?

P.S. Has anyone else ever purchased from Newegg using a money order...If so how did that go because I've had bad experiences before when using money orders to purchase online. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:22 AM

There is no problem and it is a good idea. What will happen is that your PC3200 RAM will run at the slower PC2100 ram speed but when you upgrade your board and get a faster FSB well then you will get the full potentional out of your stick of ram.

#3 Moathais

Moathais
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:58 PM

One more quick question...I was looking on Newegg and I noticed that some sticks are 2.5V and some are 2.6V and many other voltages. Does it really matter what voltage the RAM runs at. Also is there a max CAS latency that a motherboard may support because I was aiming for something in the 2-2.5 range. Also is there anything else I might need to watch out for? BTW I have a 350W power supply if that helps any. One more thing...do all motherboards support dual-channel or do just "some"?

Edited by Moathais, 26 July 2006 - 01:04 PM.

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:10 PM

For the first part I cannot awnser that... Going to have to wait for someone more inteligent to past by...

For the dual-channel thing. The awnser is no. Not all motherboards support dual-channel. If you are asking this because of those things in the stores with two ram sticks in a box and has writen dual-channel on it it isn't important really. It's just that they have already matched the two sticks that you need and put a bigger price tag on them. Another way is you just select a ram stick and in your shopping cart put 2 in the quantity and voilą a dual-channel kit :thumbsup:

#5 Moathais

Moathais
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:33 PM

One more quick question lol Just to make sure my motherboard supports DDR3200 is there any way I can check. Note: I don't have the model number of the board though I'm sure that would help...It does have 1 PCIx16 slot so it's not extremely old.

#6 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 03:16 PM

PCI-Express is fairly new ( about 2 years ). And if you're sure that you have a PCI-Express slot you should be able to handle DDR 3200, as it is pretty standerd. To find out what model your motherboard is. You can use this program to find out what your motherboard is. It's very simple and doesn't need to be installed jus run the EXE and within a second or two a screen will pop up with a bunch of information of your computer.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#7 Moathais

Moathais
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:07 PM

Hi again,
I decided to open my case up and luckily the model and manufacturer of my board was right there. It's an ECS L7VMM board and sadly that wasn't a PCI slot it was something called a CNR slot which in my opinion looks alot like a PCIx4 slot. But the one here <http://www.baber.com/baber/411/ecs_l7vmm.htm> has 3 PCI slots while mine has 2 and my southbridge chipset is an 8235 not 8233A. Would that make a difference in me being able to purchase anything higher than PC2100? Sigh... :thumbsup:

Thanks again

Don't know if any of that helps either...

Edited by Moathais, 26 July 2006 - 08:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users