Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2012 Mac Pro GPU Upgrade Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BrentReel

BrentReel

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:44 PM

Hello all!

I currently have a 2012 Mac Pro, the last of the towers as it's known, and I'm looking to do some upgrading. I initially tried to do some research on my own, but I have very little to no experience with computer hardware, and I'm unable to make sense out of the numbers and charts I've been reading. Hence, I'm here asking for help!

I have exactly $1000 to spend on this upgrade, so the card that I choose needs to be no more than $900, leaving room for taxes. I also need a card that will work both with OSX and Win 10 as my comp is dual booted.

I believe I am currently using the ATI Radeon HD 5870, not at home to check atm.

From what I've seen, the suggested cards seem to be...

AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition ($550)

and

PNY Nvidia Quadro K5000 ($1500+)

That said, all the sites I've been looking at seem to be quite outdated, most wrote 2-3 years ago, so I was wondering if there are any newer cards that would fit into that perfect zone between the two cards mentioned above, both in price and performance. 

Any help would be massively appreciated, thank you guys so much! <3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:53 PM

Those gpus are the only ones I could find... Have you considered building a pc?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 BrentReel

BrentReel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:03 PM

I have, but for reasons I'm not gonna drag you into, it's very important to me to keep OsX available to me. I use that to work, then boot into windows for games.

Thanks for taking a look around to confirm my initial thoughts!

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:05 PM

You could always run OsX in a virtual machine.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 BrentReel

BrentReel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:08 PM

I did look into that when I originally bought my Mac, and it seemed that at that time you suffered a significant performance loss when doing that, and the work I do is equally intensive as gaming haha. I'll take another look into it now though, its been about 3 years, so things may have changed.

Edited by BrentReel, 28 December 2015 - 10:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users