Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No boot device available.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zonabb

zonabb

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:39 PM

OK after two days of frustration with no resolution, I need some help. I’m not a computer person, I can follow directions and have made repairs before, including what I suspect will be the end game here: a hard drive enclosure to try and retrieve data and files.

The issue: My computer (Alienware X51, Windows 7 Home Premium) will not boot. This happened suddenly on a restart after uninstalling some Apple itunes component. Never had a problem prior. I get an error when I start says “no boot device available. Press any key to reboot the system.” I ran the ePSA test and got an error code, 2000-0142, which indicates a hard drive failure.

The hard drive appears in the bios under advanced settings as Port2. So I assume it’s being recognized but there might be some issue.

I’ve read a lot and tried a bunch of things, including:

1. Reseated basically everything… ram, hdd, gpu. Initially, I was only getting a black screen, not even the boot error. After reseating, I got to this point.

2. I reset the bios by using the jumper method. I also reset in the actual bios once I was able to get the no boot error and access to bios via f12.

3. I tried but have been completely unable to and perplexed by trying to update the bios using a DOS-formatted thumb drive.

4. Using the recovery discs that came with the machine, I boot from the DVD and tried to recover/repair the OS. When I did, I got a perplexing error: “THIS VERSION OF WINDOWS RECOVERY OPTIONS IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE VERSION OF WINDOWS YOU ARE TRYING TO REPAIR. TRY USING A RECOVERY DISC THAT IS COMPATIBLE WITH THIS VERSION OF WINDOWS.”          

With regard to this, I read a lot of suggestions but most are confusing.

Given that I think the hdd is recognized, I would like to try to figure out the recovery. I don’t want to give up just yet and buy an enclosure and new hdd. That’s my last resort.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zonabb

zonabb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:27 PM

Let me just add that nothing has changed except that I managed to use Ubuntu to boot and able to access the drive that way, based on a website I found. So despite the machine not booting when it tries to boot from the hard drive, the drive is not dead yet. Makes me wonder what the issue is. Obviously connectivity to the drive isn't the problem. Seriously, I think that when I uninstall a single iTunes component, can't remember the name, it did something because on the reboot is when the problem started.

#3 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:41 PM

Hi Zonabb & Welcome to the forums,

The failure of the Short DST test means that a hard disk failure is imminent. The hard disk can become inoperable on the next boot or after some time. As of now, I would suggest you to take a complete backup of the data using Ubuntu. Once you have backed up the data, see if the below steps help you -

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/176124-bcd-death-bcd-missing-bootrec-rebuild-fail-post1498458.html#post1498458

Let me know how it goes ^_^

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#4 zonabb

zonabb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:44 PM

I'm headed to get a backup external drive that's big enough and then hope to come back and back up the hdd. I suspect, as you suggest, that the hdd is going to fail. I'll try to reinstall windows on the drive and check it for errors but I assume I'll be buying a new hdd too and reinstalling on that. 

#5 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 03:37 AM

Hi Zonabb,

Sorry for the delayed response. I have been working on a personal project and enjoying my vacations as well. Can you try placing the Graphics Card in another system and test it?

Are you sure that the BIOS was checking the external GPU for failures? Any chance that it tested only the integrated GPU which is present on the motherboard?

I would recommend that you install freshly Windows 7 on the new machine rather than swapping the hard disks. It is a dicey move and it may or may not work. Since you are having all these troubles, it would be best to do a fresh installation on the new machine ;)

Let me know how it goes ^_^

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#6 zonabb

zonabb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:33 PM

Basically, it seems to turn out that both the hard drive and GPU went. After booting into Ubuntu and seeing the drive, I grabbed everything from it. Ubuntu also tested the drive and it failed, as it did with the built in ePSA test. So i saved all my files and data and reinstalled Windows on a new hdd. Oddly when I went to put the machine back together, I got a black screen again. I determined that for some reason the GPU was failing only when it was plugged back into its slot on the mobo. I had it powered but disconnected, laying outside the machine. So initially, this allowed the machine, I assume, to use the integrated card and go from the pure dead black screen to the no boot screen. So.... the long and shot, I think for some crazy reason, on this perfectly function machine, a restart after an Apple uninstall had the hard drive and GPU go. Now, since I am not a gamer and bought this only because it was the last windows 7 machine I could get, I am running it without the GPU. Seems to work fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users