Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No video signal from GPU.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 swaykeb00b

swaykeb00b

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:26 PM

So i recently had this problem where i concluded my gpu had become faulty, but i was still curious just asking the people on the forums here since you seem to know a good bit about hardware. So basically my scenario was that my Gpu wouldn't output a signal to either of my monitors: I would turn the computer on, having one computer screen hooked to DVI and the other to HDMI. It would display a picture, but only briefly. After the windows login screen (about 5 seconds) the screen would go black and output a signal ''No signal'' (both the monitors). I read up on the issue and had read people were having success unplugging the computer of all power, then doing a power loop while having removed the small battery on the motherboard. No success there, it would still have the same issue. I tried switching the video cables into my motherboard for intel HD graphics, and it wouldnt work. I then found out, aslong as the video card was hooked in the motherboard, it wouldnt work whatsoever. I tried both slots on the motherboard with no success, when i removed the graphics card i had a fully working PC. I then re-installed windows 7 and downloaded all the apropriate up to date drivers and tried, no success. The weird thing is, the graphics card did light up and it did receive enough power; that i made sure of. After testing basically everything i possibly could (From reading success stories with a similar issue) i concluded my video card was fried. Ive now made a request for a new one, since it did come with a 5 year warranty, id like some experts opinions on this matter though. Thanks!

PC specs:

Intel i7 4790k

Asus strix gtx 970

Corsair RM750W

16 GB ram

Asus sabertooth mark1

2 WD NAS drives, 2tb each

1 samsung SSDNOW

One thing id like to note, is all the fans did turn on as usual, and computer was surely running! ^^

:bananas:

Edited by swaykeb00b, 27 December 2015 - 09:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:07 PM

Thanks for the link.

Can you try the GPU in another PC?

"A lizard in the desert wouldn't eat that." ~Gordon Ramsay

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:55 PM

it sounds to me like a faulty video card. Keep in mind, a video card, is in essence, a minature computer inside a computer. It has a processor, just like your computer, a mainboard, and even its own memory. Any one of these parts could have failed, and caused the GPU to not function anymore, yet still allow the fans on the GPU to run properly and still receive full power.  Its often difficult to diagnose exactly what on the card is bad, though in some cases its relatively easy, some manufacturers put lights on their graphics cards, I have (its no longer functioning either) a ASUS 4890 that had these lights, if something wasnt working, the lights would light up-each error had its own light code. Not all manufacturers do this, and those that do usually only put this feature on the high end cards however. If you have another PC to try this card on, I would just to be sure its not the PCI_E slots on your system, but my guess is your card is fried. 

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 swaykeb00b

swaykeb00b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:02 AM

I'm pretty sure it wasnt my motherboard that was faulty, it seemed as the system had hanged itself in a sleep state. But its weird that it qould output signal for like 30 seconds, then go black. I do not have another computer to test it on sadly.

All my components do have red lights blinking on then to make sure they are functioning properly before bootup. The video card did have a small green light on the side, so i assumed it was on, had power etc.

I do beleive however that the internal thermostat in my card had broke, since it did get incredibly hot at one point (didnt notice) since i pretty much game all of the time. Its possible, jut i just dont know.

Ive now made arrangments to replace the card with asus, and ill leave this post open if i have any problem with my new card. Thanks for the input :)

#5 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:54 PM

Just thought I'd mention, it is possible to turn off the GPU in the BIOS, but I doubt it could happen accidentally.

"A lizard in the desert wouldn't eat that." ~Gordon Ramsay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users