Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Crashes / PC Freezes / New Custom PC uild

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowEdge

ShadowEdge

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 07:13 PM

Recently, I've assembled a new custom-built PC. Initially, I was using an old Hard Drive from a previous PC and I had been experiencing crashes (freezes) that caused for the screen to freeze in place and required a hard reset in order to become responsive once more. After installing both a brand new SSD and Hard Drive, and then installing a fresh copy of Windows 10, I'm still experiencing these problems.

A list of my issues:

• Freezing (requires a hard reset)
  • Applications crashing
  • Games crashing
  • Screen becomes erratic, causing for graphics and images to flash across the screen, commonly resulting in a black screen (requires a hard reset) Note: This last one only occurs while I am playing League of Legends. (I pretty much only play League of Legends so I have no way of knowing if it occurs elsewhere.)

A list of my computer specs:

• Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • CPU - AMD FX-6300 (Vishera 32nm Technology)
  • RAM - 8GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
  • MB - ASRock 970M Pro3 (CPUSocket)
  • GPU - 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (MSI)
  • Storage - 232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB ATA Decive   
  • -  931GB Seagate Hard Drive

(Specs courtesy of the program "Speccy"  Screenshot of list is attached.)

The internal temperatures of the system are as follows:

• CPU - 15*C
  • Motherboard - 35*C
  • Graphics Card - 41*C
  • Storage - 35*C (for both)

(These temperatures are as of my writing this. I have about 3 forum tabs open in Google Chrome.)

I have run a Memory Diagnosis and it's results stated that there were no issues with the installed memory.

Thank you for your time,

Zachary T

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:06 PM

Hi Zachary & welcome to the forums ^_^,

If you are experiencing problems after a fresh install of the operating system, chances are that the problem is either with the low level drivers or the hardware. Kindly perform the below free hardware diagnostics (Thanks usasma) -

http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Start with the Furmark Stress Testing and see if it finds anything.

Also, even though you are not experiencing any Blue Screen Of Deaths, kindly upload the ZIP file generated by the following tool (Created by me) -

https://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/

Once the tool has finished collecting the diagnostics, a notepad file would open up containing the location of the ZIP file (By default, it is on your Desktop). Kindly upload the ZIP file with your next post or upload it to a file sharing service and post the link here.

Let me know how it goes ^_^

Regards,

Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#3 ShadowEdge

ShadowEdge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:20 PM

Thank you,

I've preformed both the Furmark Stress Test and the program that you suggested. 
I've included the .zip file that the program generated and I will explain the results of the stress test.

Results:

-Time spent running the test: Approx. 5 Minutes.
      -Max Temp.: 76*C (Floated at 74-76*C)

-About three times, the image stopped moving and the frames would drop down to around 19FPS. This lasted for a second or so and it would return to normal.

Attached Files

#4 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 04:05 AM

Hi Zachary ^_^,

I have analysed your ZIP file but sadly it does not contain any Dump files. Although on the bright side, there is information present in the reports.

Firstly, I see that the System Event log reports corruption of the C: drive. I assume that you are using the SSD for the Windows installation. Also, I see that there are reports in which the Event Log has said that the system failed to create a minidump file from the Full Dump. This implies two things -

1. You are experiencing a Blue Screen Of Death. In the reports, I see that there is a Full Dump file available at this location - C:\Windows\Memory.dmp . This would be a 440MB file. Kindly ZIP this file and upload it to a 3rd party file host like MediaFire, OneDrive etc and post a link to that with your next post. That would help me in diagnosing the problem.
  2. There are various reasons that the system is failing to create the minidump file. One of the most prominent reasons is that there are problems with the RAM or the hard disk or in this case could be the controllers on the motherboard as well.

Did you perform the rest of the hardware diagnostics present on that page? What was the result of Prime95, Memtest and the Hard Disk Tests? What is the model and the wattage of the PSU which you have installed on the system?

I hope you are not overclocking the system. If yes, then please reset the BIOS to stock default settings. Have you tried putting the RAM in a different slot?

Let me know how it goes ^_^

-Pranav

Edited by blueelvis, 02 January 2016 - 04:06 AM.

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#5 ShadowEdge

ShadowEdge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:57 AM

Hello, 

I have zipped the file that you asked for and included a link to it. 

I completed the memtest that is built into Windows 10 prior to submitting my initial topic and it resulted in zero problems.

As for the other tests, I attempted to complete the Prime95 test and unfortunately, I just don't understand what I am meant to be doing.

As for the others, I don't have a disk drive with which to complete the tests.

On to the RAM sticks and moving them around. I was aware that RAM might be an issue. That being said, my RAM sticks are located in a part of my PC that is incredibly difficult to access. I wanted to be sure that there was no other problem before going in and potentially damaging parts of my hardware. 

(I should state if it is not immediately obvious that I am not experienced with computer assembly and software maintenance at more than a basic level.)

Memory.dmp:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ktrmryzh8zn8u1n/MEMORY.rar?dl=0

Once again, thank you very much for taking up your time to help me. 

-Zachary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users